Ideas For Giant Breed Vet Visit

I have to take my Saint to the vet to get his ear fixed.

There in lies the problem, Im quiet sure its just a yeasty thing but he wont keep still for the vet to have a good look so of course he is going to say he needs to put him under to keep him still.....

Should I ask prior for some sort of sedative to make him calm?

The problem is he bloody pats him and plays with him and then being a puppy, he gets all excited and wont stand still.

Im almost convinced he does it delibretly to make me pay more???

How does making him roll all over the floor getting patted make him calm!!

Any ideas?

Have you trained your dog to sit and stay? I don't think dogs are too fond of that otoscope the vets shove into their ears but mine know that sit and stay means just that and they're pretty good. They don't like it but they know they have to tolerate it.

Which vet do you go to?

I find Sam McCurdy fantastic.

I have taught My guys 'check'.

Which means i can check their teeth or ears or feet.

It has really helped with my guys.

Other than that, can you treat him into letting the vet look??

Tire him out that day, walks etc.... tell your vet just to get stuck in to the ear check straight away.... I find it bizarre that he doesn't know how to keep a dog calm in consult. Try to avoid the sedative, play with his ears as much as possible before your next visit. Best to try to get on top of it before it becomes an ongoing issue (which ear problems often are).

Good luck!

BTW - If you do suspect your vet of trying to skint your pockets then perhaps find another one? :rofl:

Is it just me or is a general anaesthetic ("put him out") total overkill just to inspect ears?

How about a muzzle as a safety measure (if concerned about biting) and the other good suggestions above?

Are you in contact with other Saint Bernard people and can they suggest a vet in your area?

Many dogs are sedated to have their ears examined if they have a painful ear or they cannot be kept steady enough to allow the Vet to properly examine the ear. If you are searching for a possible grass seed for example you then need to have it removed, under sedation you can spy it and grab it the one procedure normally. A thorough exam and cleaning of infected ears can sometimes only be achieved under sedation.

I use 2 vets actually, (Main St and Cardinia)

One I think is better with my smaller dog and the other is better with the bigger so I use both but I think I will try the other one for my big guy now, they dont hype him up like the other one (in the past)

Im not worried about him biting, its just he gets excited and makes it near on impossible for them to look in his ears , 70+kgs is hard to control when hes squirming.

I didnt mean put him right under either, sedating as in a calming potion or something.

I will look into this rescue remedy.

Quick edit, Hes fine with me touching or cleaning his ears, just other people get him excited... hes a puppy still.

Edited by saintlysusan

Ears are very sensitive and the majority of dogs that come into work need to be sedated to be able to get a good look at especially if they are really sore,ask the vet to sedate him with domitor not a full GA.

Domitor will sedate him to the point he can't move if given the correct dose.When my boy ripped half his due claw off he would not sit still to have it pulled off,he did not try to bite but every time you got hold of his leg he would scream......but after sedation with domitor we got the dew claw off with no complaints :rofl: I should add he is a pansy!!

eta. he should be sedated at the vet not before you get there.

Edited by sheree_e4

Most vets will only sedate/anaesthetise as a last resort. I think getting the vet to just get straight to it with no preamble will help. Being he is a puppy (and a large one at that!) I can see your dilemma. Hope you sort something out! :rofl:

I wish.

The vet I was talking about, I like him and he seems to know his stuff, he has allways played with him and then says, "well in order to look I will need him sedated" but I think he actually stirs him up to get that responce.

And while its cute Im sure and he genuinely seems to like playing with the big boofa, it makes it near impossible to actually treat a basic (something) and it turns a vet bill of perhaps $80-$125? into a full on surgical proceedure and that is alot more costly obviously..

A full sedation will also mean he has to stay there all day until hes fully awake again, theres no way I could carry a sleeping Saint to my wagon.

Sorry for my ramble.. Would it be considered rude to ask him to be firm and not revv him up? I am stirn with him (in a lovey dovey kinda way lol) so he generally dosent muck up for me, maybe that would be the way?

Another idea I had was to get an old towel and cut a piece out near the middle to allow access to ear. A towel wrapped around his head might make it easier to hold him steady?

Humans can go home 4 hours after sedation. General rule is they have something to eat and drink, and keep it down, then go.

