Abcess In Anal Gland..

Missymoo

First of all, we went up to the vet this morning and she got a shot of antibiotics and is on extra stong tablets.

The mass is solid so the vet wanted to try to use these before thinking of surgery..I feel so bad that it has taken me so long to notice it..she only starts to lick it and carry on about her tail two days ago..I though she had been stung by a bee or somthing. The yesterday as she was still carrying on I rolled her over and felt around and OMG! Poor Mooey!

Any ideas as to bathing it? Should I get a 'bucket collar' and stop her licking the site or not as the vet didnt mention this...

She is still bright and happy and eating well so I hope I have caught it. I feel so bad. :rofl:

poor darlin! i personally wouldnt put anything on it ;that will incourage her to lick it off ; I have a bitch that has problems with her anul glands so i have to have them sqeezed every so often; but have never had an abcess; so cant advise further ;you know you can have the glands removed if the problem continues ;i would consult with your vet re this if the problem re occures

thanks for that, but sorry I should have said it started from a cut that had actually healed over and the infection was deep and then has spread to the gland. I have been telling her no when she goes to lick at it..

Try and keep the wound open so the gunk can drain out.

A soak in warm, salty water wouldn't hurt so help promote this.

Normally a scab tries to form on the surface which only hides the problem festering underneath.

My dog had an abscess on the face, had antibiotics, but then needed to have it opened up (minor surgical procedure).

Don't feel bad Missymoo, the anal glands can get very sore very quickly.

The tablets should help everything heal well. An elizabethan collar would be a great idea if she is licking the area a lot.

I would only consider anal gland removal as a last resort, there are some very important structures in the area (nerves and blood vessels) and it is difficult to keep the area sterile.

Once she is healed she will probably need to have her anal glands checked at least 3-4 times a year and you can increase fibre in the diet (eg some metamucil or psyllium powder) which some people find helpful.

I hope all goes well.

My family's first dog had this happen, it was awful but there were not many symptoms apart from his bottom looking a bit swollen (I mentioned it and my family accused me of being a hypochondriac!!).

It burst and pus ran down his bottom, it was awful. I think he probably had antibiotics and twice daily baths.