Dog Dryers

Hi Guys,

I was wondering - what type of Dryer would you recommend for 'private' use - I want one with enough power to wash 2 Aussies, have enough force and power to also 'set' the hair a little, but obviously don't have $1500 to buy the top of the range ones..

Where would I find one from and what price would I be looking at???

Even better - anyone have any 2nd hand ones going???

The Ezy coat twim motor dryer is a good buy, it is heavy duty and works exceptionally well but it is quite noisey and retails around $700+.

My favourite dryer is the 'Hurricane' from The Melbourne Dog centre (I own 2 of them) I think it retails at around $500 it is powerful (I can use it to dry my standards), quiet, light weight and it comes with a well shaped nozzle perfect for getting off excess water before fluffing up.

My dryer is a liberty, which has served me well for 7 years, and it was 2 yrs old when i got it with my business. I have retired it now, not that there was anything wrong with it, for one i got on ebay with a narrower nozzle, which works faster for me. Cost around $250. There are others on ebay atm, i just looked.

Am about to go into a heated oldfield, when i get my new business started in a few weeks. Not sure how it will go but have heard good things, and some bad. Fingers crossed mine isnt a dud.

First decison Leo is whether you want a force or a stand dryer.

Stand dryers are the pick for people who need to brush coat as it dries (like we poodle folk). It means you can direct the nozzle and then go hands off to brush the coat.

Most other dryers (like force dryers) just have a hose that you direct air at the dog with.. they can be more powerful than stand dryers and groomers use them to literally blow coat out of the dog.

I'd be asking on the Aussie list what people recommend. I'd say you'd be going for the force type - whether it has a heater or just blows air over the motor (that type tend to be cooler but still warm) will also dictate price.

Once you know what you're looking for, keep an eye on the Classifieds here - I've seen a few. Some posts on yahoo lists might also throw one up.

I've got two dryers and bought them both second hand.

I've got an Ezycoat dryer. We went with the single motor hose dryer as shown in this link. The price is $410 - we got ours a couple of years ago and I think it cost us high $300's

http://www.ezycoat.com.au/frame_index.html

I'm pretty sure I ended up getting one of these as someone here pointed me in the direction of them when I asked the same question a few years ago. I did a bit of a search for the thread but I can't find it.

I have two Alaskan Malamutes and it's powerful enough to get them dry as well as loosen all their undercoat and "blow out' any loose/dead hair.

I don't show nor do I do any fancy type of grooming - ours is soley for home use. I use it for getting the dogs dry after they have been bathed or gone out in the rain as well us using it when they are dry just to get rid of excess hair prior to brushing.

The Double k Dryer from Clipperworld :confused:

I brought one when i wash washing dogs as a businesss an just brought myself another one for home

http://www.clipperworld.com.au/shop/index....p;productId=124

on special for $435

I agree with 4 Paws the Double K Airmax. It has two motors and resonably priced.

I recommend the Double K Airmax as well :laugh::rofl: I am really impressed with it, it dries my Keeshond really quickly and she has a huge coat now :rofl:

Edited by Weimlover

Thanks everyone :thumbsup: Given me a starting point :rofl:

PF - I've been speaking to L &K's breeder (who is a groomer) and I didn't realise there were two types - definately the one with the nozzle - the force dryer not the stand one :rofl:

Of course you can fit a nozzle to a stand dryer Leo - I start that way to get excess water out of the poodle's coats and then take it off and go hands free for finishing and brushing.

The force dryers are likely to be far more powerful but mine doesn't have a heater. This is no big issue as once the motor warms up the air is warm but it's not as warm as a heated one. Both of mine are Liberty. They manufacture their dryers at Somerville on the Mornington Peninsula and provide good after sales service. I'd definitely look at them - they make both types.

Here's their website. The dryers in the pics on the high stands are "stand" dryers and the low squat ones are force dryers. I do find it handy to have one on a stand for moving around and you don't need it on a bench either. Liberty's force dryers tend to have more than one outlet - overkill for a hobby groomer but if you can get one second hand they are good. They also do a single outlet one. I'd give them a call - they may have some older reconditioned ones.

Edited by poodlefan

The Double k Dryer from Clipperworld :thumbsup:

I brought one when i wash washing dogs as a businesss an just brought myself another one for home

http://www.clipperworld.com.au/shop/index....p;productId=124

on special for $435

I'll second that - I got mine on Ebay for a bit less than that (I think) and use it with Borders and it does an excellent job. Bathing is SO much quicker and easier now and their coats finish off much better IMO

We have a metro cyclinder ,2 liberty stand,1 oldfield force,1 oldfield stand .

For the showdogs i like the liberty stand simply due to the fact the air isnt as powerful so it dries the coat softer.In my breed the oldfield force is too harsh & doesnt give me the finish i want.

The oldfield force we swear by in the salon & for breeds where getting the water out is important then its super & with the right coat gives a great finish.

The oldfield stand i dont like very hard to keep the hose attached,so really needsto be used as a no hands dryer.

I have friends that use the liberty stand & ezy coat with no issues at all.