Help ---> Going Insane

prada

Hi All,

I have a 12 month old male desexed border collie, for the past few months he has been jumping on our side fence whenever our neighbour is in their backyard. He doesnt bark or growl and he has never made it over the fence but soon as he hears any noise over that fence he is up and down and manages to get his head over. If I'm home and tell him to stop he leaves it alone. But I can tell from the marks on the fence that it is happening frequently. I spoke to my neighbour who is elderly and he is not happy at all. I explained to him that i am sorry and offered to replce the fence with a higher one(which is a hundred years old) My dog is not doing any damage, But my neighbour has cracked it and now refuses to even look in my direction. With no support from my neighbour who only needs to talk to the dog to get him to stop, I'm lost. I know its my dog and my problem and i am desperate to fix it. Its not an agressive thing, its more curiosity. I am paranoid whenever I leave that house. I have tried to look ito some sort of barrier (electronic etc) but i can not find anything for a single fence. Anyone have any ideas for my sanity and a happy neighbour) As I said this is mainly happening when i am not home.

Can you put in an extra fence at some distance back from the boundary fence? As an example, star poles and dog mesh would make an effective one and is not too expensive. Dog would not be able to see over from further back and would not be banging on the fence.

yes good idea sidoney

a second fence would be the answer..could be expensive i know but look at all options

its hard to train the dog without the cooperation of the neighbour and without you being home to do it consistently

keep at it...dont give up

slip a note to the neighbour that you are exploring options ..let him know you do care...he may with time even come around and respect you...hes just cranky ( understandably at the moment)

do the right thing...thats all

I would think an electric wire would work. Has cured our boy from climbing over the fence. Can be put on a single fence or right around the yard and very inexpensive. We set up ours for around $200 and that was for about an acre.

A dog mesh fence for one side of a suburban backyard would not be very expensive - when I last bought stuff to do it, might have been $100 for dog mesh and posts. And only because you have to buy a roll of dog mesh which is more than will be needed.

On your side of the fence you could look at putting electric fence stand off (they will hold wire out from fence) and then run a couple of strand of electric fencing. Check in rural mags, etc probably can pick up the stuff second hand and then resale latter if not needed any more.

edit - forgot to say check local council laws re electric fences in surban areas, don't want to upset neighbour anymore.

Edited by chloebear

It sounds like your dog is bored and the neighbour is giving him some stimulation.......through noise etc....

By all means I would put up the internal wire fence so he isn't banging on the neighbours fence.....but don't be surprised if this turns into another behaviour such as barking or digging.

consider how much exercise he is getting...a tired dog is less likely to get bored. Even a good walk might not tire him much. he is a working dog that is ment to be running sheep all day. With my bc, a good run beside the bike going quite fast every morning for just 30 min was enough that he spent much of the day snoozing. And then another ride at night.......But even an hour brisk walk didn't wear him out and he would be wanting to play ball afterwards. A swim worked wonders too for wearing him out too if you have the chance.

Also mental stimulation...... my kelpie has a huge requirement for mental stimulation. We do obedience and agility weekly, and we do bits of training every day.....maybe 3 x 10 min or more + adhoc NILF type training and clicker training. I am constantly teaching him new things which seems to give him stuff to think about and he has every concievable 'thinking' toy imaginable......toys with treats inside that he has to manipulate to get them.....and toys hanging so he can play tug by himself.....he gets bones that require a bit of work and time to get at the yummy stuff, to take up a chunk of his day and he also has company in another dog.

Have you also considered taking your dog out to some herding clinics and such......he is afterall a sheep dog and may find heaps of mental stimulation for the chance to use his instincts.

remember that working breed dogs in a backyard = lots of work!!!!!

I was thinking the dog must be bored and/or lonely. How much exercise/mental stimulation are you providing??

There was a thread in Non urgent rescues from a DOL member wanting to rehome her BC. A lot of people agreed she should with her circumstances but DOL member Boomba posted some very useful information that might help you keep your dog wanting to stay at home.

Have a look, the thread was started by JungleGeorge.

Electric fence is a GREAT idea, can get from ebay and resell once you have finished or if it doesnt work.

We have one around the veggies and our kelpie wont even go in that part of the yard - the fence has been out of batteries for weeks. Total cost new at bunnings was $120ish

I saw him going under the fence the first time and the elec wire touched his ear and YELPED!!!! and ran off and wouldnt come any where near after that. Its not too much electricity, we ahve 4yo touching it all the time for giggles :laugh:

Like others have said, this is an outlet for your dogs boredom.

You will need to find more things to keep the dog occupied, as well as keeping him away from the fence.

He obviously loves to stickybeak, as long as he isnt barking I would consider getting him something to climb onto where he can watch some more of what is happening around him.