Disgusting Habit...helpppppp!

mocha

my little girl (chacha, a mini poodle) ate her own poop since the first night (3 weeks ago) and then now changed to eat my another puppy's feces.... :)

I don't know why she does that....any chance to change this behaviour?

my vet told me to remove the shit asap (i think everyone knows this...)....but what if I am not at home?

Please help!!!

Whilst eating faeces might not be harmful to the dog, I always first consider whether the cause of it is. Perhaps it has only come about through exploration activities. But one of the first things that I chose to consider is the possibility of the pup/dog not receiving sufficient nutrients from its diet in the first place.

Don't know what you're feeding, but it might be worth thinking about. Sometimes I've had people who are feeding good quality kibble that the general dog would do well on but might not be 'right' for their individual dog. A change in diet, perhaps to another good quality brand kibble, would be helpful.

Whilst my experience does not cover what I would say to be a "majority" of cases in copraphagia, I can't say I've had a case of copraphagia that's been presented to me where dietary nutritiency has been the issue when their dogs have been fed a well rounded diet which includes BARF.

Whilst eating feces might not be harmful to the dog, I always first consider whether the cause of it is. Perhaps it has only come about through exploration activities. But one of the first things that I chose to consider is the possibility of the pup/dog not receiving sufficient nutrients from its diet in the first place.

Don't know what you're feeding, but it might be worth thinking about. Sometimes I've had people who are feeding good quality kibble that the general dog would do well on but might not be 'right' for their individual dog. A change in diet, perhaps to another good quality brand kibble, would be helpful.

Whilst my experience does not cover what I would say to be a "majority" of cases in coprophagia, I can't say I've had a case of copraphagia that's been presented to me where dietary nutritiency has been the issue when their dogs have been fed a well rounded diet which includes BARF.

Hi Erny ,

Been down this trail with blood tests. Nothing found other than a healthy dog. I have come to the same conclusion as many, some do, some don't.

You don't, I don't, we don't, but they do. They are dogs, and what dogs do, can be so surprising. :rofl:

I was told many years if you don't like the habit don't look. :(

Cheers

Been down this trail with blood tests. Nothing found other than a healthy dog. I have come to the same conclusion as many, some do, some don't.

True, but there are some where dietary deficiency/mal-absorption has been the culprit. Would hate to think this as a 'cause' subsists merely because of assumption that it doesn't exist.

Sometimes a simple change of diet (so long as it is a good diet) does the trick.

my little girl (chacha, a mini poodle) ate her own poop since the first night (3 weeks ago) and then now changed to eat my another puppy's feces.... :(

I don't know why she does that....any chance to change this behaviour?

my vet told me to remove the shit asap (i think everyone knows this...)....but what if I am not at home?

Please help!!!

Have come across this very occasionally over the years and always nip it in the bud before it becomes a habit. It does seem to be an inherited tendency and whether that is due to an inherited need for certain nutrients or roughage in the diet or whether it is an inherited behavioral quirk is unknown. Other dogs seeing this behavior may also be tempted to give it a try and in this case it can develop into a learned behavior.

Coprophagia and soil eating are not normal IMO, (apart from the taste every dog has for gourmet food such as cat crunchies or kangaroo/sheep maltesers) but are coping methods used by the dog when the diet is lacking in specific requirements.

If encountering either problem, this has worked for me:

Poo Eating - (1)Tins of crushed pineapple. A heaped tablespoon mixed in the meal would suit a dog from 10-20kg. The dogs love it and will not touch their droppings, however you must treat all dogs or make sure the treated dog has no access to non-pine-appled poopies.

Poo Eating - (2) For some reason Rabbit food pellets mixed in the food also work well. If the pineapple seems less effective, try rabbit food pellets.

Poo Eating - (3) Make sure it is not just boredom. Sometimes a bored pup will invent the "playing marbles' game and then elevate the skill level to partaking of a nibble. Have lots of alternative toys available, things that smell interesting and roll such as kongs and balls with interesting stuffing. Those big, tendon-hinged marrow bone joints which the supermarkets sell make interesting playthings once all the easily eaten bits have been consumed.

Maybe a bit OT but thought it worth mentioning..

Soil/grass root eating - Buy a heap of fresh veges. Carrot/sweet potato/carrot/celery/potato/pumpkin/ beans/broccoli/cauliflower using stems and leaves etc etc and virtually anything but onion, cabbage and garlic. Wash any sand off and chop/dice it all up, tops, roots and all the other roughage. (Discard any green bits of skin on carrots or potatoes.) Pop in a big pot and bring to the boil then turn off and allow to cool. The par-boiled veges are slightly tender but not cooked through. Stored under refrigeration they will keep for about a week. Allow about half a cup of the vege mixture to each cup of dog biscuits. I'm not sure if its the nutrients or the roughage, but this seems to stop the unwanted soil eating behavior.

Supplementing with pineapple or rabbit feed is only short term as once the habit is broken the problem should soon disappear in a normal, healthy dog . This routine has worked well for me but no guarantees. Worth a try? :rofl:

Trehilyn

True, but there are some where dietary deficiency/mal-absorption has been the culprit. Would hate to think this as a 'cause' subsists merely because of assumption that it doesn't exist.

Sometimes a simple change of diet (so long as it is a good diet) does the trick.

Yes of course your quite correct. It should be the first thing done.

thanks guys, i will try using the pineapple juice tonight :thumbsup: ...i am feeding my puppies with "optimum", haven't fed them any meat yet. is this okay?

Optimum is probably one of the better supermarket brands but it's not a good quality diet. I would suggest you feed Eagle Pack, Nutrience or Royal Canin. They are all premium or super premium foods.

efs

Edited by cavNrott