Limping Dog

Netti

Hello, I am wondering if some experienced people could give me some advice.

My dog Flynn is a three year old SmithfieldXBorder Collie who has developed a limp that seems to be coming from his right front leg/shoulder. Last week his half brother came to stay and the two of them race round and play like mad things having a great time. Since then I have noticed the limp.

I have felt around the leg/shoulder area and it doesnt feel any different from the other and he doesnt seem to be in any pain even when I am prodding him.

It has been going on for about 8 days and not improving. If it is a "play injury" will it get better on its own? If I take him to the vet what do you think the vet would do?

Flynn is a very fit dog, he is walked about 5 kms a day, swims a couple of times during the week and has lots of general exercise chasing rabbits and running around after the tractor when we are working in the paddocks. I have rested him since I have noticed the limp but this doesnt seem to have helped. He is missing his exercise but I dont want to agrivate the injury.

Any thoughts/suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers Netti

I would take him to the vet and have it checked out, 8 days is a long time and some dogs have a very high pain threshold.

If you really don't want to take him to the vets you could confine him for sometime in a crate or another very small area where he cannot move too much and take him to the toilet on a lead so he cannot run around etc and see if it improves with complete rest. You should be able to tell after a week.

However I just read your thread again and realised you have been resting him, so I think a trip to the vet might be best.

I have just been goign through this with my westie x. He has suddenly developed this problem. The vet said it wasn't his knee but higher up. 3 weeks of anti inflammatories didn't make any difference. I then tried a doggie chiro but after 2 treatments he still has the limp. If he is allowed off leash and actually runs, he ends up on 3 legs for a day or so. He is certainly in quite a bit of pain then.

He is now in the vet having X Rays today and I'm awaiting the results.

Do you crate him? Might be necessary for complete rest.

I agree to see the vet as the rest is not working. You need to find the cause and then see what treatment is possible.

Do you have a good vet? If not, or you're not sure, let us know what area. Someone may be able to recommend one?

I would love to try a dog chiro but dont know of one in Tassie, there is a horse one down here that advertises in the local newspaper, I wonder if he does dogs :laugh:

No I havent crated him, so he able to walk around during the day. He is such an energetic dog, and used to being exercised that he doesnt like being confined.

I get on well with my vet but I was just seeing if there was anything else I could try before going. I would be there n a flash if Flynn was showing any signs of being in real pain, but as Shellbyville pointed out some dogs do have very high pain threshholds.

Dogmad, I would be very interested in the results of your dogs x-rays. What did the chiro say it might be.

Thanks for your help

Netti

The chiro said he had his sciatic nerve trapped, the treatments certainly seemed to help. He had to rest for 2 days after each one, eg no off leash etc.

He is crated at night because he's very naughty and likely to be barking at all hours of the night otherwise. He still barks occasionally from within his crate but at least he doesn't wake the neighbours - little turd. Westie types like to bark!!

If the limp originates in his right front shoulder, and hasn't been alleviated by rest, you probably need to see the vet and get a (high-quality) x-ray, as it could be OCD. It's usually found in younger dogs, but it can develop in older dogs. Here's some info about it.

Osteochondritis dissecans, commonly known as OCD and osteochondrosis dissecans, is a disease of the cartilage that affects the joints in a dog’s body. In any joint in the body two bones come together and movement is allowed between them. Where the two bones meet, an exceptionally smooth area of cartilage covers their surfaces. This acts as a cushion and protects the underlying bone. If anything disrupts this smooth cartilage surface, movement of the joint becomes painful. In a dog with OCD, this cartilage is damaged or grows abnormally. Instead of being attached to the bone it covers, it separates or cracks, causing great pain. In some cases, small pieces of cartilage break off and float free in the joint. These pieces of cartilage do not die, but rather continue to grow and increase in size. These are known as joint mice. Approximately 15% of all dogs will develop OCD. This article will cover the disease and its treatment and will explore some of the suspected causes.

Who gets OCD?

OCD is primarily a problem in large or giant breed dogs. It has been reported in small dogs and cats, though it is not very common. It affects male dogs 2 to 5 times as frequently as females, most likely due to the males’ larger size and increased stress on the joint. It generally occurs when the animal is between 4 and 8 months of age, though it can show up in older dogs. There are several breeds that despite being larger breeds, have decreased incidences of the disease including the Doberman Pinscher, Collie, and Siberian Husky.

What are the symptoms of OCD?

The symptoms are lameness in the affected limb. Some dogs have a barely noticeable limp and others are unable to bear any weight on the leg. The lameness tends to worsen after periods of exercise and improves after rest. Seventy four percent of the cases of OCD occur in the shoulder joint, 11% in the elbow, and 4% in the hock. When it affects the front shoulder, a shortened forelimb stride may be noted due to reluctance to flex and extend the shoulder joint. Occasionally, the disease will affect both limbs simultaneously and the dog may be reluctant to move.

