Police Dogs

Seita

I am currently under instruction to remain inside my house due to there being a domestic issue going on with my neighbours. I have about 6 police cars, an ambulance, a paramedics car and a dog squad car parked in front of my house... so I am somewhat bored.

What got me thinking though was earlier in the afternoon I was outside and my dog was bouncing around in my front yard, the police asked me to lock my dog up so they could get one of their dogs to focus. Shouldn't a police dog be trained to focus in all situations, isn't that the point?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:laugh: You would think so!

Whats the point of a service dog that won't work around other dogs? Its not like they can guarantee that all situations that they might need the dog in will be void of dogs.

Gosh...even in basic obedience the dog is expected to work around other dogs........

I know! That's what I was thinking. I was on the phone with my mum just before I went outside and we were talking about dog training and stuff like that, then this cop tells me to lock my dog up so his can focus... I almost said something about the level of training! :laugh:

I am currently under instruction to remain inside my house due to there being a domestic issue going on with my neighbours. I have about 6 police cars, an ambulance, a paramedics car and a dog squad car parked in front of my house... so I am somewhat bored.

You find all of THAT boring? :laugh:

What got me thinking though was earlier in the afternoon I was outside and my dog was bouncing around in my front yard, the police asked me to lock my dog up so they could get one of their dogs to focus. Shouldn't a police dog be trained to focus in all situations, isn't that the point?

Perhaps it was just a precaution ..... sounds like a pretty serious situation out there.

Edited by Erny

most police dogs are entire adult males with high drive. When they go out to work they are hyped up, and your dog would be going off barking and carryingn on exciting them even more. They are trained to get excited and work under a high stress load, so not knowing how your dog would react with the police dog about they are doing the right thing.

most police dogs are entire adult males with high drive. When they go out to work they are hyped up, and your dog would be going off barking and carryingn on exciting them even more. They are trained to get excited and work under a high stress load, so not knowing how your dog would react with the police dog about they are doing the right thing.

Very true Nekhbet police dogs have a hard enough work load and stressful environments to work in.

You're Bored :laugh::laugh: You've got a seige and maybe a hostage situation going on right under your nose and you're bored???? Man!!! What does it take to rev you up :laugh: That's scary stuff happening there.

I'm not at all surprised the police told you to lock your dog up and stay inside the house. If the situation hots up your dog might be a problem and besides you and your dog should stay safely indoors so the police can concentrate on the situation they're dealing with.

You find all of THAT boring? :laugh:

You're Bored :laugh::) You've got a seige and maybe a hostage situation going on right under your nose and you're bored???? Man!!! What does it take to rev you up :laugh: That's scary stuff happening there.

Mmmm....maybe Seita has high dog work/play drive. We all know that when drives are properly developed, all other distractions disappear for the want of drive satisfaction. But if the drive isn't satisfied, this can bleed over into other unwanted behaviours........wonder what Seita is up to now? :laugh:

Much the same happened with me and a working beagle - can't remember if it was a Customs or Quaranteen dog tho. We were at an Opening of a place and the dog was there to show what it could do. Much like i was there with my dog and a group of others. I'd walked through - out of sight of the beagle and was watching - and i was asked to move further away. Further away waan't far enough and i was asked to move my dog to well away from the arena - so i had to crate my dog before i could go and watch. Through all this Bronx hadn't made a sound nor showed any interest to what the beagle was doing - but the beagle was apparently very interested in Bronx - which was the reason given that the beagle wasn't working properly :rofl:

As to QLD Police dogs...for the most part i've had no issue in regards to the dogs (seen some things happen - but as far as i was concerned it was handler error)...however some of the handlers have left a few things to be desired over the years.

Edited by KitKat

Are service dogs trained to ignore bitch in season scent?

