Rimadyl - Side Effects?

benny123

Spud has been prescribed Rimadyl 100mg chewable (7 tablets) for inflammation from a yeast infection in his ear. He's had his first one tonight after his dinner and has now put himself to bed - not normal! Are there any side effects I should be aware of?

He may have just gone to bed as it was a big trip to the vet (60K round trip), a bit of shopping etc and back home. Normally he has a nap or 10 during the day, which may be why he's tired, but just wondering about Rimadyl. Thanks

You have right for concern, as this drug can be nasty! Any person/dog can have bad reactions to drugs at any time, this one i think is more long term use which can result in death. Hopefully he is just tired after his ordeal & break in routine :laugh:

I've found Rimadyl to be an excellent anti inflammatory and very good for pain relief. It should always be given with a full meal though, never on an empty stomach.

Some dogs do seem to be intolerant of this drug but all mine have been fine with it.

Thanks every one. He's now awake and playing like he normally does, so the sleepiness was perhaps just the change of routine today. I only have 7 days of Rimadyl, just to help with the pain and inflammation so his ear is easier to clean and medicate. He had the tablet immediately after his dinner (which is his main meal) which was Nutro kibble, yoghurt and sardines tonight, so hopefully it won't irritate his stomach.

If this doesn't work then apparently he'll have to have a general anaesthetic and ear clean. Don't know why as he's the most placid dog and would happily have his ear syringed. His ear was very red and sore looking today but he sat clamly and let the vet poke and prod and take swabs and didn't move until he was given the release word. Hope we can sort it out without anything as radical as a GA.

In the meantime, his swiming outings are a no-no.

I've found Rimadyl to be an excellent anti inflammatory and very good for pain relief. It should always be given with a full meal though, never on an empty stomach.

Some dogs do seem to be intolerant of this drug but all mine have been fine with it.

Same here. My late doggy was on Rimadyl and she was fine. My BF's dog is on it now and he is fine and so is my friends dog.

Every drug has side effects.

Frodo had a course of Rimadyl after his recent dog attack ordeal and major surgery (among other drugs). No side effects, he seems to have made a wonderful recovery so I can't speak against it. Anything that helped him cope with that ongoing post-op pain and misery I am grateful to the vet for prescribing.

I am with Pebbles here- Rimadyl, Metacam and other non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drugs can have fatal side affects.

nearly 2 yrs ago I nearly lost my avatar girl after one dose of metacam- result on a drip at the Vet for three days

have a look at the following website

www.dogsadversereactions.com, you will be mortified!

No NSAIDs for this house

Some dogs have adverse reactions to some drugs the same as people have adverse reactions to some drugs.

My dogs who have had Rimadyl have always had a blood test to ensure they have no health problems that would contra indicate the drug. We've had no problems with Rimadyl and none of my dogs needed it long term.

What is the alternative to NSAIDS?

Many of the natural products are very slow to work or they don't work at all. These products are quite expensive and for something that doesn't work it's a PITA...but more importantly in the meantime we have a dog suffering pain.

I've found Joint Guard to be the best for arthritis and joint pain but a dog post surgery or any other condition, acute or chronic, that causes serious pain needs pain relief immediately.

What do you give dogs for pain relief if they are unable to tolerate NSAIDS?

Spud has been prescribed Rimadyl 100mg chewable (7 tablets) for inflammation from a yeast infection in his ear.
ALL drugs have potential side effects.

A good vet will tell you about the more common ones and aims for benefit outweighing risks.

You shouldn't need it long term if for pain related to an ear infection.

My guess is that the Rimadyl was prescribed for the inflammation rather than pain relief. It's an excellent anti inflammatory.