Games To Play With Puppy

chloebear

How about catch? Like throwing a tennis ball up in the air for the dog. I'm doing this, and also another trick which involves resting a tennis ball on the brow of Scud so that he can balance it there and then catch it when it rolls off. Scud also loves to play chasings, or a game of 'boo'. With chasings I run circles around the archways of our house and he trys to catch me, then we change directions and I chase him. Boo is just the old fashioned hide behind the couch and jump up or sideways, hehe. It's all very childish but he loves it. :thumbsup:

Hi..I don't know about playing chasey or jumping games with her, Chloebear..when you are trying to discourage some of this behaviour :thumbsup:

How about 'search and destroy' games ....

hiding food/toys , and getting her to 'find' them?

One thing I DO 'play' is the doggie version of the three peas :rolleyes:

Get 3 cups/pots, all the same. tip them , mouth down, onto a hard floor.

Take one tasty/smelly treat, and let her see you put it under one of the pots.

With signs etc, show her where it is a few times, while saying "find' or 'where is it" or something...

THEN start shuffling the position of the treasure cup around...don't put cups TOO close to each other, and let her nose find the treat!

Mine have always loved it!They have to watch, think, find , and then get their treat when they tip over the cup !

You can also maybe teach her shake hands, using food or toys as reward?

Sorry..I'm afraid my dogs don't get played with, really.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told that the best game was fetch and also to get them to chase you. I dont like tug of war games. Can get a bit fiesty. I like to be in control and getting them to chase me also helps in teaching them to come to you when theyre still learning perfect recall.

A game some of mine like is to search for a favourite toy (tug, ball or squeaky). Sometimes I put it in one of those eco friendly shopping bags and they have to figure out hoe to get it out (I scrunch the bag up) or hide it under furniture etc.

I also do tug and fetch, and incorporate that into my training.

Clicker training can be good to keep them busy too - targetting is a fun way to start.

I am so trying out our game Persephone, sounds like a hoot! :thumbsup:

We play 'which toy is it?' I have a squeaker, rope and ball and mine have learnt the 'command' for each. When I give them the command they pick it up and we play a little game (tug or fetch) and I give them another command. Mine get especially excited over squeakers, their favourite.

I also like hiding stuff.

We tried hide and seek the other night. I tell Turtle to sit and stay and then go and hide in another room and call out the "ok" command and he gets very excited when he finds me. It was a lot of fun. I'm currently trying to avoid the games he prefers, which is "climb all over mum and try to dominate her while she is sitting on the couch" - not fun :shakehead:

• 2 weeks later...