Standing in line for a nightclub and being pooch searched got housemate and I wondering if we'd be in trouble some time. Imagining that we'd be desperately trying to explain that the dog is excited by my bitch at home not by drugs and please don't cavity search us! :rofl:

Much the same happened with me and a working beagle - can't remember if it was a Customs or Quaranteen dog tho. We were at an Opening of a place and the dog was there to show what it could do. Much like i was there with my dog and a group of others. I'd walked through - out of sight of the beagle and was watching - and i was asked to move further away. Further away waan't far enough and i was asked to move my dog to well away from the arena - so i had to crate my dog before i could go and watch. Through all this Bronx hadn't made a sound nor showed any interest to what the beagle was doing - but the beagle was apparently very interested in Bronx - which was the reason given that the beagle wasn't working properly :rofl:

As to QLD Police dogs...for the most part i've had no issue in regards to the dogs (seen some things happen - but as far as i was concerned it was handler error)...however some of the handlers have left a few things to be desired over the years.

Interesting you should say this. My BIL used to be in the dog squad and when we got our dogs made all the right noises about training and seemed to know what he was talking about. They've since got themselves a weimaraner that is the most under stimulated, ignored dog I've seen in quite some time. They've finally begun to take the situation (big dog completely out of control and going to hurt someone with his playful/boisterous behaviour) seriously and are doing something about it, but his handling skills are even worse than mine - a complete novice!

Thumbs up to them for beginning to address the situation, but it really shocked me that someone who was meant to have spent two years in a professional training environment had so little idea about handling a dog. On the bright side both the dog and it's handlers are improving rapidly.

I'm sure there are good and bad in every lot, but this is my one experience on this issue.

Interesting... I have never had a problem training with Chirpie Palmer who runs the QLD Police Dog Squad or any of his boys in the 10 years I have known and worked with him....

I'm sure on the job he was probably fine, but apparently it didn't transfer to home life. I don't know any of the other boys in the squad, just commenting on what seemed strange.

You find all of THAT boring? :rofl:

Perhaps it was just a precaution ..... sounds like a pretty serious situation out there.

AHHhhh Erny,..U make me laugh! I was thinkin the same thing...i would be at the windows with popcorn and a softserve lol

And just as the very best top Obedience dogs can lose focus at the odd time, I don't think a police officer would want to risk any possibility at all of his dog being distracted in such a dangerous situation. Otherwise, it could literally put lives at risk and be totally irresponsible of the officer not to ask for any dogs to be removed or kept inside, just in case. The dog might be brilliant... bulletproof... but the correct procedure would surely be to clear the area of all animals as well as people, to give the dog the closest to perfect circumstances in which to do its difficult and dangerous job? I'm sure the police dog would be an excellent worker. They quickly reject those that aren't.

K9: when I have worked dogs in similar circumstances I too have asked that all other dogs be put away, the concern was FOR my dogs, I didnt want them being attacked by someone's dog that was lose...

Police Service Dogs are worked in environments of high distractions all the time including other dogs being around, barking & working on other tasks, so I cant see that being an issue...

Interesting... I have never had a problem training with Chirpie Palmer who runs the QLD Police Dog Squad or any of his boys in the 10 years I have known and worked with him....

He is a really really nice bloke :) Never had a problem with him at all. And most of the handlers i've met and dealt with in the past have also been fantastic and great with their dogs - and like/love their dogs. However there have been a small number that i wonder why they even wanted to work in the Dog Squad - let alone with dogs!. One example being the misuse of a collar - i managed to get the dog to do what i wanted it to without going to extremes as i saw it - but perhaps the handler was having a bad day and the dog was being a pig and making it worse *shrugs* I guess the temp of the dogs can make that more likely.

I must admit...i just wish they had a position that i could apply for out their way. I'd give a lot to work in even slight proximity - unfortunately i don't think they have anything at the AO4 level at this point! I don't see the guys as much any more, but i kept leaving hints before :rofl:

Coming from an Army dog handling background in the Uk, I can understand why Seita's dog was asked to be put away. If not to be a distraction to the police dogs, just more a precuation for the dogs own saftey. However as someone else said said when a dog is in high drive it can actually be very easy for that dog to transfer it's drive onto someone or something that was not the origional aim. It all depends on the experience of the handler to control this. In the 15 years that I have been in this country the biggest percentage of handlers both in the Police and Army have been very good at their job but there is a small percentage who got into it for the glory and ego trip and thus their dogs where an extention of their d!#*s.

So Seita what actually was the outcome from your seige the other day, do we get to know?