How Much Do Cavaliers Malt

kezza

Hi have just purchased a Cavalier King Charles puppy and would like to know how much do they malt. Do they leave hair all over your clothes when you hold them and also all over the house. We have a golden retreiver and my husband is worried she might malt like she does.Thanks for any advice.Kezza

Ask your breeder what they recommend for brushing. Brushing will help get that extra hair off.

Also, when pup's older, a high force dryer after a bath can also help blast some fur out of their coat. Grooming salon. I'm not sure if all mobile groomers have dryers. They're used on mini and toy poodles, so are OK for smaller dogs.

HAven't used a furminator, am blessed with zero fur at my place (poodles :laugh: ).

Yes if hair on furniture, clothes and carpets are a problem for you a Cavalier is not the best choice. I didn't realise how much they lose till my black and tan started sleeping on my bed - the black shows up a lot more than ruby or blenheim hairs.... :whiteflag:

Yep we had a cavie for a few months & we are still finding its hair everywhere LOL

The breeder is your best source of advice but to keep the coat lowish shedding you need to put the time in,The same as a goldie,the more your brush the coat thoroughly with a shedding rake the less goldie hair you will get

I owned a darling litlte cavalier for many years (well maybe not enough years) RIP Poppy

I now own golden retrievers

yep they moult as much as the retreivers :whiteflag:

but certainly both beautiful dogs

I owned a darling litlte cavalier for many years (well maybe not enough years) RIP Poppy

I now own golden retrievers

yep they moult as much as the retreivers :laugh:

but certainly both beautiful dogs

As everyone has said they molt a fair bit. Brushing weekly will reduce the amont of hair around, during molt brush a few times a week. With my old cav one he got older around 6-7 I used to clip his body short, leaving his ears and tail long I think he looked beautiful still and it reduced the amount of hair around the house. We have a cav puppy now, until he gets his full coat he shouldnt molt too much but i'm brushing him weekly now to get into the routine and so he gets used to it. I use a slicker brush for the whole coat/ears/tail that gives the coat a real good brush out and i use a fine comb and a shedding comb to make sure there arn't any knots ive missed. However it is a good idea to use a softer type brush to begin with as those brushes are quite harsh and most puppys will not like them.

You can use a slicker brush. They look like this....post-6819-1187009273_thumb.jpg

I use them on both a large standard poodle and a cav-sized mini poodle. I'd use a small-medium size for your cav.

SOFT type is a must- either try it on your arm first (should be comfortable when you use it) or buy a recommended brand (e.g. Doggyman, Lawrence Tendercare Super Soft etc.). Buy a cheapie one or a firm one and your puppy will hate you.

When the cav grows its adult coat it's best to brush and comb every second day. This way you prevent matts from forming.

With puppies I brush them with a soft baby brush every day to get them used to being groomed. It's wise to pay particular attention to behind the ears. This is usually the first place they will get matts.

If I left my girl for a week without brushing and combing she would be very matted, she has very fine silky hair. My boy has a coarser coat and doesn't matt as easily as the girl but he still gets brushed every second day. His fine hair behind the ears and between the back legs where his testicles used to be will matt. I also check the 'armpits' because that can be another problem area.

I have never clipped or shaved my Cavs. They are not a breed that is normally clipped. I scissor them to keep them tidy. If you clip them the coat tends to grow woolly and it really changes the texture of their lovely coats IMO. Show Cavaliers are never clipped.

I have a slicker brush but I find the Furminator does a better job and they quite like the feeling of it. They're not too fond of the slicker even though I'm gentle with it and it is a soft one. I use the furminator only after they have been dried after their bath.

My old cavs coat went wooley after we has him castrated... has anyone else found that? I ask as Marley will be reaching 6months soon so we'll be getting that letter from the vet, I had read on another cav forum that some people had found that their coats had changed after castration. However my cav was older (I think 6) when he was castrated so its not like I can compare him to a young dog thats castrated. Anyhow jsut seeing the word wooley reminded me, any opinions on that?

I had my boy desexed right on 24 weeks and his coat is still sleek. He has got a very full, thick coat but definitely not woolly, just a darn lot of hair. I use thinning scissors when grooming him. His coat looks very shiny and healthy. He had a fairly big coat before he was desexed.

My girl was 16 weeks old when I got her. The breeder was going to show her but she hurt her back (the breeder, not the dog) so that put her out of the show ring. She had my girl desexed at 15 weeks when she decided to sell her. The girl has more of a puppy coat than my boy. She's 2yo now and I don't think she'll ever have a big coat. She's fine and silky.

Some Cavs get a very different coat after desexing and some don't seem to change much. I sold two girls to a friend and warned her that they would probably get huge coats when they were desexed (their mum had a massive coat and she was not desexed) but they are three and still don't have much of a coat!

Ok then, I guess we'll just have to wait and see I don't mind either way. Its amazing how different their coats can be, I know a cav girl who has never developed hairy feet they look like they've been trimmed short, really strange. Where as Marley has had really hairy feet since he was 9 weeks.

One other question seeming it was over 14 years since we had a puppy, at what age approximatly do cavs get their adult coat? I can remember my last cav Jakey went through a really 'teen' phase and we thought he was never going to grow long hair (we were VERY wrong!) I think it wasnt until he was about 2 that he had his full coat... does that sound about right?

Yes they moult but they don't need clipping every 6 weeks.

Entire Ch. boy with easy care coat.

Photo of our motorhome carpet after 3 days, DH uses his sneakers to collect fur. :rolleyes:

post-4270-1187157836_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ashka

Hi have just purchased a Cavalier King Charles puppy and would like to know how much do they malt. Do they leave hair all over your clothes when you hold them and also all over the house. We have a golden retreiver and my husband is worried she might malt like she does.Thanks for any advice.Kezza

All animals moult at some point (apart from the ones that do not ie Mexican hairless, obviously poodles by another post etc) particully now coming on to spring when they lose there winter coat. I have all 4 colours and their coats are all different. The black and tan is much coarser. It also depends on the dog, some loose more that others. But regular grooming fixs most of the problem. Definetly recomend the furminator. :rolleyes: