Feisty Puppys

Hi'a

I am relatively new to grooming and although i am getting quite good at dog handling i just wandered if any of you more experienced groomers have any suggestions on how to handle a young pup that needs its first clip.

I seem to be getting quite a few first timers recently some are great and take it all in there stride but some are absolute monsters and growl, hiss, try to bite and struggle as soon as you pick up the scissors or clippers.

I did a 15 week old shih x maltese the other day who was a absolute horror i got a really lovely cuddle from him before i started but as soon as i picked up the scissors he changed to the pup from hell.

Any suggestions on how do you handle a dog like this and still manage to give them a positive experience would be great.

Hi'a

I am relatively new to grooming and although i am getting quite good at dog handling i just wandered if any of you more experienced groomers have any suggestions on how to handle a young pup that needs its first clip.

I seem to be getting quite a few first timers recently some are great and take it all in there stride but some are absolute monsters and growl, hiss, try to bite and struggle as soon as you pick up the scissors or clippers.

I did a 15 week old shih x maltese the other day who was a absolute horror i got a really lovely cuddle from him before i started but as soon as i picked up the scissors he changed to the pup from hell.

Any suggestions on how do you handle a dog like this and still manage to give them a positive experience would be great.

tough question i just sort of play it by ear if a pup growls at me i growl back if the dog fidgets i stop everything and wait for it to calm back down i never give up on puppys the trick is patience and persistance

the best thing u can do for the pup is tell the owners about how reguarly they need to be grooming there dog to get it used to noises and being handled!!!!

Knowing dog psychology helps, they all speak the same language LOL

I find them very predictable, and can read what they will do before they know they will do it , it is all intuition, and being able to read them. If the owners are scatter brains, their pups will be too LOL

If you have difficulty, you have to decide what you will do about it, as you can not end when the pup tells you it is over, you have to end so that the pup thinks it is your idea, and you are in control etc....

I rarely put clippers on their face until I know I can trust that I am going to be able to get the job done on my terms, I wont put us in the position of not being able to finish the task, and the pup winning, always put yourself in the position of not being able to fail!..........If they win you have instantly made it doubly hard the next time you have to do the dog.....I am good with scissors so it is no drama to me to scissor the entire face, sometimes poodle babies may start with teddy bear heads if I think there is a chance I wont win, teh poodle face can wait for another day, as it is more important to win & finish on your terms in a very positive experience.

I do hate getting pups that have been groomed elsewhere initially, as they are 99% of the time ruined, and it takes me a lot longer to get the dog doing what I expect it too. I do prefer to get them as babies no doubt about it.....

I start with the clippers turned off & rub it over the body , up & down the legs, face etc, telling it how good it is in a positive tone, then when it plays up it hears my serious tone of Baaaahhhh.........which always gets them to stop what they are doing, any growl sound is what you need to be able to do , and firm hands yet not rough or pinning the dog down or anything to make it fight you.......It is hard to describe how to handle dogs as it is something that comes natural to you I find.

couldnt have said ti better Cavandra.

Dont let the little snots win!!! :thumbsup:

Angie I had one today... 6 months... groomed once before and was a screamer!!!!!! I started worrying someone on the street would think i was killing it. Touch leg with clippers scream and bite touch front feet same thing... I just held him till he stopped screaming and kept going by the end he was quiet and relaxed... cant aiw to see if he pulls this again next time LOL!

:thumbsup:

Ok Ive been grooming for quite afew years now, Why would you guys be clipping babies in the first place??

I refuse to "clip" before 12 months of age, give or take because as I was always taught and others in the industry I have spoken to all agree if you cut puppy coat it can cause irreversable damage. I have had quite a few that others have done too early and their coats have turned to crap. Even my vet warns people with little fluffies. Tidy ups yeah of course face, feet, bum, groomouts etc. But never clip unless its beyond a joke with matting and is a health issue or something.

Sorry I am missing something here?? I dont see how standards can be so varied for experienced groomers.. :thumbsup:

Lordy me, imagine a poodle after a year of no clipping?

I think you are better to start early than to have to deal with a 12 month old who has NO experience with being groomed and clipped.

I have never seen a coat turned to crap by starting hair cuts early.

i have to agree with rysup

doggrooma

But never clip unless its beyond a joke with matting and is a health issue or something.

unfortunatly for most people who buy swf this point comes at about 6 months give or take a month or two...

why? because most who buy them buy them on impluse and will never put a brush near the poor little thing!!!

90% of the dogs i have come into my trailor are mutts swf crossbreeds designer dogs what ever u want to call them...and becuase they are some random cross their coat is usually shit anyway so i cant see how u can cause too much damage to their coat!!!!

All puppies I groom are well accustom to the process by 12 months through regular visits.

Even some new customers only ring at around 12 mo of age because they were told elsewhere it shouldnt be done.

12 months of 'Cared for coat' isnt that bad.

Have none of you been taught this way??, honestly im not the only person with this veiw, but apparently on this forum I may be ??

All puppies I groom are well accustom to the process by 12 months through regular visits.

Even some new customers only ring at around 12 mo of age because they were told elsewhere it shouldnt be done.

12 months of 'Cared for coat' isnt that bad.

Have none of you been taught this way??, honestly im not the only person with this veiw, but apparently on this forum I may be ??

i wish i got more customers who actually cared for their dogs coat but they dont generally people are bloody lazy!!!

Ok Ive been grooming for quite afew years now, Why would you guys be clipping babies in the first place??

