Gsd & Using Treats In Training

It can depend on the GSD :thumbsup: I have one (Bronx the easy one) that would turn himself inside out for treats...yet the other (my Brat) likes treats but would be more inclined to turn himself inside out for high praise from me :laugh: It can just be a matter of finding out what turns them on :D

The GSD's I know are very interested in toys praise etc, but it could be the case of the dogs are not hungry enough, or food is not tasty enough !!

Cooper was not interested in food until I found out what he could not resist.

Wow Miccar, love the pic of your dog!!!!!!!! I agree, with my GSD she will work for treats no problem but when she works in drive, for a tug on her piece of hose, it's like looking at a different dog. Treats great, tug in prey drive EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

My boy is very food motivated and has a high prey drive. Another girl Shep at training was not the least bit interested in food and at the beginners level the club was very focused on using food - she was also not that interested in toys either, but this would be the next option.

Try getting a 'special' toy that the dog places a high value on interacting with, I am now using a special tinkle ball (bell ball) for my dog because he can hear when the ball is out and knows exactly what he is going to get when he finishes whatever routine I've cooked up for him. This toy only comes out for training and once he's had his play with it goes back in the reward bag, so he doesn't get free reign with it.

The down side to using the ball as opposed to a tug toy (which he also has) is that the ball is thrown for his reward so he's not interacting with me as he would with a tug toy. I stopped using the tug toy because the one I have is too big and cumbersome to practice heelwork and agility with ;)

Wow Miccar, love the pic of your dog!!!!!!!! I agree, with my GSD she will work for treats no problem but when she works in drive, for a tug on her piece of hose, it's like looking at a different dog. Treats great, tug in prey drive EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Thanks ! Yes Henry also turns into a "different" dog when we train him or play using his prey drive.

The rest of the world around him just does not exist anymore.....

I have GSD ....mine work for treats.....it all depends on what you give them.....mine love chicken pieces (small)...they smell it on my hands & in my pocket.....I do not always feed them the treats....only now & then so they do not think they are going to get it all the time :)

I've had 2 GSD puppies in class now at dog school that couldn't give a rats about their food treats. Is this a coincidence or are GSD less food motivated???

My GSD doesn't finish his dinner never mind pay attention to food treats. He doesn't seem to have a prey drive either.

My boy is very food motivated and has a high prey drive. Another girl Shep at training was not the least bit interested in food and at the beginners level the club was very focused on using food - she was also not that interested in toys either, but this would be the next option.

Try getting a 'special' toy that the dog places a high value on interacting with, I am now using a special tinkle ball (bell ball) for my dog because he can hear when the ball is out and knows exactly what he is going to get when he finishes whatever routine I've cooked up for him. This toy only comes out for training and once he's had his play with it goes back in the reward bag, so he doesn't get free reign with it.

The down side to using the ball as opposed to a tug toy (which he also has) is that the ball is thrown for his reward so he's not interacting with me as he would with a tug toy. I stopped using the tug toy because the one I have is too big and cumbersome to practice heelwork and agility with :)

Sounds a lot like my dog Vehs :laugh: I used to use tennis balls to great effect but the throwing away is a problem. Try this - I got 100% (no exaggeration!!!) by doing this. A friend told me about it and it works better, much better than anything else, tug toy even. A thirty to forty centimetre-long piece of hose. Can use radiator hose but I use heavy duty 14mm washing machine hose - the wider stuff, it comes in two diameters. Condition the dog onto the hose by whipping it around your body and spinning around as you do it. then fold it up under your forearm as you heel when they want it and watch the difference. Then graduate to pushing it up your sleeve when you heel, then either sleeve, then your front of your tshirt, then stick in belt behind your back. It is way better than a tug toy. To reward, you can throw it and I do sometimes, just very short distance like customs do with their dummy to reward their labs (dummy is rolled up towel). Then get the dog back to you and really tug. Him in middle, you hands both sides of the hose. Pull him up onto your chest as reward - big deal being up high with the Alpha. Stroke his head with one hand to rev him up as he's tugging. GENTLY, put the knee on his chest and spin him round. My dog jumps for joy at that part, she goes hyper!!! Safer than a tennis ball, better than a jingle ball as bond is stronger with dog as you are not throwing the reward far away from you. The dog will totally love the interaction totally. Get the hose the right strength though as it gets pretty rough. And really the only thing you must be careful of is NEVER to accidentally hit the dog with the hose when throwing him in drive by flicking it around. I hit myself on the knee once and now have a scar. You'd be surprised how much force behind flicking the hose. But give it a go. If you've been able to swap, condition from tug toy to ball, try hose. Heaps heaps better for training, especially heel. :D