Fasting A Dog

4 Paws

One of mine dogs would be happy to not eat every day, but others really need to eat twice a day. I've never been able to feed some and not the others, so they dont get fasted, they just get the right sized portions fed every day.

Humans are supposed to benefit from fasting too, but not many of us actually do it. It's not that I wouldnt like to, I just dont have the willpower, and probably dont eat a good enough diet to sustain me for 24hrs without food.

It was suggested to me by the breeder of one of my dogs and she didn't look as though she had missed a meal in a long time.

Thats harsh! It is much easier to dole out appropriate food to your dependants than it is to yourself where plenty of other 'needs' (emotional, pleasure, habit) compete for top priority in decision making. You only have to go to an agility trial to see fit, healthy, trim dogs with portly handlers to see this (and I am one of them :thumbsup: )

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

Thats harsh! It is much easier to dole out appropriate food to your dependants than it is to yourself where plenty of other 'needs' (emotional, pleasure, habit) compete for top priority in decision making. You only have to go to an agility trial to see fit, healthy, trim dogs with portly handlers to see this (and I am one of them :thumbsup: )

I apologise, I didn't intend any offence in my comment. I have edited it out of my post.

No, I'll only fast a dog that has an upset stomach. One of my dogs has a tendency to vomit bile if his stomach gets too empty so I like to prevent that too.

I believe in feeding a species appropriate diet - up to a point. You won't find poodles feeding on animal carcasses in my back yard either. :thumbsup:

Dogs in the wild will gorge themselves one day and not eat the next. Domestic dogs are fed measured portions. I see no need to fast them. Besides, Bella LIVES for dinner time and if I didn't feed her she'd eat her brother :thumbsup: It's just not worth the bloodshed. Casper has voluntarily missed a meal or two in the heat of summer when he's too hot and bothered to eat.

I fast mine on the odd occasion. Quite randomly, no set pattern, but it's not very often, perhaps once or twice a month. The reason I do this is just incase something happens and I can't get home, my dogs wont freak out that their dinner hasn't been served.

• 1 month later...

How interesting.. I have never heard of or considered fasting domesticated pets as they are so far from their ancestors who would only eat on the days that they hunt or dig up what they've buried.

But now that I think of it the days that they only get small amount of kibble and a bone are their 'fasting' days..but pups always get generous twice daily of wet food/barf portions.

edit: fasting good for humans? Really? doesn't it make your body go into starvation mode and retain all fluids and slow your metabolism? maybe it does the same for domesticated dogs?

Edited by Tatelina

Absolutely, If my dogs do something out of the blue,I change their routine..It has always worked, Gomez.

My young male Rottweiler broke into the food bin and ate about 3 days worth of food for him and two other dogs.He was starved for 48 hrs.That is about 36 cups of food......I honestly doubt he was hungry..

Edited by Delkerabo

edit: fasting good for humans? Really? doesn't it make your body go into starvation mode and retain all fluids and slow your metabolism? maybe it does the same for domesticated dogs?

Funny you should mention that because I'm not a great eater, often skip meals. Been told twice in the past 24hrs I've lost weight (though I'm not trying to) and my OH told me "it is because you are eating" :thumbsup:

In his opinion the fact I have been eating more regular meals has made me lose weight ???