Denis Cody - Trainer In Vic?

BJean

Does anyone know Denis Cody - dog trainer?

Would also like to know if any trainers had a response to Denis' letter to Dogs Victoria (p.12 January issue)

which essentially described the use of choke chains as antiquated and foolish,

and that play and food reinforcement are the hallmarks of modern advanced training methods.

I see how many peple and their dogs suffer daily from the foolishness of the 'slip' and 'choke' or correction collar as a training device. If you can show me a dog club class where more than 50% of owners actually know how to use one, then it is a remarkable club. You would be blind to think that is is a truly successful training device particularly in the hands of inexperienced dog owners.

Edited by lilli

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see how many peple and their dogs suffer daily from the foolishness of the 'slip' and 'choke' or correction collar as a training device. If you can show me a dog club class where more than 50% of owners actually know how to use one, then it is a remarkable club. You would be blind to think that is is a truly successful training device particularly in the hands of inexperienced dog owners.

Never heard of him.. But agree with this quote 100%! Always remembering though.. It's not the equipment that is abusive, it's the application. Which I think he is trying to stress in that quote.

I know him. I did see the article and I think he may post here as well.

This is edited as I don't think I should have named names.... :p

Oooops, sorry, it's way too hot here in Victoria :p

Edited by Sardog

I agree Cosmolo

But I have lost count of the number of dog owners I've had to steer away from the correction chain, due to not using them correctly, no matter how much instruction is given. I am sugesting they are not for everyone, just as they are not for every dog. I have seen way to many obedience clubs that allow owners to continuelly use correction chains incorrectly.

So stating I agree with him 100% may have been taken the wrong way. I meant in sugesting that the tool insn't abusives..its application can be.

I agree 100% with his post, you only have to go with your eyes open to know it's true.

I see dogs, puppies with a check chain on that are being strangled, if the dog is that strong it needs one on one training. :p

I wasn't sure

but i interpreted the letter as anti correction chain and other things (Michael Tucker). I'm have no opinion of Mtucker - but why do trainers when they want to have a go at another - condemn training tools in general?

Denis could have written "MTucker is a banana for xyz "

instead my interpetation of his letter was that correction chains were antiquated like MTucker.

I also see how dog's llives are restricted because of the slavish refusal to not use motivation or rewards in recalls ... the only reason why i would bother to read MTucker's articles is to remember how not

to train my dogs and how far we have come in a short while.

it is wonderful for me to deal with the facts of how dogs work

and I have two well motivated, well mannered dogs that play tug, win a bit, are used to food for reinforcement and have achieved advanced training goals.

I don't see why a trainer has to bag another at all. I wouldn't be wasting space in an article bagging another trainer or their methods.

Pax, maybe thats one of the differences in my group sessions, most of the people there have had some one on one training at some point. And there are two instructors- one to take a class and one to provide one on one help. No strangled dogs in my classes.

Lilli. so did you want us to slag him?

No :p

I had my interpretation of the letter and thought I would ask trainers theirs - which they gave.

Where else would I ask but trainers who know?

why would I want you to 'slag' another?

Not being a trainer I thought I would ask trainers????

is that slagging?

Edited to remove croatian temper.

Edited by lilli

Never heard of him.. But agree with this quote 100%! :)Always remembering though.. It's not the equipment that is abusive, it's the application. Which I think he is trying to stress in that quote.

Thanks Mark

I didn't consider that as the focus of 'debate' in the letter :p

I don't see why a trainer has to bag another at all. I wouldn't be wasting space in an article bagging another trainer or their methods.

Thanks Cosmolo

what started / instigated the question was my sister showed me the article and asked why show dogs use slip chains and other dogs used choker chains etc

I was hoping that someone may have known Denis Cody (or Michael Tucker for that matter) and therefore could elucidate further.