How is OCD diagnosed?

Diagnosis is based on history, physical exam, and radiographs (x-rays). On physical exam, we notice joint pain. For instance, most healthy dogs show no resistance when their shoulder joint is fully flexed and extended. However, if they have an OCD lesion in their shoulder, they may resist shoulder manipulation and may even cry out in pain when it is attempted. In addition, this flexion and extension of the shoulder joint may worsen the lameness.

Radiographs of the affected joint are taken to confirm the diagnosis. The dog is often sedated so that full relaxation of the joint can be obtained. Several views of the affected joint and the healthy joint on the other side are taken for comparison. The separations of the cartilage or joint mice are often identified on radiographs. If the radiographs are not confirmatory but OCD is still suspected, radiographs may be taken again in 2 to 3 weeks.

What causes the formation of OCD?

Trauma to the joint, hereditary factors, rapid growth, restricted blood flow to the cartilage, and nutrition contribute to the formation of OCD lesions.

The cause of OCD is considered to be multifactorial. It is thought that there are several factors that contribute to the formation of OCD lesions including trauma to the joint, hereditary factors, rapid growth, restricted blood flow to the cartilage, and nutrition.

Trauma, whether chronic or acute, may contribute to the formation of OCD lesions. Injury to the surface cartilage may lead to the separation of the cartilage from the bone or cause a decrease in blood supply that leads to cartilage flap formation.

It appears that there is a genetic link between parents and offspring and the formation of the disease. Certain breeds and genetic lines are much more likely to develop the disease. Careful screening of parents against this disease is recommended during the selection of all breeding stock.

The disease usually occurs during periods of rapid growth. Therefore, it has been suggested that nutrition that creates rapid growth may lead to the increase in incidence of the disease. It has been recommended that animals that are susceptible to the disease be fed a diet that is lower in protein and fat, or that they are fed in a limited manner to allow steady even growth during the first year of life. This theory may have merits, but more specific studies need to be done before any general recommendations can be made.

How is OCD treated?

There are currently two ways to treat OCD; conservative medical treatment or surgical removal of the lesion. Conservative treatment may be indicated for dogs that have early mild symptoms of OCD or where a specific lesion cannot be identified on radiographs. Conservative treatment consists of strict rest for 4 to 8 weeks. Leash walking is permitted but no running or playing is allowed. Anti-inflammatories and painkillers such as buffered aspirin or carprofen (Rimadyl) may be indicated. (Do NOT give your cat aspirin unless prescribed by your veterinarian.) In addition, the use of glucosamine/chondroitin products has been suggested, yet there are no current studies that confirm their beneficial use in this particular disease. Conservative treatment may be difficult in young active puppies who may still need to undergo surgery, if the symptoms do not improve.

Surgery is indicated in animals that show severe symptoms, in cases where large lesions are identified on radiographs, or when conservative treatments fail. The surgery is very straightforward. The affected joint is opened and the offending flap, defect, or joint mouse is removed. There is a very high success rate for surgery and most animals recover fully without any further problems.

Summary

OCD is a cartilage problem that affects young large and giant breed dogs. It is due to several factors including genetics, trauma, rapid growth, and nutrition. Treatment is either conservative including strict rest, or surgical removal of the damaged cartilage. Prevention is aimed at good genetic selection, reduced activity, and careful feeding.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...p;articleid=464

Hope this helps, good luck with your boy.

Thankyou so much for all that info monsterpup.

I have made an appointment for him to see the vet tomorrow.

I checked out some glucosamine/chondroitin products today but wanted to see what the vet recommended before I made the purchase, now that I have read the info I am glad that I waited.

I will keep you informed of what happens

Unfortunately the Xrays have shown that my Merlin has to have a knee reconstruction!

We can manage without doing it immediately providing he has no off leash exercise as he limps very badly after for a day or two.

When I do get the op done, it will cost around $1,000 but the worst part is that there is a 2 month recovery period with 2-3 weeks of that where he will have to be very confined, as I work, this will be very difficult to manage.

Because he and one of my foster dogs romp and play so actively, the vet recommends she will have to go elsewhere for the whole 2 months (I don't think she'll ever be rehomed due to a serious health problem). There will be no off leash exercise obviously and then after 2 months, hopefully, he will be able to run again at some point.

What a worry ...

My Cavalier had exactly the same thing and I spent thousands of dollars with no definitive answer. We took her to a vet who does trigger point therapy and acupuncture. She was improved within about 4 visits and goes back every 3 months for a "tune up" and we do exercises at home.

