New Dry Food - Dog Pro

Daisy

I usually feed my dogs on Bonnie working dog, I have a lot of large dogs and they mostly seem to do well on it (only two have a different diet). I buy the 20kg bags, but sometimes get the Supercoat working dog food instead as it is a bit cheaper, but my dogs do not seem to like it much. I went to the produce store today and they asked would I like to try this new brand. I had a look at the ingredients and the % of protein etc, and it is roughly the same as Bonnie and Supercoat, but is only $24 per bag (I pay $33 for Bonnie and $28 for Supercoat). Anyway, all the dogs seemed to like it, but I thought it had a bit of a funny smell. Wondering if anyone else has tried it? It is called Dog Pro and is made by Hypro.

I've never heard of it.

Can you give us a run down of the ingredients and the % of fat and protein (guaranteed).

I personally use Optimum and have had wonderful results on it so it would have to be special to make me change.

Look forward to hearing how your dogs are on it after 4 weeks.

Sure. I have copied below the exact words from the bag. Will let you know how they go on it.

Typical analysis - Crude Protein 23%, Fat 15%, Crude fibre 2%, salt <1%

Ingredients: Wholegrain cereals, meat ane meat byproducts derived from beef, mutton and chicken, cereal and vegetable byproducts, iodised salt, vegetable oil, essential vitamins (incl A, D, K, E, B1, B2, B6, Pant, Nic, Biotin, B12, Choline, Folic Acid, Vitamin C, Natural Anti-oxidants) essential minerals (incl, Zinc, Copper, Iron, Potassium, Manganese, Iodine, Cobalt, Selenium, Calcium, Phosporus), natural preservatives and natural antioxidants.

Hypro (Aust) Pty Ltd

204 Riverstone Parade,

Riverstone NSW (I grew up in Riverstone!)

Supercoat Working Dog - chicken meat first ingredient, Protein 26% Fat 14%, no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives

Bonnie Working Dog - cereal first ingredient, variable meat sources, Protein 22% Fat 14%, no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives

Dog Pro - cereal first ingredient, variable meat sources, Protein 23%, Fat 15%, no artificial preservatives (colours and flavours not stated)

In life, you tend to get what you pay for.

Cheers

I'm not sure what you mean by a guaranteed analysis -- are you saying that pet-food manufacturers are exempt from the usual requirements of labelling their food and its nutritional content, but that the super-premium dry food companies will pay a laboratory to do their analyses?

If they do well on it, Daisy, you're on a winner :) Give it a few weeks, I guess.

At those prices you will not get a guarantied analyses.

Jill

There are two forms of analysis - Guaranteed and Typical.

Guaranteed analysis - the figures given are the minimum/maximum (as specified) that the product will be. ie: If moisture gives a 9.5% maximum analysis then the moisture will never exceed 9.5%, but can be lower, if protein gives 25% minimum, we will never go below 25% protein, but will range above this.

Typical analysis (no minimum or maximum quoted), but the figures given are what the product aims for and the product will be + or - 2% variable. The moisture, fat or protein can be either 2% above or below this figure.

There are always variables in food manufacture. An example would be if we all made a fruit cake from scratch with exactly the same ingredients and made the same way, the degree of moisture, colour and tase could (and probably would) vary due to storage of ingredients, whether our weighing scales were accurate, utensils used, time taken to mix and variable oven temperatures. Trust me on this - I used to make a lot of fruit cakes and some were better than others even though I followed exactly the same recipe. :(

Most 'reputable' pet food manufacturers regularly analyse their batches to ensure it meets the specs. If there were discrepancies, you can bet that a competitor would be lodging a complaint with the Pet Food Industry Australia.

Whilst price is often an indicator of quality, it's only one factor. :)

Cheers

• 3 years later...

i have been using Hypro Dog Pro for over 12mths now after using Bonnie mainly and have found it to be really good with maitaning weight and coat condition and a bonus is the price..:D

kelpie breeder..

The smell of the dogpro actually makes me ill when I stack it at work.

Think of it this way ... it's the only dog food we stock that the ants, rats and mice wont touch even if a bag breaks open.