ETA: just read the title: folly of coke chain - maybe too much has been done and readers are tense? :p

I shall fix to avert discontent

Edited by lilli

I have seen M Tucker in action and I agree with the snippets of information allegedly written by Dennis Cody.

I haven't trained with either of these people but if I asked the trainer we have I would trust him to give me an honest opinion about any trainer who uses antiquated methods. This enables me to warn a novice dog owner who is looking for a trainer about where not to look.

I do agree it's a bit off a trainer writing about other trainers in a negative way in an article intended for the general public, if the article is open for public notice. I see nothing wrong in a trusted trainer giving a private opinion of others in the field.

eta: I am not a trainer.

Edited by cavNrott

I wasn't sure

but i interpreted the letter as anti correction chain and other things (Michael Tucker). I'm have no opinion of Mtucker - but why do trainers when they want to have a go at another - condemn training tools in general?

Denis could have written "MTucker is a banana for xyz "

instead my interpetation of his letter was that correction chains were antiquated like MTucker.

I also see how dog's llives are restricted because of the slavish refusal to not use motivation or rewards in recalls ... the only reason why i would bother to read MTucker's articles is to remember how not

to train my dogs and how far we have come in a short while.

it is wonderful for me to deal with the facts of how dogs work

and I have two well motivated, well mannered dogs that play tug, win a bit, are used to food for reinforcement and have achieved advanced training goals.

I have a well trained and well behaved dog thanks to Michael Tucker, and no, he did not use check chains as he did not approve of them. He preferred nylon slip chains.

Lilli, PM me if you want more info.

I read Denis' letter to the Editor, but wasn't sure what he was getting at. I've only recently joined VicDogs and have only the December and January issues of its magazine (although I've been aware of Michael Tucker's articles and read of the general distaste they've been producing).

1. Denis says
    "Today I received the latest DOGS Victoria magazine."
    So, my first question is "when was Denis' letter written? What issue is he referring to?"
  2. Denis says
    "What has tipped me over the edge and caused me to reply is the snipe at the profit motive of a group of professionals, and a crack at a particular type of training device ..."

Now, I tried to work out exactly which of MT's article's Denis is referring to (ie WHAT has MT said that is a "snipe at the profit motive of a group of professionals"; and which part of what MT's aritcle has had a "crack at a particular type of training device"?), but seeing as I've only just recently become a member of DogsVic, I've only got December 2007 and January 2008 to refer to. It wouldn't be the January issue, because that's the issue that has Denis' letter published. And it didn't seem to be the December issue.

I'm a bit puzzled, because these quotes seem to go against what the other part of his letter is saying. :p

Edited by Erny

Thanks Erny - oh good you were confused also :thumbsup:

I don't read MTucker's training articles (nothing on MTucker but sometimes reading training articles is a headache in that you have to have a visual artist in your head all the time - like trying to read how to ride a horse - better done in practise)

so I don't know what Denis Cody is referring to either.

I was hoping someone here would know.

:thumbsup:

Edited by lilli

I have a well trained and well behaved dog thanks to Michael Tucker, and no, he did not use check chains as he did not approve of them. He preferred nylon slip chains.

Lilli, PM me if you want more info.

thanks toohey

trying to work out what is what with whom ! :thumbsup:

Thanks Erny - oh good you were confused also :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Yep. I'm comforted that you were too, Lilli. Makes me feel less dumb. :thumbsup:

Can someone here explain ..... or perhaps guide us to the issue of DogsVic that Denis is actually referring to?

Edited by Erny

Might have been December, would need to look back.

I want to know what "crack" MT made "at a particular type of training device" and what "snipe" he made at "the profit motive of a group of professionals".

MT's article in December's issue only talks about lead length. No "snipes" or "cracks" made to or at anyone or about any training devices, as far as I could see.

So I presume it must be in one of his articles prior to December.

Thing is, I don't know how long DogsVic take to publish people's letters. I also don't know how long Denis took before he prepared and finalised his letter.