Clipping Pattern Needed

smisch

hi guys,

A Friend of mine has a 3yr old retriever who is in need of a good clip and trim.. I have volunteered myslef for the job, does anyone have a suggestion of what a retriver clip is (golden retreiver) not anything terribly fancy he's nota show dog just a very well loved pet! I can clip and own a pair of clippers and I can trim using sizzors but not to professional quality just enough that it looks half way to well done! so any sort of plan is appreciated! I did trim and clip jock the other day I think he looks quiet good but his back end is short due to the matting (I hae been away for a week so no one ended up brushing him), so he now looks like a short coated shelti!!!

I will put up photos of before and after..

Thanks

There is no goldie clip as they are not supposed to be clipped but people do request it.

I have done a few and have always been requested to completely shave off. They end up looking similar to a lab.

To just tidy up a goldie I will clip/scissor all of the hair out between the pads and around the very base of the foot to make it look more neat and compact.

The feathering is neatened up with thinning shears and hocks are taken slightly shorter with scissors then thinning shears.

I will also take the thnning shears around the outside of the ears if the hair is quite long and stringy, but that is it.

Some people like the pants to be taken back sorter etc, but this can look funny if the dog has a thick chest.

You will not be able to take back the length with a comb extension as the hair on their back sits very flat. The comb will take chunks out of the coat on the dogs back, but the chest and pants etc will be short.

Personally I would just tidy up, but if they're wanting the dog clipped, take it all off on a 4 or 5 blade to keep the coat even.

Taking clippers to breeds that aren't "designed" to be clipped gives weird results and some say the coat grows back thicker.

Clipping the coat when dirty will blunt your clipper blades and scissors quickly.

However, if you bath without getting out the matts/ tangles they'll only get worse. Maybe a groomer can advise??

I'd be hitting up your friend for the cost of blade and scissor sharpening. My MIL didn't bother to brush or bath her dog b4 I clipped it, so I didn't bother clipping him any more :) .

Yep a goldies coat does grow back thicker & that awful undercoat grows back more & the good correct coat is ruined.

There is no clip as already said there not suppose to be & generally a good brush through with the correct undercoat rakes gets out the coat that sheds,matts & makes them hot.

Dont do it!! I always try talk people out of clipping breeds like this if they havnt started. A double coated dog has the coat for a reason, but if you keep your dog bathed and BLOW DRIED regually, and well brushed you will keep that coat at bay. People seem to think they need to have their dog clipped because they are panting on a hot day?? :laugh:

Dogs pant, people sweat :rofl:

Dont do it!! I always try talk people out of clipping breeds like this if they havnt started. A double coated dog has the coat for a reason, but if you keep your dog bathed and BLOW DRIED regually, and well brushed you will keep that coat at bay. People seem to think they need to have their dog clipped because they are panting on a hot day?? :laugh:

Dogs pant, people sweat :rofl:

Yep, I hear ya.

They are all going to start coming out of the woodwork soon.

Goldens, Borders, Long Haired Sheps, I get them all.

As Doggrooma said, these double coated dogs use their coat as an insulator, and it does not require clipping.

Please consider just a good tidy up and brush out as I had mentioned.

I only clip these breeds when I know they are going to go ahead and do it anyway no matter what you say or advise. I sting the pocket so they bring the dog back so I can check its progress and maintainance this is built into the price!! Doing this also makes them think twice about clipping.

Like many of you I have seen the awful damage that can result.

thanks for the advice everyone! the good news is Oscar is not being clipped!!!! Instead just a trim to even up his tail and ears and a good coat king to get some of the excessive hair out of his coat!

Thanks again!

:laugh: I think most owners are well-intentioned, but don't understand how the coat works and what's needed with grooming.

At the moment, one of my poodles has a quite a few knots down the legs. Temptation is to just clip it off when I really need to do a better job of brushing and combing him :rofl: .