Dog Groomers?

Hey Guys,

I am seriously considering becoming a groomer, there are certain objectives to fast before hand.

But I would very much appreciate the advice/opinions of those who have been involved in this field of work...the positive and negatives in this line of work and if you know...the positives and negatives in running this sort of business...

I have also looking into these franchise's...now I have to say having previously been involved with Franchises I am extremely wary...I can see the positives of them....but what are your thoughts?

Any insight would be extremely appreciated...thanks everyone :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn to groom breeds correctly & if you cant manage a set breed trim mbe honest & tell the client.

There is nothing more destressing & seeing a mess created by a groomer.

Go to dogshows whilst some trims are show trims the basics breed fundementals are there & you can learn alot especially if there is a particualr trend in breeds from your area.

Schnauzers seem to be the most butchered breed by many groomers.They are a own breed but the shocking things groomers do to them is just amazinng considering there are good books to learn from aswell.

So many seem obsesed with trimming there beards which is the age of the dog & doesnt grow back very quickly.

Never take a clients word for what they want always make sure,many say all off so most groomers just clip off when infact that isnt what they meant,Always ask,double check.

It is hard work & to maintain a consistant cliental youu need returns & referrals do a bad jobs & you get neither

It depends on what you are looking for.........It sounds like you may be considering a Mobile business if you are talking franchises. Basically with franchises you are not your own boss you have them breathing down your neck for their bookwork & commissions.......It is also an expensive way to start.

If you want to make alot of money, you need to open a salon, it is not possible to make a fortune as a Mobile.....You should take the time & get trained, to set yourself apart from the hundreds of people who call themselves Groomers but actually havent got a clue. Perhaps you could get a job in a Salon, you would probably earn the same amount as being a self employed Mobile , without the hassles!

i loved it for about 12mths, 4 yrs later i hated it with a great passion :)

dogs that bite, cranky customers who expect miracles that just are not going to happen, the bad back OMG the bad back...lol...

Edited by lea

While I don't know how to clip, I wash and do brush outs at work and at a previous job with a groomer.

I am sure you know it is very physical work and at times very dirty! And yes you get the bitey dogs, very scared dogs, very matted dogs. Some you can tell have not had a brush since the last time they were in. And I sometimes talk to clients about what they want - showdog is right, you can't always make sense of what they say! The one that gets me is 'not too short' - we get that all the time - what on earth is that supposed to mean? :)

Thank you very much for that :)

Nice to see someone else in the Hunter :laugh:

Hope to see you round the rings with your new baby :D

..I have checked out their site before, I have found there fees a little high though I have to say...

Compared to the MDBA I mean :love:

Edited by mickatie

I enjoy seeing the dogs looking good afterwards. But it can be frustrating with some return customers if their dogs are always a mess, and if the dog is difficult to do. As I work primarily as an Animal Attendant and am not my own boss, the pay is not good (the same for most animal related jobs, animal attending, grooming, vet nursing).

Guest Amy Rose

mickatie, I work as a groomer and as a kennel attendant (two different employers) and while both look glamorous from the outside, they are a LOT of work.

Kennel attendant = cleaning. Barely any time to hang with the dogs. Cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning! The amount these dogs poo, my god! :) I had my first day at this job today, and I was shocked as to how different it was in real life than how I imagined it to be. Don't get me wrong, I had fun and met a lot of beautiful dogs! (My first deerhound... :laugh:), but you have to be fit, quick on your feet and fairly strong to do it. My duties currently include feeding (FUN! :love:), cleaning the runs (pooper scopping... so much pooper scooping... and then disinfecting and hosing after taking the dogs to the exercise runs), and washing and drying dogs that are being taken home in the next day. I'm not sure how many kennels hydrobath and I was lucky as I already knew how to do it! Then go home and sleep for 3 hours. LOL. Oh, and you start early (7:30am).

Grooming is my current love. I have a mobile business but it's crap, working in a salon is 100 times better. The money is pretty bad unless you're able to breed cut (which I can't do, so I'm poor!), this job will mostly involve washing and drying for the first month or two that you're there. You will be so sick of washing and drying by the end of it! I worked as a bather at a previous salon for a year so I'm already beginning my grooming training, and it's very exciting. I need to find some really good grooming books so I can study it.

As previously mentioned, franchises are nowhere near as good as they appear. They cost a bomb to set up and while they 'guarantee' a certain amount of earning per week/month, it's never as simple as that. I bought my own trailer straight out and found it a lot easier to do (but might be selling it soon since I'm so busy with work and OH won't carry the business by himself).

The whole time I worked at the other salon, I was bitten by one dog, and that happened 3 times. So I consider that pretty good innings! She was so evil. :D She was a rescue with a past of abuse and my boss refused to say no to any dog. My new boss, however, is a lot more picky about the dogs she gets in, and she's a showie, so I'm learning a lot from her!

If nothing else, research poodle, westie, shih tzu and schnauzer cuts, as they seem to be the most commonly groomed dogs. Heaps and HEAPS of oodles with barely-managable coats, too!

I hope this huge block of text helps you. :D

Guest Amy Rose

Oooh, and if you want to work in a grooming salon, just go in and apply in person. I did that with the first salon, and both the regular groomers at my new salon did the same thing. I've never seen a groomer advertise, even when they needed new people! Volunteering is a great idea, too, and will give you that needed experience! Good luck. :)

My last post seemed a bit negative, but grooming is the best job I've ever had, seriously. It's very fun and even better when you've got a great boss and workmates.

You mean Pure Schnauzers still exist???

I think you have an advantage there showdog. You probably groom some of your puppies that have owners that want them in proper trim.

Any Schnauzers I do (most nowadays aint pure regardless of what their owners think! Normally they are poodle crosses), I actually get asked to trim the beards up. Good thing too given they are normally matted solid and have 12 weeks of food glued in them.

Edited by Ari

Guest Amy Rose

Physically I don't find it too bad, but I am only 22 and have never had a back problem. I try not to bend over too quickly or severely though. I've seen older people come and go pretty quickly, as they can't do all the bending that is involved. Probably only a 5/10 on the pain scale. :p

Thank you very much for that :p

Nice to see someone else in the Hunter :confused:

Hope to see you round the rings with your new baby :)

..I have checked out their site before, I have found there fees a little high though I have to say...

Compared to the MDBA I mean ;)

That's ok, I too am very interested in learning to groom and have considerd the Grooming School, but like you the price has been a big factor in why I haven't done it yet. I'm going to America in September and hope to check out a few of the salons over there and get some insight of the way it's run over there, should be interesting :eek:

I agree, it's really is nice to see locals around here - especially ones with northern breeds :eek: Hope to see you around the rings as well!