Annual Baths

Kaos Central

Some friends of mine have a georgeous golden retriever, they purchased her from a breeder and paid a lot of money for her. When my friends asked the breeder about up keep of the coat they were told brush once a month and a bath once a year.....now today we went to the beach together it is 32c here in Adelaide and my dogs run amock in the sea weed and in the water...thier dog stayed on the short leash the whole time and she really smells bad....she could have really done with a run in the water then a good bath....i suggested she come back to our place and i would wash all the dogs here and she had a fit...telling me she couldn't possibly wash her dog....that the dogs bath was usually in december and she would ruin the coat if she washed it anymore. Has any one ever heard of this before????

Edited by Kaos Central

Ruin the coat for what exactly ? I can understand the "breeder" advising not to clip the dogs coat, but not to wash it is ridiculous........

Goldens have a distinct "odour" , even when they have been washed every week for the show ring, so I can only imagine how bad this dog stinks!

What a shame, I presume it is an outdoor dog in this case also, as no one could have a dirty dog indoors :)

Ruin the coat for what exactly ? I can understand the "breeder" advising not to clip the dogs coat, but not to wash it is ridiculous........

Goldens have a distinct "odour" , even when they have been washed every week for the show ring, so I can only imagine how bad this dog stinks!

What a shame, I presume it is an outdoor dog in this case also, as no one could have a dirty dog indoors :)

odour is an interesting way of putting it...it stinks....i could not be in the car with it...i put the top down on my car just in case the stink got on my dogs.

Seems a bit silly to me!

Would she not let the dog in the water at the beach, purely because it would get wet and be like a bath? or for other reasons?

I wish i had an answer for you...i dont know.....my dogs live the beach and the water....they are all asleep now after the beach trip...they just love it but she is taking the breeders word as absolute and nothing i can say will change that.

Maybe she has misunderstood the breeder? I would have thought that bathing would be an individual thing? Some goldies just have a smelly coat or skin issues and may need monthly baths. My girls are also different: one needs one every 2 months and the other 2 every 3 months (or sooner if they roll in something foul of course!). I actually don't bath my girls after each swim either, HOWEVER, i do rinse them off with lukewarm water when i get home, then towel dry them and brush.

If a dog didn't have a regular bath, imagine how many germs/infections could be living within the fur?

Once a month is usually enough, and if it's the hotspots the breeder is possibly concerned about, the breeder should be teaching the puppy buyer how to dry off and care for the coat properly after a bath.

I didnt bath my dog for the first year of her life...she actually smelt a lot better than she does now. She used to go swimming and all that and playing with the hose, but never a proper bath and wetting of her undercoat...

She is bathed once a month these days.

Huh?

My 2 goldies have had 2 or 3 baths in the last 12 months, they don't have a distinct odour at all - it's a nothing smell unless they are wet from the river (phewwwwy!)

A natural diet also makes a huge difference I have noticed, along with regular brushing.

Yes GL, I think it is an individual thing too. I do things as necessary not to a calendar. :laugh:

I called the breeder and asked him about his puppys....his upcoming pups and what was available....it was a very enlightening discussion....he advocates a bath every 6 months and a good brush once a month is all the care the coat needs. he actually told me that washing more often will strip the coat and leave it wirey and prone to matting. Now i would have thought that a good shampoo and conditioner would prevent a wirey coat and matting....just my opinion. I dropped my dogs into the groomer today and she said that she has a lot of GR's that come in once a month and she see's no damage to the coat.

I am with GL & D+D - Goldens do need to be bathed more than once a year, maybe not as often as other breeds perhaps but certainly every couple of mths at least! :o

Goldens do have natural oils in their coats and too frequent bathing can strip these but once every second mth most certainly is not going to do this. Also during the cooler mths I understand it is best to get a bit of a blowdry after the bath due to hot spots and as well the dog getting cold from the undercost being damp.

Benson gets a bath once a mth at the max and sometimes it's every two mths! He doesn't stink at all!

Show them this

Grooming Your Golden Retriever

Golden Retriever's do require basic grooming. Goldens are a double coated breed. They shed, but some basic maintenance will significantly reduce the amount of hair you find throughout the house. The Golden Retriever's double coat is designed to protect them during any season. Throughout the winter, the undercoat grows to protect them from the cold. As the weather warms, the undercoat sheds as the Golden no longer needs it. Regular brushing with a quality bristle brush, along with regular use of an undercoat rake will significantly reduce shedding, which will make you and your Golden very happy.

Golden Retriever's require regular bathing. Yes, you can bath your Golden as often as you like without worrying about damaging the coat or skin. Use of a good quality shampoo is key to keeping your Golden clean.The Golden's nails should be clipped regularly. Long nails are uncomfortable for the dog and for anyone they might jump on. Long nails can also compromise the shape of your dog's foot, causing it to splay. Check the nails and trim them regularly by carefully snipping the tip with a pair of dog nail clippers. If you are lucky enough to have a dog with clear nails, you will be able to see the quick. Do not cut to close. You should have a styptic powder on hand in the event you do clip the quick. This will stop the bleeding quickly. It is a good practice to trim the nails weekly taking off small amounts each time.

NEVER shave your Golden. As mentioned earlier, the Golden's coat is designed to protect them in any type of weather. The only areas of hair that require grooming are on and inside the ears, the tail and the feet.

Using an ordinary pair of grooming shears, trim the hair around the pads keeping it's length even with the pads. Most Goldens also tend to grow "slippers". This hair should also be kept trimmed. The look that you want to create is that of a cat's paw.

The ears will require some general grooming on the inside and outside. The hair on the inside of the ear should be kept thin with the use of thinning shears and regular grooming shears. Hair covering the outer part of the ear and along the edges should also be kept neat. Most Golden Retriever groomers recommend Millers Forge Gold Line Thinning Shears. They are a little less expensive than the professional shears, and do an incredible job. For the best overall value in professional grooming shears we recommend the the Styling Shears and Thinning Shears made by Micro Surgical.

Ear cleaning is a basic requirement in keeping your Golden healthy. Golden Retrievers have a tendency to get ear infections if they are not cleaned regularly. Clean your Golden's ears weekly with a quality ear cleansing solution.

The Golden Retriever's tail should be groomed to look like a fan. The best way is to twist the end, put your thumb just below the end of the tail bone and trim the end near your thumb. Then, working from the end, carefully form a fan towards the base of the tail.

Absolutely Golden carries a complete line of Golden Retriever Grooming Products.

If you are interested in learning how to properly groom your Golden, we have found a website that provides excellent information and instruction. Click the following link for instructions on basic grooming of the feet, nails, ears and tail.

Ears - Morningsage Goldens Grooming

Feet - http://morningsagegoldens.freeservers.com/Grooming2.html

Tail and Shoulders - http://morningsagegoldens.freeservers.com/Grooming3.html