Garlic In The Dogs Food?

I use garlic for the dog, cats and horses (although I may stop -whole other story) and it does seem to slow down insect bites but there is no way I would trust it as a heartworm preventative. My girl gets her annual injection.

Some caution needs to be exercised feeding garlic. Too much can cause anaemia in dogs. Garlic is a member of the onion family. Dogs and onions don't mix. :thumbsup:

There is no way I'd trust garlic to prevent heartworm... any more than I'd trust it to prevent intestinal worms.

Some caution needs to be exercised feeding garlic. Too much can cause anaemia in dogs. Garlic is a member of the onion family. Dogs and onions don't mix. :rofl:

There is no way I'd trust garlic to prevent heartworm... any more than I'd trust it to prevent intestinal worms.

:thumbsup: Exactly!

Some caution needs to be exercised feeding garlic. Too much can cause anaemia in dogs. Garlic is a member of the onion family. Dogs and onions don't mix. :eek:

Right on. :thumbsup::rofl:

I give my dogs garlic from time to time, with no ill effects. BUT never as a heartworm preventive. You know, there are decent monthly h/w preventives available now. And you can buy them online much cheaper than at your vet clinic. Check out pricelesspets.com.au for a look at just how affordable these products can be.

Please don't risk your dog's life b/c of some old wive's tale. :thumbsup:

Garlic has some medicinal properties and I too supplement with it at intervals, but as it's been said above care must be taken with dosage.

I would reccomend to not stop using heartworm or intestinal worm medication.

I give my dogs garlic from time to time, with no ill effects. BUT never as a heartworm preventive. You know, there are decent monthly h/w preventives available now. And you can buy them online much cheaper than at your vet clinic. Check out pricelesspets.com.au for a look at just how affordable these products can be.

Please don't risk your dog's life b/c of some old wive's tale. :rofl:

My dogs get the annual injection. Just thought I would ask here about what I had heard as there are some many people on here that are knowledgable.