Doggrooma - In Here!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, we have had to give up with the shampoo (Vet grade EPO). Chelsea's skin got a lot itchier and she came out in lots of crusty itchy spots (typical of her malassezia). Last night was the final straw. When I looked at her back she had scratched a small section raw with her back foot. First time she has ever done this. Each time I used the shampoo (admittedly only twice) she was noticeably itchier and chewed her feet constantly. I had been applying according to instructions and blowdrying.

Horses for courses I guess, but neither of us slept a wink last night for her chewing. She was under reasonable control on the malaseb which we had reduced to once a week, so she'll go back on that.

I've been reading this thread with interest. My parents' Labradors had malasezzia, which went undiagnosed for many years, despite many vets consultations, shampoos, diet trials etc. Once it was finally diagnosed, they were advised by the vet to use Malaseb (in conjunction with courses of Nizoral tablets) , but found it not particularly effective. They were changed to Sebazole shampoo, which was way more effective. Just wondering if others with malasezzia problems were aware of this option, as I haven't seen it mentioned.

Be real careful with the heat of the dryer - try it on your hand at the same time. It can be a lot hotter on the skin than you think. I would have thought the low setting and still check for overheating on the skin.

Unfortunately, we have had to give up with the shampoo (Vet grade EPO). Chelsea's skin got a lot itchier and she came out in lots of crusty itchy spots (typical of her malassezia). Last night was the final straw. When I looked at her back she had scratched a small section raw with her back foot. First time she has ever done this. Each time I used the shampoo (admittedly only twice) she was noticeably itchier and chewed her feet constantly. I had been applying according to instructions and blowdrying.

Horses for courses I guess, but neither of us slept a wink last night for her chewing. She was under reasonable control on the malaseb which we had reduced to once a week, so she'll go back on that. Still on her megaderm oil supplements...

Good luck to everyone else! I am so glad it has helped. Nothing worse than an itchy unhappy dog.

Sounds like Chelsea needs some cortisone tablets in the short term. Have you tried Phisohex on her?

After 2 malaseb baths, she seems to be back on track - just a couple of minor itchy spots and a bit of foot chewing.

I will take the suggestions of sebazole and phisohex and keep them for next time. She really is a lot better so doesn't need cortisone. I am trying to avoid if poss but wouldn't hesitate if she got worse. my vet has said there are other things I can try but as she seems more or less under control i didn't want to put her on other med.s (with possible side effects as yet). Thank you Gallomph and Puggy Puggy for your kind thoughts on Chelsea's behalf and sorry about the semi-hijack everyone else!

Disappointing the labs weren't diagnosed earlier - there is a distinct 'smell' according to my vet who spotted it straight away and the sticky tape test takes about a minute...

No Probs GM - its all really good discussion. Unfortunately there isn't a one-size fits all solution for the itches (boy I wishe there was!) - so its important to discuss everything that seems to work so people can decide for themselves.

Good luck with Chelsea - glad to hear she's much better.

Cheers,

Westiemum :o

Quick update: we are now on once a week schedule as they stopped itching almost totally and there are no more itchy areas on their skin!!!! They are still on the supplement and we are going to continue with that.

I am sooooooooooo happy :love:

OK I have bathed Zedders once with the Vet Grade EPO (as told by Lynda) then I have done him every three days or so with the normal grade EPO (he also has EPO drops in his food) His skin is really lumpy (where he has scratched himself). Does it take time for the EPO to settle things down :thumbsup: Not sure if I should go back and try Aveeno (he is allergic to Malaseb and a few others do not work either).

Well what a fantastic post I found,

I have enjoyed reading everyones posts in here :rofl: from what I see 99% relief for the doggys. Im going to be ordering some of this shampoo for Aly, fingers crossed they help her skin, poor thing last night hardly slept me either from her itchys :thumbsup: ,she has some antihistimes vet gave me this morning and some cream for her tummy.... cant wait!!!!!!

HI Loraine

Yes it will probably take a few washes for Zedley to get some of those lumpies back down.

