Unweight Oes

storm

I have a 3yr old Old English Sheepdog that has been surrendered. She has been bred continually

She weight 18kilos and desperately needs to gain weight.

I have wormed her and must admit I have never seen poo walk by itself she is riddled with worms.

She has no interest in food, her teeth are not the best but her gums are pink. How can I encourage her to eat, how much and how often please? I have never had a dog that is staving and when given food not eaten it.

I don’t want to over load her as food hasn’t been a big priority for a while.

I have tried roast chicken, mince both chicken and beef, even cat food, nutro dry soaked, lamb bones and nutrigel has to force some of that in her mouth and then I could only get her to swallow a small meat ball of mince but she don’t like being handled at the moment.

I don’t want to frighten her any more then possible at the moment. I have only had her for 24hrs

She has been to the vets for a basis check up and is going back tomorrow for blood work etc

Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by storm

Sounds to me that she is a good case for serious food supplements. You can get a variety of food supplements from your vet and I'd rely on their guidance.

I've found the take-away bbq chicken to be the ultimate dog treat. In the meantime, I think that she is too scared to eat her meals. Perhaps, if you leave her and her food in a safe, quiet environment she might change her mind. Good luck!

Edited by Anna

18kg :confused:. My lean standard poodle weighs 25kg!

Perhaps she will settle in as it's only been 24 hours.

There was a similar thread about a mini poodle in a similar situation but the advice isn't breed specific.http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=112988&hl=

* Smaller meals, more often- easier to digest

* Don't rush in to "fatten her up" too quickly- can do more harm than good.

* Avoid high fat foods, especially in the early days- risk of pancreatitis (can be fatal). That takeaway chicken would need the skin off, for example.

Other good advice was to avoid clipping off the whole coat as the coat can give the dog some cushioning on boniest areas (if possible).

Its heartbreaking to see her so skinny, people really do suck :confused:

Thanks for the link will have a read

I realise its only been a day, just worried with her not eating as she cant afford to loose any more weight. I do worry to much also.

I dont have a choice with the coat as she is so matted that she couldnt stretch or walk correctly due to mats, so she is slightly bald today and will be finished off tomorrow at the groomers and the smell of urine and feaces is enought to make you reach.

So hopefully after a bath and clip she will start to feel better and start to eat

:cry::) This might sound really silly but we rescued a little malt cross in a similar condition years ago (had him for 15 years!! :cry: ) and although there is no nutrition in it, he was very very interested in our toast and crusts and nothing else. We worked out after a few days of him not eating 'doggie' type foods etc, that 1. he was terrified of the bowl and 2. he had never had meat etc. only toast crusts or crackers, this was all he'd eat! It took us a while to get him interested in other foods and we fed him straight from the floor or he would not eat. I thought it very strange too when he wouldn't touch mince or all the other goodies I tried. We just got his appetite up first with whatever he would eat and worked on 'diet and nutrition' when he was ready. Your girl obviously needs as much nutrition as she can handle though, and our vets helped a friends rescue great dane who was also like this. She now has to be on one dry food only as anything else upsets her stomach and she loses weight again. 18kg. is disgusting! Her 'insides' must be a mess! Good luck, you are an angel! ;) :D Also think giving her privacy whilst eating is good and a drip (if the vet thinks so).

Thanks everyone, I will try the toast

She is a lovely girl and such a wiggle bum and has decided that she cant leave my other OES side and he is fine with her and he even tries to share his pigs ears with her but she has no idea. He is such a carebear.

I will see what the vet suggests and try and get some photos of her today.

I had a girl that was the same but she had an infection which I think was making her feel like not eating. But she was so thin I couldn't stand the thought of her not eating so I started her on small meals then when she started to eat again went to three meals a day.

One of the the things that make her eat was roast chicken the smell I think helps then I would do some boiled rice or pasta with a broth of vegemite or beef stock to make it warm and mix it all together then gradually add more and more. Its light but it might wake up her taste buds to start her off.

Just an idea.....Have you tried her on

tin Cat food jellymeat type - that was all my little aussie would eat for ages...

and Satin ball mix???

It may be a bit potent.....but could be worth a try, my little aussie was really fussy about food and I was having to mix cat food in everything just to get his interest and then he wouldn't eat.

Now he eats the satin ball mix really well.

I started rolling them into tiny little balls (not much bigger than a tombowler marble).....and would offer upto 10 times a day......now he just gets it for dinner!

It certainly improves their coat and puts weight on quickly! I have a great recipe with the nutritional breakdown if you are interested PM me!

Good luck......it can be frustrating but the rewards in the end are great!