Tick Information

sheree_e4

+ 1 for checking daily! Our Westie is an absolute magnet for paralysis ticks - so much so hes developed a bit of immunity to them.

the other day while bathing him I found a paralysis tick on the outside corner of BOTH eyes . We check him daily.. but had missed these 2 little buggers. Hes already been in the vets once and had the anti-serum - luckily we caught it in time.

Please please check your pet all the time ! We live on the Sunshine Coast and they are so bad here at the moment

Dogs do NOT develop immunity to Paralysis ticks..... They are either immune or they are not....you were probably just lucky enough to get the tick off before the dog showed symptoms or was effected too badly.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, need a bit of advice please.

We found a tick above the eye of our boy cocker spaniel. We took him straight to the vet and they monitored him all day, found no signs of paralysis so we picked him up and brought him home that night.

Next day we get a follow up call and they ask the question, is he blinking in the eye it was found?...answer was no. His left eye is fine for blinking and closing ect, but his right eye lid doesn't move. His eyebrow "twitches" but it doesn't seem like he can close his eye.

The vet said that this is only minor and should pass. We recieved this advise on Wednesday, and again yesterday when I called. My main concern is that my poor boy is not sleeping at night because he can't shut his eye. I have watched him and sometimes he can lie on his right side so that its "squished" shut, but i'm not sure if he is actually sleeping. I would say not because he is yawning alot during the day.

Can anyone advise how long this "temporary paralysis" (thats what the vet called it) might last, or if there is anything I can do to stimulate the muscle into working again? I feel so sad for him, imagine living (3 days so far) with out being able to shut your eye!!!

Thanks,

Mark.

• 1 year later...

Hi all... Just wondering if any of you have tried any natural repellants or remedies for keeping ticks away.

My Hubby is a nutritionist and told me to look into Diatomaceous earth (food grade), has anyone used it?

I found these links to describe what it is...

http://www.dailypuppy.com/articles/homeopa...b9-3409a7caefd8

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

What do you all think?

I might give it a go when we get our new pup.

• 1 month later...

my poodle died from a tick never found one on him the vet didnt either but had symptoms we have alot of bandicoots even used tick prevention every two weeks we now have another poodle so extra careful very scary

I know how you feel. I lost Bo my kelpie to paralysis tick despite using frontline and taking her to the vet straight away. They treated her, said she wasnt too bad and to take her home. They said she would get worse before she got better. She got worse and never got better and died at the vet clinic during the night after we had taken her back in at 10pm. It broke my heart. We had alot of bandicoots around the house at night too. Now if I go to a tick area I use proban. Moving back to NZ soon NO CROCS, NO SNAKES, NO TICKS THAT KILL DOGS.

• 3 months later...

Just a reminder TICKS are ACTIVE NOW !! REMEMBER to put tick protection on your pets.

FRONTLINE PLUS / REGULAR - Every 2 weeks.

ADVANTIX - Every 2 weeks.

PROBAN - 1 tab per 10kg every second day.

FRONTLINE SPRAY - Every 3 weeks.

TICK COLLARS - Monthly , if your dog swims tick collars are useless.

REMEMBER NOTHING IS 100% effective check your pets daily.

• 5 weeks later...

Have any of you come up with a less expensive way to protect our kids?

What are your feelings about the tick collars?

Does anyone divide large dog doses of the spot ons between two or more dogs?

Anyone of the South side of Brisbane who wants to know where NOT to go to a vet please contact me.

GABLEHAUS

Have any of you come up with a less expensive way to protect our kids?

What are your feelings about the tick collars?

Does anyone divide large dog doses of the spot ons between two or more dogs?

Anyone of the South side of Brisbane who wants to know where NOT to go to a vet please contact me.

GABLEHAUS

Kiltix and Preventix collars are the most inexpensive way to go - also ensure pets such as rats, mice, possums and wandering cats are kept form the environment to minimalize bringing in eggs. Collars last well as long as they don't get wet, the more they get wet the faster they wear out.

Dividing spot ons is not recommended, if you're going to spend the money on spots on, ensure that it works and give the correct dose.

• 2 weeks later...

