Doggrooma - In Here!

Hi rocio,

Yep my girl westie's coat is quite curly as well - but I just keep her clipped and don't worry about it - but I don't show either!. :eek:

So if you want to hand strip I suggest you pm Westielover - she's in Sydney and might be able to suggest someone for you - alternatively does your breeder know anyone? Otherwise ring around the groomers in the yellow pages...

Cheers,

Westiemum

I hope you can help me with the following. I have a one year old female westie. I noticed that her hair was getting really curly which is not a good look for a westie and when I asked the breeder who I got Lulu from she recommended to get Lulus hair hand stripped instead of clipped. Do you know someone who does it here in Sydney? I live in North Bondi and can not find anyone who does it.

Thanks a lot

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This product is so expensive!

Ill love to try it. I think my dog has mild skin itchiness but dont want to waste my money on such an expensive product in case it doesnt work.

I noticed theres a regular grade and vet grade. Which one is everyone using?

And anyone know how much postage is for 500ml?

i hardly call Groomers that expensive.

If you are so concerned about the price think about what you pay for any of the ones your vet pushes.

Give Lynda and Archie a ring they will be happy to talk about what is most appropriate for your needs. They are extremely approachable and no nonsense in regards to the information they provide.

I am sure they would be able to also provide you with a cost for postage to Sydney with little fuss too.

Hi Happie,

I agree with Wylie actually - I think the EPO (which I use ) is incredibly cost effective, particularly the bigger quantities which last forever (if your friends can keep their hands off it!! :offtopic: ) compared to, say, a litre of Malaseb or even the Aloveen I used to use, good products though they are: Here are some comparison prices off the net tonight to keep the playing field level - add at least 10% - 15% for most vets (understandably - and usually more).

Malaseb 250ml 22.00

Malaseb 500 ml 38.00

Malaseb 1 litre 60.00

Aloveen 500 ml 24.00

Aloveen 250ml 16.00

EPO reg 500ml 28.00 or 14.00 for 250ml

EPO reg 2.5 litre 51.50 $10.30 for 500ml or a tad over 5 bucks for 250mls.

And even the 2.5 litre vet grade EPO at 74.50 I think is still very cost effective IMO @ 14.90 /500mls or 7.45 for a cupful!.

So as Wylie suggests, would be a good idea to have a chat with Lynda and Archie and see what they suggest - and stretch to the larger quantity to get excellent cost-effectiveness IMO.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Westiemum :wave:

Ill love to try it. I think my dog has mild skin itchiness but dont want to waste my money on such an expensive product in case it doesnt work.

Hi Happie,

I agree with Wylie actually - I think the EPO (which I use ) is incredibly cost effective, particularly the bigger quantities which last forever (if your friends can keep their hands off it!! :wave: ) compared to, say, a litre of Malaseb or even the Aloveen I used to use, good products though they are: Here are some comparison prices off the net tonight to keep the playing field level - add at least 10% - 15% for most vets (understandably - and usually more).

Malaseb 250ml 22.00

Malaseb 500 ml 38.00

Malaseb 1 litre 60.00

Aloveen 500 ml 24.00

Aloveen 250ml 16.00

EPO reg 500ml 28.00 or 14.00 for 250ml

EPO reg 2.5 litre 51.50 $10.30 for 500ml or a tad over 5 bucks for 250mls.

And even the 2.5 litre vet grade EPO at 74.50 I think is still very cost effective IMO @ 14.90 /500mls or 7.45 for a cupful!.

So as Wylie suggests, would be a good idea to have a chat with Lynda and Archie and see what they suggest - and stretch to the larger quantity to get excellent cost-effectiveness IMO.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Westiemum :laugh:

I dont think their prices are expensive at all, Ive just reordered from them again. No way would I go back to any other products, Alys coat is in great condition now and so is her skin.

:offtopic:

Hi Happie,

The vet grade is more EPO concentrated. I use the vet grade 'cos its what I've been using since December last year - and when I'm on a good thing I stick to it!

I don't know what the regular grade is like or what its used for as I don't use it - I'd ring Lynda and Archie and discuss it with them - will be the most useful call you can make.

I've just made another order - and although I had to wait for new stock to come in, I've had my usual excellent service from these guys - two phone calls to get the order just right and let me know what was going on - I simply can't fault them - they're great. In fact I I'm happy to pay for this level of service anyway - its so rare these days.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Westiemum :laugh: .

So is there much difference between the regular grade and the vet grade shampoo? Which one is everyone using?
Edited by westiemum

I am not flushed with money only on the pension but the DIFFERENCE in my dog ,my hubby said "I don't care what it cost ,just look at her " look at her indeed wow! started on EPO as told now on royal jelly and her coat HAS grown it soft shiny and NO itchies . Fantastic I have my other dog on it too ----thanks to all for site , cheers Glorybea

My dog has been on almost two weeks of cortizon tablets and shes still itching sometimes (although less than before!) so Ill give this a try and hope it works!

