Training Treats

I currently use 100% natural dried liver but its very rich I think and I was wondering what others use?

He loves it but we pay for it a few hours later with him (gas.. lol)

Thanks in advance

I found Louie reacted like that with liver

I just use bits of Louie's dry food (eagle pack which is nice ad small) for training treats, as Louie is the kind of dog to get FAT easy I just take his treats from his daily food allowance in the morning

Edited by Pug Hugger

I currently use 100% natural dried liver but its very rich I think and I was wondering what others use?

Thanks in advance

I use a variety of things;

Roast chicken

Cooked chicken breast

Sausages

Steak

Cheese

Devon - or variations of

Smackos

Liver treats

The first four items are basically leftovers from human meals - no meat product in our house goes to waste. :rolleyes:

Bear.

Thanks in advance

I use a variety of things;

Roast chicken

Cooked chicken breast

Sausages

Steak

Cheese

Devon - or variations of

Smackos

Liver treats

The first four items are basically leftovers from human meals - no meat product in our house goes to waste. :rofl:

Bear.

I do much the same,i also just cut it up and freeze it and when i'm going to do some training just get it out of freezer and in half and hour its defrosted,usually breaks up easily too

oh and cabanossi is great if you're going to be spitting treats from your mouth :rolleyes:

Edited by 4 Paws

oh and cabanossi is great if you're going to be spitting treats from your mouth :rofl:

:rolleyes: :rofl:

First (and last!!!) time I gave Pepper cabanossi, she let one loose, then looked at me strangely wondering what she just did and what the noise was! Had me in stitches!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I use steamed chicken, cheese, homemade bikkies, or Nature's Gift Liver Mini-bites, although these can be rich. Do a search for dog recipes and you'll find heaps of ideas!

Broken up rice cracker snacks work well too!

As long as its healthy and of high value to the dog, it dosn't really matter.

It does help though if its moist and easy to scoff, otherwise it slows you down too much.

My tip is to go for maximum value foods. Some of these may not be the easiest or cleanest to handle, but that is not important. They can be used in target bags etc.

I use whatever we have. I buy a different type of treat every time we go down, I also use bits of chopped up chicken or leftover lamb, every once in a whiel I will slice up liver or heart and dry it slowly in the oven. They love it so much but it stinks out the kitchen a bit.

If there is none of those things I use cheese or their nomrla kibble, just try to keep it exciting.

Guest Piximatosis

Chicken roll, devon roll, frankfurts, Nature's Gift treats.

Although I get very creative at home when teaching something for the first time that needs extra encouragement, in the last two weeks I've trained Holly with bacon, waffles and pork crackling to convince her that the dumbbell is not evil :rofl:

I was using frankfurts and cabanna but was a bit worried about the fat/salt/spices and preservatives.

Now I keep an eye on the meat cabinet at the supermarket and buy good quality meat thats marked down/close to out of date, cook it up and cut it into small treats.

More cost effective than the cabanna and frankfurts, and at least I know there's nothing in it but meat!! :rofl:

My treat bags that I take with me to training usually have chopped cabanossi or frankfurts; some little bits of cheese; some dry dog treats (those nature's gifts ones from the supermarket) and some dry kibble stuff. Sometimes I will throw in some bacon pieces or dry water cracker things.

I have found that having such a huge variety works really well with any dog. If they know what treat they are going to get then they can choose whether or not they want to work for it. If it is a complete lottery then they are more likely to work because it could be something super wonderful :thumbsup: If you only feed that "super wonderful" treat every time then it quickly loses its effectiveness and you need to find another one.

i know they love it

because ive had people give them cabanossi ...

but im loathe to give dogs anything so high in salt and goodness knows what

if i dont give it to my kids i wont give it to the dogs...( as far as manufactured foods go)

so my preference is for cooked chicken..plain (not bbq from the shop)

small bits of cheese they love too..but not the sliced rubber cheese...i doubt its even related to cow the way they process it!!

BC,

Do you mean you walk around training your dog with his treats (hotdog or leg ham) in YOUR mouth?

Surely that cant be? Im trying to imagine you spitting out bits of food at your dog when hes good!! lmao!

Spitting treats from your mouth is a great way to get your dog focused on your face,not your hands.

Just make sure you use fresh treats,i like cabanossi and agree with BC,cheese does get a bit claggy.You don't need to fill your mouth with treats at the start,just pop them in when the dogs not looking

I only like to use treats that are low in salt and have no artificial colours/preservatives/additives etc. I usually use steamed chicken or lamb and cut it up into small pieces. On the very odd occasion, I will use some chopped up ham or cheese (but due to the salt content, don't use much). I have found Ziwipeak to be excellent - and of course, liver treats, and the Kramar Supa Natural treats (that don't have potassium sorbate added) are good too.

At this time of year, I'll get the odd punnet of raspberries and use those (my boy just loves them!)