Some sad news. I work at a Veterinary clinic and we had a fellow come to see us recently. First up he came in with symptoms of paralysis on a Friday, after coming back from the coast (we're in Canberra - Canberra doesn't have ticks unless they hitch a ride from Syd or the coast and they will die over winter, can stay around somewhat in summer). The owners had spotted a tick on him and removed it, taken the dog straight to the vet. We treated him with anti-tick-venom (Not that ticks have venom?? But you get the gist) and saturated the guy in permoxin. Dog recovered well and went home. I answer the call from them the following Thursday, the dog is looking flat and weak in the hind legs again. The vet speaks directly with the owner and owner brings the dog back in. In the consult room the son finds a tick on the dog's neck! Dog is rushed out the back and we give another does of anti-venom. These figures are obviously not accurate but to give you an idea, about 1 in 100 dogs have an allergic (the immune system chucks a hissy fit at the foreign antibodies) reaction to anti-venom the first time it is given, the second time round the risk of an allergic reaction increases to about 10 in 100 dogs. The dog worsens and becomes completely paralytic, for the rest of Thurs we have to lubricate his eyes and move him about gently so he doesn't get sore, we also moisten his tongue so it doesn't get hard and thicken. He gets another does of a permoxin wash. Friday comes along and the dog has survived the night, but is not looking good. We give him oxygen to help his dropping oxygen levels in his blood. The dog is stablized, he can move his tongue again, we caught him swallowing a few times and once, just as I was leaving his ears shifted forwards. We put him on oxygen now all day to help him out. It's decided that the best action is to send him to the emergency vet who can monitor and keep the dog on oxygen all night. Away goes the dog, looking like his chances are now about 50/50.

Sadly I came into work this morning and looked over the reports from the emergency vet, the dog's heart had stopped-apparently with the nurse right by his side. They of course administered adrenalin and attempted to resuscitate him. The following note had that the owners agreed not to continue resuscitation. The dog died.

I spoke with the owner(and vet)who believe a rouge tick found it's way back onto the dog after the friday - despite the owners washing the dog's bedding etc. They had since thrown out all his bedding on the second attack.

The owner also said that they had been visiting the coast now twice a year EVERY year since they had the dog. They had found ticks on him before and removed them, but never had any paralysis problems.

To me, this was a stunning insight. You can take from this story whatever you like, but it is re-told as accurately as I can remember it. I wanted to share it with dog owners, because I myself had no idea how horrible tick paralysis was, how quickly it can set in but also - this case of one dog getting envenomed twice.

The vets here say that dogs develop a kind of immunity to ticks if they grow up in a tick environment - this might be a comment to highlight the susceptibility of a Canberra dog who would never meet a tick unless it went to the coast, rather than claim "all coastal dogs are immune". But for me this has been a real eye-opener on tick paralysis and this seeming "randomness" of susceptibility. I hope this story helps you some how, and you all have a safe tick-free summer.

Some sad news. I work at a Veterinary clinic and we had a fellow come to see us recently. First up he came in with symptoms of paralysis on a Friday, after coming back from the coast (we're in Canberra - Canberra doesn't have ticks unless they hitch a ride from Syd or the coast and they will die over winter, can stay around somewhat in summer). The owners had spotted a tick on him and removed it, taken the dog straight to the vet. We treated him with anti-tick-venom (Not that ticks have venom?? But you get the gist) and saturated the guy in permoxin. Dog recovered well and went home. I answer the call from them the following Thursday, the dog is looking flat and weak in the hind legs again. The vet speaks directly with the owner and owner brings the dog back in. In the consult room the son finds a tick on the dog's neck! Dog is rushed out the back and we give another does of anti-venom. These figures are obviously not accurate but to give you an idea, about 1 in 100 dogs have an allergic (the immune system chucks a hissy fit at the foreign antibodies) reaction to anti-venom the first time it is given, the second time round the risk of an allergic reaction increases to about 10 in 100 dogs. The dog worsens and becomes completely paralytic, for the rest of Thurs we have to lubricate his eyes and move him about gently so he doesn't get sore, we also moisten his tongue so it doesn't get hard and thicken. He gets another does of a permoxin wash. Friday comes along and the dog has survived the night, but is not looking good. We give him oxygen to help his dropping oxygen levels in his blood. The dog is stablized, he can move his tongue again, we caught him swallowing a few times and once, just as I was leaving his ears shifted forwards. We put him on oxygen now all day to help him out. It's decided that the best action is to send him to the emergency vet who can monitor and keep the dog on oxygen all night. Away goes the dog, looking like his chances are now about 50/50.

Sadly I came into work this morning and looked over the reports from the emergency vet, the dog's heart had stopped-apparently with the nurse right by his side. They of course administered adrenalin and attempted to resuscitate him. The following note had that the owners agreed not to continue resuscitation. The dog died.

I spoke with the owner(and vet)who believe a rouge tick found it's way back onto the dog after the friday - despite the owners washing the dog's bedding etc. They had since thrown out all his bedding on the second attack.

The owner also said that they had been visiting the coast now twice a year EVERY year since they had the dog. They had found ticks on him before and removed them, but never had any paralysis problems.

That's really sad :(

• 4 months later...

