Hyperthyroidism- I Think Bondi Has It

Since monday morning have noticed that Bondi has had runny nose, and has been heaving like she had something in her throat (sounded like she was trying to clear phlem out). So i thought it was just a cold...

Then later that day i gave her a bone, that afternoon she was heaving/clearing her throat, i thought it must b a bone stuck, felt around thought i felt a lump in her throat, but then I found the bone outside so its not that.

Now Ive noticed that the sided of her throat/back of cheeks are both equally swollen, and im pretty sure this is where the thyroid glands are. They are swollen and hard, so im staying home from school to take her to the vet tommorrow.

She is thin and hypo, so hyperthyroidism would explain that, and also I think Boxers are prone to it..

But I'm hoping that im wrong and it is just a cold after all!

Will update after her vet visit

Edited by boxagirl

I agree that it sounds like Canine Cough. Doesn't sound like hypothyroidism. And hyperthyroidism is rare in dogs.

Either way, I'm sure you'll find out once you've been to the Vet. Hope it's a simple health issue that is easily treated and has a swift recovery.

From your description it sounds like Kennel Cough.

My first thought, too. I had no idea what it was, at first, when one of my dogs had it. Was like he was trying to bring something up, rather than a cough at first. If it is KC, vet sometimes prescribe antibiotics in case they've got a bacterial infection on top of the KC (virus).

Thyroid gland is in the centre of the neck.

Boxers can lose weight easily and are normally pretty hyperactive :laugh:. THey should be lean, but maybe you can post a pic, so some boxer people can advise if she is too thin? Might need to look at her diet if it's not just the sore throat that's caused her to eat less very recently.

Best wishes, Bondi :)

From your description it sounds as if the submandibular or parotid glands are enlarged, it could be kennel cough or it could also be tonsillitis. Untreated tonsillitis will produce these sorts of symptoms and can also cause your dog to drop condition.

I dont have a pic which show her weight, but her spine sticks out, her hips stick out and you can see her ribs slightly. She has always been thin, its impossible to put weight on her, she is fed Royal Canin Boxer.

Just about every doggie person we meet says she is thin.

I agree that it sounds like Canine Cough. Doesn't sound like hypothyroidism. And hyperthyroidism is rare in dogs.

Doesnt sound like hypothyroidism because those dogs are overweight and sluggish arent they?

I know hyperthyrodism is rare, but isnt it listed as something which affects Boxers?

Hypotyroistic dogs are thin, fussy, like warmth, dont excercise much and usually have very little fur on the insides of the thighs and underarms.

What you describe doesnt sound like hypothyroism.

You can do a blood test for the T4levels, might as well do her liver enzymes at the same time.

Lots of times liver and thyroid deseases are realted, and dogs benefit from natural diet and natural supplements.

Edited by myszka

Hypotyroistic dogs are thin, fussy, like warmth, dont excercise much and usually have very little fur on the insides of the thighs and underarms.

What you describe doesnt sound like hypothyroism.

That sounds like bondi except for the exercise part though.

Took her to the Vets, her lymph nodes are swollen (causing the gasping for air thing shes been doing) and she is in the first stages of Leumonia (Phluemonia? dont know how to spell it)

Her chest sounded "crackly" when the vet listened to it, so its got fluids down there. The vet said her chest sounded really bad, and that it was good that I'd caught it quick because it is quite bad.

Shes on tablets to clear her chest fluids, tablets for the runy nose and eyes, and had some injections to fix the swollen "lymph nodes", but they havent gone down yet.

She is going back to the vets next week for a check up.

Oh..hopefully now that is nearly 24 hours, the antibiotics will be starting to work, and she is feeling a bit better!

Lots of nursing for you...keeping her warm and comfortable , getting her to eat some easy-to digest yummies, etc....but shouldn't be for long.

thinking of you..and hoping to hear some happy news:)

Shes still just as bad, if not worse :rofl: Her glands seem to be bigger, abd shes still doing the coughing/gagging thing. Her nose is still runny but clears up quite quickly when I give her the tablets, but then starts getting runny again later. I'm tempted to take her back now (been so worried about her :rofl: ) but I havent given the drugs enough time to kick in yet, so i'll take her back on monday to have her chest listened to and her glands checked (I hope they've gone down by then!)

I am honestly suprised that the vet didn't offer to keep her in hospital for a couple of days!!

A dog with trouble eating/breathing, and with crackly lungs would probably benefit from a bit of extra effort.....If she were mine..she would be back at the vets or at another vet....

I hope you do take her back,she sounds an ill girl indeed.

Yeah, I think I'll give the vet a call and see if I can take her back in tommorrow, or if they think I should give the tablets afew more days to kick in. She is still her bouncy usual self, except she is interupted by a heaving fit everytime she gets excited/barks/licks herself too much etc. :rolleyes:

Vets is shut, will have to call tommorrow.

My sis just called and her Staffy has it too :rofl: My sis can't feel the glands swollen on her dog, but doesn't remember what her dogs neck feels like normally to know if its swollen :rolleyes: Diva (sisters dog) is going to the vet tommorrow. Bondi and Diva saw eachother last week, so mustve given it to eachother then and the signs havent shown up until now.