Barf Diet And New Puppie Owners

Russkie30

Hi all

My dogs are fed the Barf Diet and my girl is well, we are hoping to have pups early January. I am hoping the new puppie owners will continue to feed the pups Barf, I just don't want it to be daunting for the new puppie owners, would anyone have any suggestions or feeding regimes that I could put in there puppy books to make it more easier and a lot less confusing for them. Hope this make sense.

Sorry this is not an ansew but an added ? is there someone out there that could explain the barf diet to me iwas just going to add a post re this when i found your enquiry sorry to barge in on you but thought it may kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak 1 cheersI a,m not happy with commersiel dog foods & would really appreciate advie thanking you in anticipation

Hi all

My dogs are fed the Barf Diet and my girl is well, we are hoping to have pups early January. I am hoping the new puppie owners will continue to feed the pups Barf, I just don't want it to be daunting for the new puppie owners, would anyone have any suggestions or feeding regimes that I could put in there puppy books to make it more easier and a lot less confusing for them. Hope this make sense.

There is a Billinghurst book specifically for pup nutrition - could you purchase these and include it in the cost of buying the puppy? I haven't read this book so I can't comment on it, but I think the other two books can be a bit daunting because of all the decisions to be made. Maybe summarise the options?

Sorry this is not an ansew but an added ? is there someone out there that could explain the barf diet to me iwas just going to add a post re this when i found your enquiry sorry to barge in on you but thought it may kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak 1 cheersI a,m not happy with commersiel dog foods & would really appreciate advie thanking you in anticipation

There are lots of BARF threads here - just do a search for barf. BARF is an acronym for "Bones and Raw Food" or "Biologically Appropriate Raw Food". It is based on a diet of approximately 60% raw bones and attempts to mimic what our dogs' ancestors ate before the advent of commercial dog food. There are many health advantaqes of the BARF diet, but it does take a bit more effort and planning (or you could buy pre-prepared BARF patties). Dr Ian Billinghurst has written books on the subject. barf shop barf world

Good luck!

Edited by cazxxz

I have raised one litter on BARF and felt that I did the puppies a disservice. Not because I don’t think it is the best food for them but because 80% of puppy people will not feed it. It was a nightmare, most of them wanted to put the puppies straight on to dry and they wouldn’t eat it. Not great when they are just settling into their new homes. 1 decided to try it but didn’t do it properly and had nutritious issues. Nowadays I feed my puppies about 40% dry, give the puppy buyers all the relevant information and let them make their own choices know that whatever they decide my puppies will settle into it fine

I have raised one litter on BARF and felt that I did the puppies a disservice. Not because I don’t think it is the best food for them but because 80% of puppy people will not feed it. It was a nightmare, most of them wanted to put the puppies straight on to dry and they wouldn’t eat it. Not great when they are just settling into their new homes. 1 decided to try it but didn’t do it properly and had nutritious issues. Nowadays I feed my puppies about 40% dry, give the puppy buyers all the relevant information and let them make their own choices know that whatever they decide my puppies will settle into it fine

That is what i am worried about that they will get confused, so maybe I should give them an option of a good dry food. My dogs excel on the barf diet, i have no problems with coat or anything. But yeh I just want it as easy and simple as possible for the puppy buyers.

I am another who likes to feed raw but because puppy pet buyers dont want to go to the so called expense i also feed Pedigree rehydratable.

Puppy buyers then get to switch over to a kibble over time for there new baby and i get to switch mine over to how i normally feed.

As much as I hate to admit it, I also dont BARF feed all my litters, as the majority are going to non Barf type homes, realistically if i have a litter of 10 only a couple will be Barf fed, so why bother traumatising the majority of the litter having to switch......I just find it easier to switch my own pups I am running on rather than the other way round

If I have a small litter or know where the pups are going, I feed Barf, but otherwise I find it easier to wean my own onto barf rather than the pets switching to commercial........

I encourage alot of raw food with the commercial foods, and refer them to websites & books & to not hesitate to contact me if they have an interest is trying a raw diet in time etc, I get a few that do want to do it, and I get a few later in the dogs life that get back in touch about various issues or allergies, and they see for themselves how the diet fixes the problem then, I find you cant convert those who dont want to know about it themselves.........

I raise my pups on as much variety as I can. They are initially weaned on raw mince & vegies (from Big Dog Pet Foods). As they get older the raw mince & vegies is their primary diet (maybe breakfast & dinner), but I will give a variety for their lunch time meal: dry food, Nature's Gift canned food, Scotty's Premium meat rolls, rice & tuna, an omellete. Puppy goes home (if being picked up) with a sample of the raw mince and dry foods used. I send a detailed diet sheet, explaining how I feed my dogs and why, what brand's I would recommend if they must feed commercial. If puppies are going interstate, then I send the diet sheet a few days before to give the owners time to read it. One girl in Rockhampton wondered why her pup had diarrhea cos' her vet told her to feed weetbix & milk! After blasting her, it took me about 1 minute on google to find a raw dog food supplier in her city & right near where she worked. She was thrilled.

How about doing a meal plan for a couple of days. i.e Morning - chicken wing, lunch - mince & veggies, etc. When I had my litter I fed total BARF but did feed the pups some dry food as that is what all the new owners wanted to do. Whilst I am happy to tell people why I do something I never try and force it on them.

I do think the BARF diet has got complicated in general which wasn't the idea.

Thanks everyone for their tips. I think I will go with the barf/ and a commercial dry food. Give them the option and have everything explained in their puppy book, so they have that option if they wish to go down that track

Do you think the Nutro brand of dog food would be a good one to start them off. I have heard a lot of good reports, but since i don't feed my dogs on any dry food I'm not quite sure what is the best option to go.

Nutro isn't that easy to get hold of which might be off putting. I would just steer them into buying a premium brand rather than a supermarket brand. You could explain that it works out about the same price as you feed less and is much better for the dogs. You could even call some of the companies and get some samples for them.

Nutro isn't that easy to get hold of which might be off putting. I would just steer them into buying a premium brand rather than a supermarket brand. You could explain that it works out about the same price as you feed less and is much better for the dogs. You could even call some of the companies and get some samples for them.

Thanks Jules, I have a lady that donated some to our club that is a supplier of nutro and that's why I thought I would go that option, as she is just up the north of brisbane. I have friends that feed Advance as well, but not quite sure on that one either, but absolutely want to make it as easy as possible for the new puppy owners.

Everyone has their fav dry food. I feed Eagle Pack and Pro Plan. Just make sure the people know to add a bit of the kibble to some mince and not go straight to that sort of diet.

I used to just do Barf but now I do premium dry with Barf. Mainly so I don't have to bother with all the kelp, brewers yeast etc.