There was somebody on the forum who had exaclty the same thing with her dog and found a vet who does these treatments or similar, in Hobart. Mayb do a search.

Unfortunately the Xrays have shown that my Merlin has to have a knee reconstruction!

We can manage without doing it immediately providing he has no off leash exercise as he limps very badly after for a day or two.

When I do get the op done, it will cost around $1,000 but the worst part is that there is a 2 month recovery period with 2-3 weeks of that where he will have to be very confined, as I work, this will be very difficult to manage.

Because he and one of my foster dogs romp and play so actively, the vet recommends she will have to go elsewhere for the whole 2 months (I don't think she'll ever be rehomed due to a serious health problem). There will be no off leash exercise obviously and then after 2 months, hopefully, he will be able to run again at some point.

What do the xrays show as being wrong with the knee. Patella? Ligament?

My large breed has had both knees done with the TWLO surgery at $5000 each. She was confined strictly to a crate for 6 weeks with only onlead toilet breaks. After the 6 weeks she was allowed a 5 minute leash walk per day. This increased by 5 minutes per walk per week. Her crate confinement was for 12 weeks all up. She was an excellent patient, much to my surprise because she is a hyperactive dog.

With you working it will be difficult unless you can have someone come in during the day a couple of times to take the dog out to toilet.

Well I took Flynn to the vet this morning and the vet as prescibed Rimadyl for the next nine days.

He thought the pain was more in his paw rather than coming from the shoulder. At this stage he doesnt think X-rays are warranted.

Complete rest was also recommended. Poor Flynn, he so loves getting outside and running around, everytime I put on my shoes or even a jumper he thinks we are going out and gets all exited. I bought him some new chew toys today to try and keep him occupied.

Thanks for all the info and support, looks like there are lots of limping dogs out there, poor darlings.

Had something similar with my BC girl late last year/early this year - only it was a hind leg. It was a landing injury from agility - seemed to get better after a few days, then would recur. I was worried she might have partially torn a cruciate, or have a hip or back problem. Luckily, it turned out to be a problem with a toe. Vet strapped her foot just above the inside toe - had to keep that on and have restricted activity for a couple of weeks, then gradual re-introduction of activity - back to agility after about 6 - 7 weeks (although for the first few times I would strap the foot again while we trained). Thankfully, it seems to be fine now - touch wood.

If it's a soft tissue injury, it's worth taking the time with restricted activity to allow the injury to heal - the dog won't actually go crazy :mad , and it's worth it in the long run. And you can always take the time to teach him some tricks that don't involve too much movement.

Oh, and I'd continue to look into the glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplementation anyway. My 2 (now aged 5) have been on it for a year or more - just as a preventative. There is some research in now which shows that it's beneficial.

Hope Flynn recovers well - and that you survive :eek: .

About 15 years ago I had my sisters dog on the beach and he managed to find the broken bottle some idiots had left behind. What a horrible horrible day. Tramp ended up with a cast on his leg ( he was a cross breed of all big soft as clarts dogs you can think of) and my wee Cleo (corgi) started to limp in sympathy. I do hope your doggy gets all better. Cleo did develope athritis when she got older and could always put on "the limp" if anyone mentioned " ohhh poor wee soul. Who's got a sore paw?"

Good news everyone,

Flynn's limp is gone. He so much better that I took him to the beach yesterday for a swim.

I thought that might give him a change of scenery and be gentle exercise for him. Tide was in so he didnt need to walk far. The look on his face was priceless when I kept him on the lead so he wouldnt run about, he is not used to walking on a lead at the beach. :thumbsup:

He is still on the anti-inflamatorys for a few days so it looks all down hill from here. I will start more gentle exercise when he has finnished them.

Thankyou so much for all the advice, info and reports of your dogs limps. Its nice to know that other people care.

Cheers Netti

My dog Flynn is a three year old SmithfieldXBorder Collie who has developed a limp that seems to be coming from his right front leg/shoulder. Last week his half brother came to stay and the two of them race round and play like mad things having a great time. Since then I have noticed the limp.

I have felt around the leg/shoulder area and it doesnt feel any different from the other and he doesnt seem to be in any pain even when I am prodding him.

It has been going on for about 8 days and not improving. If it is a "play injury" will it get better on its own? If I take him to the vet what do you think the vet would do?

Flynn is a very fit dog, he is walked about 5 kms a day, swims a couple of times during the week and has lots of general exercise chasing rabbits and running around after the tractor when we are working in the paddocks. I have rested him since I have noticed the limp but this doesnt seem to have helped. He is missing his exercise but I dont want to agrivate the injury.

Cheers Netti

Cheers Netti

To find the injury you must compare left to the right, if it limps its from the wrist down, if lame from the wrist up, really check the toes, but i think the damage is in a sesamoid, Garry