The Best Shampoo To Retain Beautiful Long Coat

MaddieMoo

To the owners of the long haired doggies here on DOL what shampoo do you use to keep coat beautiful and silky? Do you use conditioner? Do you use spray on detangler, and how often do you bath and dry? Thanks in advance :D

Edited by Shihtzu & Me

I use aloveen. I use conditioner on one dog because his fur is very thick (but also very, very soft, it feels like velvet) and it helps when I am brushing him.

I blow dry them after a bath and usually bath them about once a month. I brush them 2-3 times a week. With Ted when his coat is long I brush him daily. I also use a mars coat king on Tyke and Ted every three weeks to remove the undercoat.

The frequent grooming helps keep their coats in immaculate condition and enables me to check for ticks etc. I don`t use any spays, de tangling stuff etc etc.

They all love being groomed and are so used to being handled that you can do anything to them and they will all just stand for ages and ages.

My showdogs twice weekly in pantene & yes i use conditioner.

But the coat is only as good as its texture,diet & maintance.The product just finishes off the programme

There seems to be a lot of different opinions on how often to bath dogs. We are getting our pup this month and I have been perusing all the information on this topic. Most have suggested monthly bathing and only with a good soap free dog shampoo.

The above quote seems to contradict this finding. Years ago I had a Chihuahua and he was bathed weekly with "people" shampoo, blow dried and brushed with baby powder. He used to love this. He never had a skin problem and his coat was always soft and silky.

I would imagine Showdog has gorgeous healthy dogs and the human shampoo and weekly baths have not harmed them.

Moggy.

Different coats take different shampoos.

My gold Lhasa was always done in Pantene.

My black Lhasa was better in #1 All Systems.

I think it is more important how often you bath them, rather than what you use - the more often the better on a long coat like Lhasa/Shih Tzu. Dirty coat breaks, clean coat doesn't.

i grew up with the knowledge that one must not use human shampoo on animals

the ph balance or something..acidity whatever

someone here will clarify

i use aloveen ..love love the smell and i use the conditioner on my long haired one

now about pantene

i heard that it coats the shaft beautifully and gives it softness but that over time it actually damages the hair

gets this buildup

dont know..cant believe everything a hairdresser tells u but pantene certainly wasnt the number one with choice mag for human hair either

dove was

and fructis garnier was up there

no need to spend big $ at the hairdresser folks

A friend of mine used to work in the shampoo industry and she told me that the pet shampoo was no different to the human one.......so who knows. I have been using human shampoo on my dogs for 16 years, never had an issue yet.

I do know that Pantene not only works wonderfully on my own hair, but its done my dogs as well, for years, without any damage. Something I think hairdressers are full of you know what, coz they want you to buy the expensive stuff they sell.

Oh and I wash my Kees in wool wash......again, not a problem with it.

Edited by Rysup

I know a number of doggy brands source their stock from human factories - that is, chances are what is in your doggy brand bottle is in your human brand stuff.

I buy my Shampoo/Conditioner from a hairdresser's supplier. Get it in bulk and it works out quite cost effective if I have a number in coat (which I do). With Pantene, I really only recommend the Pantene Intensive Protein Treatment Conditioner - I find it the best of that range.

The pH myth is null-and-void when you consider the pH of the water you use to wash the dogs in, and if you dilute the Shampoo/Conditioner (which I always do) in water, it brings it closer to the pH of the water. The pH of dog's skin also varies and can be close to human. My thinking is, if the water is not damaging the skin then the diluted Shampoo/Conditioner won't. I never recommend Human stuff without diluting and most human sourced doggy brands have directions about diluting it.

I have long coated dogs who have been washed in Human stuff for their entire life. I have a 13 year old Lowchen bitch with coat to the ground - no damage there from the Shampoo/Conditioner. Surely it would be evident by now!

Acid13y_a_0567.jpg

most shampoos are just like detergents and its the alcohol that dries out the skin and fur( check the order of ingredients on the bottle..the first ones are the major ones so alcohol is usually right up there)

i havent thought of diluting the shampoo...this is great if it indeed its true..that the whole ph thing now no longer applies...i dont mean to be suspicious....its just something that i have always been told by breeders thru the seventies and eighties

id love to be able to relax the no human shampoo rule round here simply cos sometimes im short and have to run to get aloveen from the vet

most shampoos are just like detergents and its the alcohol that dries out the skin and fur( check the order of ingredients on the bottle..the first ones are the major ones so alcohol is usually right up there)

i havent thought of diluting the shampoo...this is great if it indeed its true..that the whole ph thing now no longer applies...i dont mean to be suspicious....its just something that i have always been told by breeders thru the seventies and eighties

id love to be able to relax the no human shampoo rule round here simply cos sometimes im short and have to run to get aloveen from the vet

Straight human stuff I don't recommend. The shampoo is too harsh and the conditioner to thick to do any good. I do a 1 part shampoo to 10 part warm water, I use the plastic "sauce" bottles you can buy for BBQ's and picnics. We've been using human stuff for a long time now, at least the early 80's. That's keeping Afghans in coat for years on end, I'm not trying to swindle you here, I am just sharing my experience.

lowenhart, so what human shampoo do you reccomend?

Honestly it depends on the coat, because different stuff works for on different hair. The stuff we buy you can only get from the hairdresser's supplier ;)

For stuff from the supermarket, I like a creamy opaque shampoo (not clear) for Coloured or Permed Hair. Same for conditioner, the stuff for Permed or Coloured Hair. You may try a few brands (and you can use the left overs if they don't work!).

Are your dogs in show? If they are not I would use any shampoo (personally I would never use human shampoo on my dogs) and I also dilute the shampoo. Pantene does have added silicon which can build up on coats over time, this would depend on the type of coat of course. Whatever you use you must rinse out the shampoo really well. Some of my dogs have reacted to Aloveen and others have not had a problem, I do like this shampoo also. As your dogs have long coats I would always condition, a good conditioner is much more important than shampoo and I also use a detangler when necessary and I use any brand, they all seem to work sufficiently.

Regards

Carabelle