Can 2nd Vac Make Your Dog Sick?

alaskanice

Kody went in for her second vaccination on saturday morning. She seemed fine through saturday and sunday but this morning she didnt touch her food, which would be the first time in her life. She seems very weak and is sleeping a lot. She is a malamute and now 12 weeks old and today is VERY hot so i dont know if heat is playing a role in her sickness. She also vomited once and has dhiorreah, its a yellow/brown colour. I'm keeping food away from her and giving her 'lactade' to hydrate.

Anyone had the same problem after the second vaccination or has any idea what it might be :)

Yes, vaccinations can make a pups sick. I have a couple dogs that come to my kennel accompanied by letters from a reputable vet saying they get only the parvo vaccination because the distemper vaccination almost killed them. And I've had pups GET kennel cough from the C5 vaccine (with bordatella done via nasal puff).

But there are LOADS of other things that can make a pup sick. See a vet.

My younger sister just got a golden retriever who had a reaction to her third vaccinations - she was very ill and if she had not been taken to the vet she may have died. It was an extreme reaction but after that I would reccomend that you take you puppy to the vet - far better to be safe than sorry.

Seeming lethargic or a little "off colour" after a vaccination is acceptable. However, a pup that is refusing food, is weak and has vomiting and diarrhoea is not normal and if you called me and told me that, I would want to see her ASAP.

definitely call the vet and if he advises ( which he probably will) go in

ive had dogs react to the third vaccine...one got an itchy face and was given an antihistamine and the vet watched her for about half an hour

this one felt off colour for a day..just lethargic and didnt eat much

but...pups do get a bit off colour

vomiting a lot is of concern but pups do vomit from time to time.,,,sometimes its what they chew or the new food or stuff u introduce as treats..,.some seem to have sensitive stomachs

diarrhoea is also a problem at times so look for tape worm segments ....young pups do get reinfestations and sometimes when u worm them they can actually spit the stuff out after u think they have swallowed so make sure u hold their snout...when their tongue licks their lips the tablet is gone ( always check their bib area if long haired and the floor!)

if it goes on for more than a day or so...definitely go to ur vet but usually its nothing....so dont panic just be alert and be the poo detective...know what ur dogs stools look like normally and what can make them change

good luck ..let us know pls

thanks for the reply guys.

After i wrote the post i was with her all day making sure she was drinking and comfortable and later on in the day she started walking around again and ate a little bit of food. This made the alarm bells stop ringing so much so I saw the Vet the next morning who conveniently is downstairs from my work. He said pups do get a reation from the vaccine, some more than others, Just depends on how their bodies cope with getting rid of the viruses.

But now shes better than ever. She even went for her first walk down the street and loved it!! :D

Puppies can get very sick, many can die from their first vaccination. I always tell my puppy buyers NOT to get Fort Dodge, Protech Duramine vaccinations. I have had reactions like fitting, diahorrhea (sometimes including blood), which can last for 6 wks or more. Pain and pitiful crying for days, or just severe lethargy, vomiting.

Many vets will deny that this can occur so you have to ask experienced breeders as it happens in many breeds. I will only allow my puppies to be vaccinated with CANVAC C3 for their first vaccinations and then they can have a C5 for their 12 mnths. Or they can have a C5 for their 3rd vaccination at 12 - 15 wks old.

I remember my golden girl having 3 weeks of mucous/jelly like mustard coloured poos after her 12 week vaccination with Fort Dodge. Are the Protech Duramine injections made by the same people, or are people experiencing a lot of reactions with that as well? I've been using that since for all of my pups and adults with no problems (yet!)

We used the Protech Duramune vaccinations with our last litter of pups. No problem with the first vaccination, but the second vaccination left them all very, very ill.

We still had our two, mums boy and mack_truck's Foxy with us for the second vaccination. We had four very sick pups - Radar had bloody diahrrea, all had fevers and diahrrea and were very miserable. The vet suspected parvo (they ultimately tested negative).

I've never had anything like this happen before, and it was terrifying.

It was only after this event that I found out about the multitude of reported problems from people who have used this vaccine. Never again.

goldielover - my understanding is that yes, Fort Dodge is the manufacturer of Protech Duramune.