Doggy Nail Clipping

Hi there, I have a Basset Hound and she HATES having her claws clipped. I have to pin her to the ground and bribe her with food. Plus my vet said he'd have to sedate her to do it so he didn't want too.

Anyway.. I stopped doing it as often as I should have 'cause she made such a fuss and now the red bit inside (quick?) seems longer and I can't actually clip her nails short enough. Is it possible the red bit got longer and if so how can i shorten it..? her nails are far too long. Any hints would help, she's my first doggy. :D

Hi there, I have a Basset Hound and she HATES having her claws clipped. I have to pin her to the ground and bribe her with food. Plus my vet said he'd have to sedate her to do it so he didn't want too.

Anyway.. I stopped doing it as often as I should have 'cause she made such a fuss and now the red bit inside (quick?) seems longer and I can't actually clip her nails short enough. Is it possible the red bit got longer and if so how can i shorten it..? her nails are far too long. Any hints would help, she's my first doggy. :D

Yes, i tis possible the quicks (the red bits) have extended. You can shorten it by gradually clipping the nails shorter. Have a bar of soap handy when you clip and dig her claw into the soap. It will clog it up and stop it from bleeding.

Have you tried other methods of shortening them such as a dremmel (electric file) or a manual file (like you would do with your own).

Have you tried a professional groomer? They are expereinced at dealing with this kind of thing and may be able to help.

Hi again, a file would drive her crazy shes hates hair/blow driers when she gets hydrobathed so i can imagine a file annoying her. The groomer was doing it but he wasn't cutting them short enough, for a Basset anyways because he couldn't handle her crying. I'll just have to try trimming a little every week to see if they get shorter. Thanks heaps :D

I use a Dremel (electric tool with sander) to grind down the nails. http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/dob...mel/dremel.html. Ozito is another brand. Available at hardware shops. Handy tool for other things, too (has different attachments).

The lady who does the webpage above has rescue dobermans and teaches them to get used to it, but it's a matter of being very patient while desensitising them to having feet handled, then nails filed. It's a training issue. To encourage the "quick" (bit that bleeds) to recede she suggests grinding every 4 days!

If that's a bit much, try another groomer! Be very specific about what you want to achieve. I wouldn't have a problem with them muzzling my dog if necessary to get their nails done. They may not like it, but it's not cruel. They'd need weekly trimming for a while, I'm guessing.

Groomers won't do them too short because they will cut the quick causing a bleeding, distressed dog who might have sore nails for days. Not what owners want. Unkind. Once the quick grows, they can't get them short enough without frequent, regular trimming. They can only take off small amounts humanely :thumbsup:.

I would never clip a clients dogs nails too short at their request. It bloody hurts them and will make them more and more petrified of having their nails done, as they associate it with pain.

(just imagine your own nail bed was too long, and someone deliberatley ripped your nail back to short :thumbsup: same for the dog)

I would try grinding them, but if you cant manage that, either find a groomer that does use a dremel, or take a trip to the vet that will take them back short under sedation and make sure you keep on top of it from then on :wave:

Edited by BC

Hi

Just thought i say that I got my dog a year ago from the pound, he had had a pretty rough time in his previous life and has badly scared feet. unsurprisingly he absolutely hated anyone touching his feet and it took 2 of us to hold him down at the vets to get his nails clipped the first time.

Since we got him we have made a point of touching his feet everyday when playing with him or cuddling him and always rewarding him with a small treat or praise.

Last week I decided it was time to get the nail clippers out again. I got him to lie on his side and he just lay there while i cut his nails, i could tell he still didn't like it but he just lay there and only fidgeted a tiny bit .

I was so proud of him.

Maybe you could try this as well, it will take a while but if you can get him to think of you touching his feet is a good thing he wont worry about you cutting his nails so much.

im having the same problem with my dog and im planning to trim little bits more often to make the quick shrink back.

How often should you do it to make this happen? once a week or more often?

(sigh, so not looking forward to it)

im having the same problem with my dog and im planning to trim little bits more often to make the quick shrink back.

I find that walking mine dogs of the concrete pavements keep their nails down a lot.

Try the file also, first just let the dog look at it, then touch her nails with it and give a treat everytime you show it.

It will be a long process but with time and patience it will get easier.

Doberdawn, the dobe rescue lady who has the dremelling dog's nails website reckons every 4 days :thumbsup:.

sorry to hijack this thread but... can anybody recommend a groomer in sydney (preferably eastern or inner west- i live in surry hills but i can drive) who uses a dremel?

Most groomers are good with clippers (unlike me). Problem I sometimes found was sharp edges were left on the nails if they didn't file them also after clipping.

Just ask and make sure they're OK when you pick up your dog. Sorry, can't help with recommending anyone.

Thanks poodle wrangler. Its just that we usually shower our dog, she doesnt really need grooming. but when she needs her nails clipped we send her to the groomers. This has happened the last 2 times and it just seems like her nails are still super long and the ends are really rough? as though its been just clipped very lightly

Well, we adopted her, so maybe because of her past owners, on closer inspection, her nails have slight cracks even up near her foot... I would get a dremel but I thought it'd be better to just get a groomer to show me the ropes first.. just to be on the safe side :laugh:

anyone else recommendation?

If the nails have been let grow long, the quick has probably grown long too and so the groomer can only take off small amounts at a time without making the nails bleed and torturing the dog.

Lots of nail threads atm- you may need them cut short and cauterized at the vet under sedation. THEN, you have to keep trimming regularly.

It's hard to go wrong with the dremel- the website's very specific.

As a groomer you can't really win when it comes to nails. Cut them too short and the owners are horrified, not enough and they are disappointed. T'is better to leave them a little longer if in doubt IMO. Personally if it's a dark nail I take off small slices at a time until I can see the quik from look up through underneath the paw.

I actually asked a nail question of my vet just recently. He said that if you trim them, just the pressure of them walking will make the quick receed a little, so gradually you can get the quick to receed without blood, over time :)

re: the dog hating the nails getting done, my friend has this huge boofer of a dog who hates it also. BUT he loves his afternoon walkies. So she got into a habit of persevering to get just one nail clipped properly before each afternoons walk. He got to assocciate the nail clipping with a good thing :thumbsup: It took a little while, but now she has no problems with doing the lot in one go ( and shestill rewards with walkies of course :thumbsup: )

Cut my pups nails again yesterday- Waited a week... And whadya know - after extra walking on concrete and last weeks and this weeks trim the nails are now almost short! Yay!

mind you i nearly went through a whole bag of treats! :)

rest assured there will be no more dilly-dallying in future!

Dee