Walkies

tryamartimmy

Hi all.

;)

I've been walking my 5mth old Chi for the last two months or so down at the beach and at a local school oval after all the kiddies have gone (among other places), but it's always just been maybe half an hour at a time. We've also driven to each spot we were going to have a play at, rather than walking there.

Yesterday morning, I got up early to take Tahni for a walk but this time, I chucked a water bottle, her treats and travel bowl into a small backpack and we walked all the way to the park. It's a good 20 minute walk there and she was let off the leash straight away, seeing as there were no kids or dogs around to distract or cause her to wander off. She was fine on the way there, and flying around the oval playing chasey with me (which I hurt my foot again by doing so- silly me). We had some water together after about half an hour and set off for home- a slightly different route from the way we came. It takes about 5 minutes more.

About three quarters of the way there, Tahni was panting a bit and looking up at me like 'gee mum, can't you just carry me?' so I stopped and gave her some more water which she didn't actually seem all that interested in, then we set off again. A little bit more up the path, I gave in and picked her up, walking her to within the last 100 metres to our house.

She was fine. Just kept on panting, and kissing my ear as she enjoyed the view from on high.

Now, I thought that she would have been all tuckered out and would head straight for her bed and brekkie, but she just took a few moments for a drink, then was off for zoomies around the living room.

So was the panting just because she was hot, not tired? In which case, should I have not given in to her?

Is there such a thing as over doing it with little dogs?

How much does everyone elses dog do before they give you the tired eyes?

Well, Leah is just 5 months old and being a Goldie puppy I wouldn't be able to carry her if she got too tired. ;)

Yesterday at in puppy class we went for a shortish walk, did some training and then went around the puppy confidence course. Leah is the oldest yet she was absolutely tuckered out before the others. I stopped and let her have a lay down, while the others kept on going, then we let all the dog's off lead and she got up and did zoomies with all the others. Instant recovery.

They do get tired and hot and thirsty, but can recover pretty quickly if it's something they want to do. Tahni probably had a nice rest while you carried her. Smart puppy. I think it's just a matter of building up their stamina slowly.

One of the walks we do is about 5km as a there and back. On the way back, not even a quarter of the way back, Indy will ALWAYS want to stop at the same place and flop down frog dog style, and check out the world. Then he'll want to do a good roll in the grass. Once he's done that, he's happy, and we'll continue :(

the only thing we can put it down to is it's the best patch of soft green grass on that walk :) That's as much coddling as he gets - we have to stop until he's ready or he won't get up ;)

How much does everyone elses dog do before they give you the tired eyes?

I've not seen the tired eyes yet ;)

haha me neither!

Are Tenties capable of giving tired eyes? :laugh: :D

Edited by amypie

oh dear im a sucker for picking up Jorja :laugh: Not when we go for walks but at home. She likes to snuggle in our arms or on our lap but the moment I put her in her basket she is a bundle of energy again... well until I pick her up where she dozes off lol

Edited by KittyCat

One of the walks we do is about 5km as a there and back. On the way back, not even a quarter of the way back, Indy will ALWAYS want to stop at the same place and flop down frog dog style, and check out the world. Then he'll want to do a good roll in the grass. Once he's done that, he's happy, and we'll continue :D

the only thing we can put it down to is it's the best patch of soft green grass on that walk ;) That's as much coddling as he gets - we have to stop until he's ready or he won't get up :laugh:

Haha. Tahni doesn't actually stop, she just gives me 'the look'. I think I'm just over mothering. I'm such a pushover for her.

Haha. Sounds like my Morgan. She's got oodles and oodles of energy though, so we hardly ever get that problem. But when I walk her to the local offlead park and she's done with her zoomies and wants to go home, she will sit in front of me and look up with begging eyes. If I ignore her and keep walking, she will keep running in front of me and cutting me off by sitting still in my path whilst looking up at me. She won't stop till I put the lead back on and take her home, lol. I think I over-mother her too! In fact, I've been told many times that I do (mainly by the boyfriend who now gets less mothering since the pup, :laugh: ).

Given that you say it was 20 mins there,30 mins of offleash playing then 25 mins walk home i would safely say that is way to much for a puppy.

My large breed pups do no where near that until 12 months

I was going to say the same as showdog. My pup is now about 7 months and 25kg. You have to be careful with the bigger dogs while the bones are growing (risk of hip and elbow problems if overexercised). Breeder warned me- he'll walk you for 5km, but don't overexercise him!

A chi has only little legs, several steps to just one of yours. I'm sure she was just tired.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with carrying her, per se, as long as your a consistent leader generally. It's easy to spoil a pup, but it doesn't make them happy: They need a caring, consistent leader to teach them to be wonderful companions.

I know my dogs are bigger, but even at the same age as your dog they were doing 2ks per day easy... now they do about 5ks depending on when I can get them out and the work load..when we are on the farm about 10...but my dogs are the sort that can run all day and not complain.. infact the Problem Child even when exhausted still wants to keep going especially if there is the prospect of either something to chase or scent.. Bloody staffy determination...

We had a chi on the farm and at 1 year he would follow my OH on his daily run which was 10k... that dog was not coddled in any way lived and slept outside and no treats for this dog.. had balls of steel, if it did get tired it would just flop and then catch up by taking a shortcut..