I refuse to "clip" before 12 months of age, give or take because as I was always taught and others in the industry I have spoken to all agree if you cut puppy coat it can cause irreversable damage. I have had quite a few that others have done too early and their coats have turned to crap. Even my vet warns people with little fluffies. Tidy ups yeah of course face, feet, bum, groomouts etc. But never clip unless its beyond a joke with matting and is a health issue or something.

Sorry I am missing something here?? I dont see how standards can be so varied for experienced groomers.. :thumbsup:

the last dog that was 12 months old before a clip bit my hand open because it had never been to a salon before. Some had told them not to get its clipped before that age so theynever took it anywhere till it was 12 months so it was terrorfied. We recomend 6 months because at that age there is more adult coat and looks better. we have over a douzen i can think of that had their first clip at 14 weeks and their coats are beautiful. In summer i get alot more people with puppies younger getting them clipped because they dont cope with heat and stripping isnt sufficent. All owners are happy after never had a complaint. On the poodle thing I had a mini pup that the owner had for 6 months and never got it trimmed! Black dog beautiful coat but it look like a little swamp thing. took 3 and a half hours to grrom cause it had not had its face or anything done before this and she wanted traditional face, feet and tail and a puppy trim. the dog was nearly 8 months old and hadnt been clippered since it left the breeders.

My was of looking at puppies is that I can look after them well so Im not going to turn them away to another salon that could spoil them with a bad experience or shave the pup off. I use clip on combs and all sorts to keep a little length but ultimately I do it cause if i dont someone else will and will butcher it up!

Dogs that have come to me with crappy coats, one little shih tzu x in particular ALL have been skun by other groomers around the 5- 6 month mark. IMO its too early, they sill have puppy coat not to mention they were done with 10#. I guess if you are using comb attatchments though its not that bad as your only taking a little length off the coat. I dont use comb att. I dont usually find a need. Maybe I should look into getting some newies.

9 Times out of 10 First time clips I dont have a problem with, you get the odd freaked out one, but a calm firm approach gets you through. And next time they know whats going to happen and are better.

Up untill now this is how I have operated, never get complaints and have a regular client base I almost cant handle, people have always been appreciative of how I groom their babies, for myself and the clients scissoring until I feel the coat is ready has always suficed.

I dont think I would change my opinion greatly, but I may consider starting a little younger with att. combs if others are finding no probs.

I try not to clip a pup before 7 months. I encourage the pup owner when they first call to enquire about clipping to bring the dog in for a general bath and tidy a couple of times before the clip. More often that not the first time pup comes in the owner has done a wonderful job of keeping it tangle free - they must lose interest after that as by the time they are around 6-12months the dog is an awful mess and needs to come off with a 7 (with difficulty in some areas, trying not to use a 10). Owners then get a shock at seeing non fluffy dog and swear they'll bring pup in more regularly. This rarely happens and dog is then doomed to #7 clips as owners decide they like it taken back so short after all. I find it a bit sad as they dont get to see how truly cute a fluffy can look groomed with coat still on. I'm at the point now where I almost cant fit in new clients so I may just say no dogs under 12months unless people are prepared to commit to have them bathed/brushed by me at least every 8weeks before first clip off.

I dont think I would change my opinion greatly, but I may consider starting a little younger with att. combs if others are finding no probs.

I will scissor a little off, over using a blade or attachment for a pup. I guess it depends on the owners area as I get full clips off all year round here due to ticks and majority of my clients are on acreage - so I guess one could say what does it matter that you clip puppy coats as coat is never going to be allowed to grow anyway and will always be clipped short, but I still prefer to wait til they're older.

I really don't see the problem with trimming pups from the time they have finished their puppy jabs.

Is it just with 10 clip offs you have a problem with? Maybe you have seen poor coats because the owners are just not capable of looking after the coat properly?

Just think how many show dogs are clipped from being babies!!

I really don't see the problem with trimming pups from the time they have finished their puppy jabs.

Is it just with 10 clip offs you have a problem with? Maybe you have seen poor coats because the owners are just not capable of looking after the coat properly?

Just think how many show dogs are clipped from being babies!!

As far as poor coats I mean the texture. As in always staying like puppy coat and not changing into adult coat exactly right.

There isnt that many breeds that are clipped for show and if they are not adult clips until the puppies have grown substantial coat by then imo old enough to clip the body coat. Not sure about Lowchens and PWD's they too have a different type coat like a poodle, and seem doesnt to affect it in the same way as other breeds.

This is excluding clipping face, throat, feet, bums etc. I do this at any age.

Hi'a

Thanks for all your comments the person who taught me clipped pups all the time so i hadn't ever thought it might be a problem definately something to think about.

I do think that my customers would just take there dog somewhere else if i said no but i will try to get them in for a wash dry and tidy up for a couple of times to get them used to that before going for the clip. I don't ever go short with a pup so fingers crossed there coats will be ok.

Thanks again :D

I by the sounds are as confused as you at the moment Muckypup. You have been taught one way, myself another. Do you comprimise and meet somewhere in the middle :D

I thought I was doing the correct thing, but as with everything things change,

I guess from now on I might not be so set in my ways and asess dogs on an idividual basis.

They should all be assesed on an individual basis. Take my breed for instance, you can work on the coat as much as you like as a puppy, but if you then clip off the adult you will go back to just having a soft coat again (there are a few excdptions to this but those dogs tend to lack undercoat anyway)

The problem here my fellow groomers is everyone IS taught differently... There is no school natioanlly like for vets and nurses that teach this is the way to do it. There is no standardising out there. Anyone can open up and groom.

I fell confortable grooming pups because as it has bee said breeders clip at groom their show dogs from a very young age so why shoud pets be any different.

We will all find a happy medium...