Hi guys we are going camping for easter in an area where bush ticks are Lavuka national park NSW , what would be a good prevention for bush ticks? I have tried to search if paralysis ticks are present but nothing came up so I am hoping we will only have bush ticks if anything.. I was thinking one of the 2 week ones as it will be easy to have before we go but would they be as effective in a tick area as the every second day one?

Thanks in advance :-)

PS we are not camping in the national park but near it :-)

Hi guys we are going camping for easter in an area where bush ticks are Lavuka national park NSW , what would be a good prevention for bush ticks? I have tried to search if paralysis ticks are present but nothing came up so I am hoping we will only have bush ticks if anything.. I was thinking one of the 2 week ones as it will be easy to have before we go but would they be as effective in a tick area as the every second day one?

Advantix gives you 1 month cover for bush ticks.

For paralysis ticks you would reapply fortnightly. It also kills and repels all biting insects flies mozzies sandflies ect and is the only treatment that kills parasites on contact without the need for the parasite to bite to get a dose. 100% effective for everything except paralysis ticks being 98% effective. Enjoy your holiday with peace of mind. Apply preferably 48 hours prior to your departure.

Thank you so much nowstarin, we cannot wait to go and very happy that we will be prepared for ticks.. I'm getting him stripped before we go so he won't be slow fluffly and easier to check throughout each day :-)

Advantix gives you 1 month cover for bush ticks.

For paralysis ticks you would reapply fortnightly. It also kills and repels all biting insects flies mozzies sandflies ect and is the only treatment that kills parasites on contact without the need for the parasite to bite to get a dose. 100% effective for everything except paralysis ticks being 98% effective. Enjoy your holiday with peace of mind. Apply preferably 48 hours prior to your departure.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What I dont get is why and how people think its not going to happen to their pets in tick season (and this year is particularly bad). I was not tick aware over 12 months ago when I was living in paralysis tick country. I was using a tick collar. The first one I used was the Kiltix brand and had no issues, but I changed to another brand and my dog got a tick. My morning routine was to let her out and watch her run around the yard. That morning when I let her out she slowly went down the stairs (very wobbly) and after she did her business she came back up and sat, she would not go back down the stairs. I knew something was wrong and called work and let them know I would be late. I put her in the car and took her straight to the vets. I explained to them I thought she had a paralysis tick and they took her- then I went off to work. They called me later to tell me they had found a tick, what they had done and that I could visit her that afternoon.

Needless to say I was freaked. The idea of her getting another one scared me so much I had her in the house and was treating her weekly with permoxin and had a kiltix collar. She was thankfully safe with that and the daily checking. I have since moved from the dreaded paralysis tick area and do not have to worry about the problems and issues.

However my Mum still lived there and she has a pomeranian. I left some frontline plus spray and the permoxin there for her to use. However she wont use permoxin on him as he is a mostly inside dog and it smells. And she obviously was not keeping the frontline plus spray up to him. He got a paralysis tick. And was very sick. Breathing problems, etc. He survived. But now the vet bill is so much she cannot pay it up front. I understand the vet not wanting to offer credit and let her pay it off, because she does not attend a vet regularly. Why do people own dogs if they cannot, or are not prepared to pay. Or do not take precautions, or dont have pet insurance!

• 4 weeks later...

Next week we are holidaying in a known paralysis tick area. I will be checking my dog daily for ticks and have been researching for the best preventative to use but I'm totally confused and need advice :confused:

I realise that none of the products are 100% effective against ticks, but would like to know if there is a spot-on or collar that will help repel ticks on a dog who will be swimming every day?

Next week we are holidaying in a known paralysis tick area. I will be checking my dog daily for ticks and have been researching for the best preventative to use but I'm totally confused and need advice :confused:

I realise that none of the products are 100% effective against ticks, but would like to know if there is a spot-on or collar that will help repel ticks on a dog who will be swimming every day?

The only tick Preventative that is registered for repellency is Advantix. Applied fortnighty. It has a 98% efficacy for Ticks, and 100% for fleas ect. It kills and repels all Ticks (incl. Paralysis) fleas, flies, mosquitos, stable horse flies, midge flies ect. Apply to a dry coat and do not bath or swim for 24 hours after application. After this time it is perfectly fine to swim your dog. Daily checking for ticks is still required. Enjoy your holidays.

• 9 months later...

TICKS ARE OUT IN FORCE ALREADY !! Please make sure your pets are treated with a tick product and checked daily :thumbsup:

FRONTLINE SPRAY - Every 3 weeks

FRONTLINE TOP SPOT - Every 2 weeks

ADVANTIX TOP SPOT - Every 2 weeks

SCALIBOR COLLAR - Every 3 mths (can be used from 8weeks old)works the same way as a top spot - NO SMELL - takes 2 weeks to build up on

coat when first applied.

KILTIX COLLAR - Every 6 weeks

PREVENTIC COLLAR - Every 2 months