What Do You Feed Your Puppy?

Leenie

My sister has recently become the proud mum of two Ridgy x puppies from a shelter. I have given her feeding advice, BARF recipes, etc. Her friend is going to be looking after them for a week or two while she is away for work. She wants to send them along with BARF patties and a dry food "because it's easier" for the friend. What do you guys feed? Nutro Choice or something like that would be what I recommend to her... any other suggestions? Thanks!

Edited by Leenie

My sister has recently become the proud mum of two Ridgy x puppies from a shelter. I have given her feeding advice, BARF recipes, etc. Her friend is going to be looking after them for a week or two while she is away for work. She wants to send them along with BARF patties and a dry food "because it's easier" for the friend. What do you guys feed? Nutro Choice or something like that would be what I recommend to her... any other suggestions? Thanks!

Mine get chicken mince, some veggies sometimes and advance growth large breed. Also a chicken wing each as a snack.

:thumbsup:

Plase can I ask where you got your Barf recipes from?

I feed my girl Royal Canin. She was fed that at the shelter so I'm just continuing her on that. A family friend feeds her dog Advance and swears by it, so when Jorja is almost finished her packet I want to try her on that.

Good on your friend for adopting two pups from a shelter. You should invite her on to join DOL :thumbsup:

I'm in Cairns. Can't get Nutro here unless you have it shipped to you.

There are a couple of DOL advertisers who can ship it up here.

Probably easier to go with something in the pet supplies place though - Pet Cafe on Anderson St sells superpremium at a reasonable price. Would probably only need to get a smallish bag.

what I want to know is, where the hell does she get her BARF patties from!?!?!?! That would solve almost all my problems!

Jonty is on Royal Canin Maxi Junior - plus chicken wings, chicken frame, bone, lamb neck (something different eveyday to chew on).

I also think you should get your sister to join DOL and the come over to the Ridgy thread and post heaps of pics :thumbsup:

Edited by maya papaya

There are plenty of readily available and good quality puppy foods around. I like Advance, and fed this with raw chicken necks/wings, mushed vegies, and fruit, occasional eggs/ low fat yoghurt. I think if you feed a good quality dry as a base food and then add different stuff to get them used to different tastes and textures you can't go wrong. Bones are very important (as we all know) :thumbsup:

I got my little one used to eating raw pieces of apple and pear when she was little, along with celery and carrot and now she loves tham as a treat, which is great .

I feed innova puppy.

As well as that, I feed roo mince mixed up with grated carrot, capsicum and spinach - with some more innova kibble (wet) mixed in as my pup tends to pick out some of the dry stuff and hide it for later.

He also gets a chicken neck daily and once a week he gets a meaty lamb bone.

Found out last night that he LOVES sugar snap peas, when one of mine fell on the ground. He thought it was a great toy and played with it and then ate it.

So I might start using them as a treat :)

Both my pups are fed cooked mince with pasta and veggies - I alternate between chicken, beef and roo. A meaty bone each during the day. I also mix in some dry food in the mix too.

Nice healthy pups with shiny coats - had this diet for my previous blue heeler and never had health problems.

I tried the commercial canned food, but it gives them runny poos - with this diet nothing but firm stools.

Doe people make their own BARF food, or do they buy it prepackaged?

I buy them premade in frozen patties, i find them really convenient, i have a small dog so they last a while too.

I buy them premade in frozen patties, i find them really convenient, i have a small dog so they last a while too.

Where do you buy them from?

Where do you buy them from?

Can someone tell me what BARF patties actually are? :rofl:

This website has info on the patties and the BARF diet: http://www.barfvictoria.com.au/

They are just premade BARF that is frozen, so you don't have to make it yourself. there are heaps of threads on BARF, if you do a search there is a lot of useful information.

There are a few suppliers around but I'm in Perth, I don't know where you would get them from in Melbourne?

Since i have changed to BARF Kyzer's rashes on his chest have completely cleared up :rolleyes: the vet just kept prescribing antihistamines but it was all in the diet