Every dog is different remember.

Just keep it up and make sure you have blow dried Zedley to push the EPO into the shaft of his coat hair. The EPO he is getting in his food will be assisting to help his system to cope better with time.

Disappointing the labs weren't diagnosed earlier - there is a distinct 'smell' according to my vet who spotted it straight away and the sticky tape test takes about a minute...

Yes, it was unbelievable that they weren't diagnosed sooner. I came home from overseas to visit Mum & Dad, and was a bit horrified at the state of the dogs. Dad pulled out a inch thick file with all the tests, vet bills, diet instructions etc from the past 8 years or so. These were from 3 different vets! But the mousey smell really hit me, so I did an internet search and came up with Malasezzia. We printed out the info, went off to the vet with it and the dogs the next day, and asked if it was a possibility. The vet did the skin sample, and later that week we had the diagnosis. So why hadn't it occurred to one of the vets sooner??? It was so well established in the dogs that although we got some control and made the dogs far more comfortable, we never got rid of it completely.

Anyway, glad to hear that Chelsea is more comfortable again.

Ive ordered Aly the Evening Primrose Oil Shampoo and the spray to make her smell pretty.

What a wonderful helpful man Archie is,,,, package will be in tomorrow post.....

Cant wait!!!! :laugh:

HI Loraine

Yes it will probably take a few washes for Zedley to get some of those lumpies back down.

Every dog is different remember.

Just keep it up and make sure you have blow dried Zedley to push the EPO into the shaft of his coat hair. The EPO he is getting in his food will be assisting to help his system to cope better with time.

Thanks Wylie, I will persist with the EPO. His skin had become 'clear' and is now burbling again :laugh: 21. I do blow him dry - guess patience is the watchword here :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Haven't been around for a few weeks... just wondering if anyone knows if Lynda and Archie have stock in? I see they were very low a little while ago. Will need to place an order for some EPO shampoo shortly... going through it at a rate of knots with everyone in the family using it! :rofl::love: :p

Cheers,

Westiemum :love:

Hi Everyone,

Haven't been around for a few weeks... just wondering if anyone knows if Lynda and Archie have stock in? I see they were very low a little while ago. Will need to place an order for some EPO shampoo shortly... going through it at a rate of knots with everyone in the family using it! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers,

Westiemum :rofl:

Hi Westiemum,

I received my first lot on Wednesday, wow! Alys coat is so shiny and soft :) ,,, cant wait to see how she goes after a few more baths, so yes to your answer they have stock! :cheers:

Hi Aly,

Thanks for that - and yes my hair is the sofest and shiniest its been in years too!! :cheers::rofl: :rofl:

Cheers

Westiemum :rofl:

:rofl: I havent tryed it on my hair.

But the skin on my hands was beautiful and soft :)

Hi Again Aly,

Seriously - its the nicest shampoo I've used in years - and much cheaper than than the salon stuff I'd been using for years - I just think of it as a herbal shampoo which i use for me and my beloveds! :rofl: And if it works well for your hands...

Cheers,

Westiemum :)

Hi Aly,

Thanks for that - and yes my hair is the sofest and shiniest its been in years too!! :cheers::rofl: :rofl:

Cheers

Westiemum :laugh:

:rofl: I havent tryed it on my hair.

But the skin on my hands was beautiful and soft :laugh:

Hi all I have been fighting the rashes ,itchies ,hair loss ,changing diets you name it everything I think has helped in some way but still the itchies but came across your list and the excitement from all of you was coming through loud and clear sooo I went on to website then rang and spoke to Archie[ Weds] as you say he was wonderful and promised it by Fri day and I found it in the letterbox at 7-30 tonight and she was bathed by 8-30 -- her coat came out silky&shiny she has been scratching non stop since last Thursday .So I will let you know ,

THANKS HEAPS for your list of comments because if you read this anywhere else you would think it was a commercial ,but when dog people get together on products it is the best because it is honest ,thanks again Glorybea