Worming

Guest Pandii

I have been looking at drontal, might be the go, is it better to treat worms then fleas or get a product that does both

Will have to do the kids too

Drontal only treats worms. All intestinal worms.

Other wormers only do intestinal worms but not all tape worms.

Advantage, Frontline Plus and a few other products do both such as revolution. But I do not know if they treat all worms. Some of those 'all in ones" do not do hydatids (tapeworms) so you need to get a tapewormer for those.

capstar tablets kill adult fleas that are currently on the dog (it will start to work within 24 hours). That should be followed up with advantage, or frontline plus

Pands, if you use the all in one flea/worm/heartorm you still MUST use an all wormer that covers hydatid tapeworms every 3 months.

None of the all in ones cover tape worm too.

If you need to do it now you can get a few from the vet or supermarket. I haev used the ones in a white and red pack- St Bernards? maybe.

Do the dogs and all the humans then repeat the dogs in a month.

The pup in 2 weeks a nd then repeat every 3 weeks until 3 months old them monthly till 6 months then on to 3 monthly.

When you do the 6 month treatment do teh humans again too. This is what we do at our place and are worm free.

Cats included

Kristie I wil reread your reply in the morning, I have been sitting here to long and my eyes hurt and my brain is not working

I must get the wormer that does all the worms, as our dogs eat game meat and I am not taking chances.

What product do you use Kriste for the kids and dogs to cover fleas and worms

Pandii,

I use Advantix (covers fleas & Ticks) or Advantage for fleas only and either Drontal or Paratak plus for all worms. I found frontline does not seem to do the job.. However I know others who sware by Frontline Plus and hate Advantage/Advantix. They are both roughly the same price.

Paratak plus is slightly cheaper than drontal. But if you have a worm burden, then I would suggest using drontal.

There is another product that can be used on dogs called Panacur. It is originally used for livestock, but is ok for dogs. It will do all.. It is in a liquid form and you have to dose 3 days in a row. You also have to slightly add a bit more for the spit out factor.

Kristie I wil reread your reply in the morning, I have been sitting here to long and my eyes hurt and my brain is not working

I must get the wormer that does all the worms, as our dogs eat game meat and I am not taking chances.

What product do you use Kriste for the kids and dogs to cover fleas and worms

Humans get Combantrim - you can get 2 types. The 2nd type covers extra worms.

Dogs get Drontal and cats get um, supermarket stuff. Whichever is on special - they dont seem to get worms as they get dry adn wet foods, not much raw - if they do it is human grade and the dogs are done.

THe dog worms tabs wew get are called Droncit - they come with the Advantage/Advocate

None of the all in ones cover tape worm too.

Thought Sentinel was different because it did cover all types? It says it does tapeworm?

I was referring to the liquid all in ones, i am not sure about Sentinal.

From Aussiepet.com.au

SENTINEL Spectrum® Flavour Tabs are the only monthly tablets that protect against six of the common internal and external parasites that threaten your dog. Just one convenient, flavoured tablet will protect your pet against heartworm and fleas, as well as roundworm, hookworm, whipworm and tapeworm.

ADMINISTRATION: Administer one SENTINEL Spectrum® Flavour Tab at the same time each month (for the appropriate weight range) WITH A FULL MEAL.

SAFETY: If your dog has not been on heartworm prevention before, please see your veterinarian before using this product. Use only as per label directions.

I will have to check further.. I am sure it is in a printed catelogue here somewhere.. Those that cover hydatids.. generally say this... I think Sentinal covers some tapeworms, not all

Sentinal Spectrum

Drontal All wormer (including Hydatid Tapeworm)

This is where it gets confusing.... Sentinal does mention Tapeworm, but does not mention Hydatid. The drontal all wormer mentions tapeworm (including hydatid)

Edited by Mystiqview

If you're looking for the CHEAPEST wormer at the Vets, I'd go with Milbemax. A tablet for dog 5-25kg is $8.25 or so? 2 tabs for 25-50kg, and 3 tabs for 50-75kg's. It covers all types of worms, and heartworm also if given monthly.

Dogs up to 5KG costs $3.50/tab.

MUCH cheaper than Interceptor which does the same job!

Much cheaper than drontal also if you're just looking for an all-wormer (every 3 months).

-WithEverythingIAm