How often do you guys wash your dogs with the EPO?

Hi Happie

To start with EPO shampoo you need to be double washing twice a week until you get things under control. Then you can go to washing once a week.

It is not full of salt so is extremely gentle on dogs skin so therefore the ability to wash frequently.

Good luck cortisione is not nice for any of our dogs to be on

Woohoo just ordered my 5l Vet EPO and 1l EPO Food SUpplement, should be here next week yay! At least I shouldnt run out too soon now lol. I will have nice clean smelling non itchy doggies now, not that they are itching now but they look so good especially the BC, Im excited, sad really isnt it lol

Hi catsmother,

Hey not at all! My new 2.5 litre EPO shampoo arrived earlier in the week and it was like Christmas! And I love the thought that its one less thing I have to worry about for ages and ages! And great smelling, non-itchy doggies Yay!

Cheers,

Westiemum :D

Woohoo just ordered my 5l Vet EPO and 1l EPO Food SUpplement, should be here next week yay! At least I shouldnt run out too soon now lol. I will have nice clean smelling non itchy doggies now, not that they are itching now but they look so good especially the BC, Im excited, sad really isnt it lol

I bought the 2.5L bottle of EPO shampoo. Im going to do the first wash for my dog tomorrow!

Any tips on washing and blowdrying the head area? I have particular problems blowdrying in particular. But my dog scratches around the ears so I want the shampoo to work there too.

Congrats Happie

In regards to washing ears just make sure you lather the EPO well in and around her ears and leave it in for 5 mins then while that is in give her a really good body massage and the occassional ear rub. Rinse and then repeat.

Most dogs adore having a good all over massage and will quite happily sit or stand there while it is going on.

In regards to drying start off at a low temp and low speed and go gently gently. The occassional treat for behaving nicely or another old trick is to put some peanut butter at head height and let them lick while you play with the dryer on them.

Good luck and hope pup gives you lots of licks

• 4 months later...

Just reviving this thread to show the progress that gorgeous foster westie, Eddie, who we had earlier in the year, has made. I've posted some photos in rescue general discussion but knowing many people don't go there I thought I would post them here too.

You might remember the boy had a terrible coat - really thin, no undercoat, like straw and bare in patches. He also had a red raw infected bottom and was underweight among other things... He completed a course of EPO food supplement and was shampooed intensively with EPO vet grade shampoo.

Here he is a few days after we got him back in December last year... note the texture and colour of coat...

post-11746-1222683017_thumb.jpg

And here is at the groomers on Saturday after his bath and bow-dry and before his clip - and yes his coat is as think soft and shiny as it looks... sorry the photo isn't marvellous - he was really wriggly - but it gives you a good idea of his fabulous coat... his groomer is absolutley gob-smacked and thinks the difference in his coat since December when she first started clipping him is amazing

post-11746-1222683726_thumb.jpg

I have no doubt a great diet and lots of TLC from his wonderful new parents have helped too - but I'm sure the EPO shampoo has played a big part as well.

Cheers,

Westiemum :thumbsup:

Ed to correct typos and add that the second photo was taken and both photos posted with the kind permission of his wonderful new Mum.

Edited by westiemum

Just reviving this thread to show the progress that gorgeous foster westie, Eddie, we had earlier in the year. I've posted some photos in rescue general discussion but knowing many people don't go there I thought I would post them here too.

You might remember the boy had a terrible coat - really thin, no undercoat, like straw and bare in patches. He also had a red raw infected bottom and was underweight among other things... He completed a course of EPO food supplement and was shampooed intensively with EPO vet grade shampoo.

Here he is a few days after we got him back in December last year... note the texture and colour of coat...

post-11746-1222683017_thumb.jpg

And here is at the groomers on Saturday after his bath and bow-dry and before his clip - and yes his coat is as think soft and shiny as it looks... sorry the photo isn't marvellous - he was really wriggly - but it gives you a good idea of his fabulous coat... his groomer is absolutley gob-smacked and thinks the difference in his coat since December when she first started clipping him is amazing

post-11746-1222683726_thumb.jpg

I have no doubt a great diet and lots of TLC from his wonderful new parents have helped too - but I'm sure the EPO shampoo has played a big part as well.

Cheers,

Westiemum :rofl:

Ed to correct typos and add that the second photo was taken and both photos posted with the kind permission of his wonderful new Mum.

wow he looks awesome :laugh:

Is he still on EPO supplement and shampoo?

What diet is he on?