GA alone (for Xray) for my 25kg standard poodle was about $100-, sedation should be less.

mmmm a vet getting into trouble for being nice to your dog.... the tables have turned, be thankful that your vet actually likes dealing with your dog! Not all vets like dealing with 70kg of bouncing pup who won't sit still. I can't imagine that they would deliberately excite the dog, but it is your job to control your dog. Teach him what is expected of him when he needs to be examined. If 70kg isn't well behaved that exams are next to impossible and sedation is often required.

PS costs are high when your dogs weighs 70kg, that's just a fact of life! Sorry i can't be of more help but it really sounds like your problem not the vets.

My dog had a very deep grass seed removed from her ear yesterday. She was given Domitor and reversed immediately with Antisedan. The whole thing took ten minutes and she was back to normal almost straight away. The sedation/reversal cost $95, and I waited in the waiting room while it was done and took her straight home.

Edited by Toohey

mmmm a vet getting into trouble for being nice to your dog.... the tables have turned, be thankful that your vet actually likes dealing with your dog! Not all vets like dealing with 70kg of bouncing pup who won't sit still. I can't imagine that they would deliberately excite the dog, but it is your job to control your dog. Teach him what is expected of him when he needs to be examined. If 70kg isn't well behaved that exams are next to impossible and sedation is often required.

PS costs are high when your dogs weighs 70kg, that's just a fact of life! Sorry i can't be of more help but it really sounds like your problem not the vets.

Oh he likes dealing with him alright, $$$$$$$$$$$$

The fact that he likes him isnt the issue, its that he plays with him and makes it all the more harder.

Why have they ever mentioned how much money they make off him? Doubt it, perhaps it's your mindset that counts the dollars but I doubt that why they play with him on the floor, perhaps they just like him!

Perhaps the world would be a brighter place for you if you looked upon it as a vet who likes my dog! ok so feel free to ask the vet to play after the examination if you would prefer but cuddles cost nothing and vets often prefer to relax the patient first but if your boy needs the discipline then politely ask for you to be able to hold him and then have playtime after.

You really need to get waay from the money mindset, and if you really believe that your vet is playing with him to make money off sedation then either go to the vet board, change vets or change attitudes. Personally I would think you should be happy. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear but you were asking!

Why have they ever mentioned how much money they make off him? Doubt it, perhaps it's your mindset that counts the dollars but I doubt that why they play with him on the floor, perhaps they just like him!

Perhaps the world would be a brighter place for you if you looked upon it as a vet who likes my dog! ok so feel free to ask the vet to play after the examination if you would prefer but cuddles cost nothing and vets often prefer to relax the patient first but if your boy needs the discipline then politely ask for you to be able to hold him and then have playtime after.

You really need to get waay from the money mindset, and if you really believe that your vet is playing with him to make money off sedation then either go to the vet board, change vets or change attitudes. Personally I would think you should be happy. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear but you were asking!

Might be time to change vets...

The vet bills isnt a issue until it becomes 3 or 4 times the cost because he stirs him up and then wonders why he wont stop still to be looked over , which is why I asked about a sedative of some sort.

So control your dog and ask the vet to play after the examination. Why is there an issue here? Speak up, if you are willing to bag your vet on the internet you must feel strongly so take your dog to the vet, control it, and politely ask the vet to play afterwards, the vet is not going to care. Mind you I doubt that the play alone is enough to make any dog "need sedation". Many dogs need sedation for ear examinations and that's a fact of life. Cut your nice vet a break and get real.

When I first took my beautiful, silly but hyperactive Rottweiler to the vet I explained to him that she behaves like a ratbag so to please assume an air of authority with her. He does and says Sophie is one of his favourite patients. He gives her treats after he's attended to her but beforehand he speaks to her in a calm voice and gets on with what he needs to do and she sits quietly without fuss.

The vet nurses on the other hand used to rev her up as soon as we walked in the door. They would speak in an excited voice and cuddle enthusiastically. I did ask them to please not to rev her up because I want her to be calm when the vet examines her so they then did the cuddles and revving up after we came out of the consult room. They were great nurses and unfortunately they've all moved on. The nurses there now don't appear to interact with any dogs. They just tell people to take a seat. I miss the girls who used to be there.

About ears. My dog needed to be anaesthetised to flush out her ears. She had yeast caused by water in the ear when I was taking her to the hydrotherapy pool. We couldn't get rid of it any other way despite our efforts.