Paralysis Ticks In Sydney - Which Suburbs Have Them?

kbo

I'm looking for a listing of suburbs that I should be concerned about, with regards to ticks.

So far I have not been able to find any publications online that provide a list of Sydney suburbs that have tick problems - most just have warnings about being careful if you travel to a tick infested area, but I would like to know which suburbs are tick infested!

I know ticks can travel via clothing etc so any suburb can be at risk but I'm more interested in the suburbs considered tick 'infested'. Can anyone help? I live in South West Sydney.

Yes, once you get past Narrabeen on the beaches, it can be really bad.

Also, Wahroonga area is bad too. Anywhere that adjoins bush is risky so I've stopped walking in Pennant Hills parks, Berowra area is really bad also.

But I've heard that ticks have now been found on some dogs in the inner west this year!

Don't know about the south but wherever it is bushy, you'll find ticks - it would seem even in places you don't have bush now it can happen.

Sutherland Shire is a bad tick area, of course only in the bushy areas, probably not Cronulla for instance. Also the possums carry them and they can fall off in your backyard, so nowhere is safe. A daily going over is mandatory for animals in our area. We have a goat and often get ticks off her, however they don't seem to affect her as badly as the dogs. Sometimes she even scratches them out with her horns.

We all seem to be tick aware and often find that we will find a lump and always check it out even when we are patting someone else's dog!

Almost forgot to mention - they get on humans also and itch like mad. We probably get them off our dogs, sharing creatures that they are. So I always look if my dogs are scratching as there might be a tick in that spot. Another sign is that the dogs drink a lot of water, maybe the tick poison raises their temperature?

The joys of living in a bushy area.......

Noels.

This year is really bad - all areas are affected.

We are about 8k from CBD (Nth Shore) and one of ours got a tick. Our neighbour found a tick on her cat and it's the first time (she's lived here 50+ years) that one of her animals was affected!

Hopefully the tick drama will be over by mid March.

Anna

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am in the Bankstown area, my closest bushy areas are by the Georges River but I've also travelled out to the beaches in the Sans Souci area for walks. My pup has the type of fur that makes a good hiding place for ticks so I'm quite paranoid! I've been sticking to footpaths and parks with cement walking tracks since December - I only feel safe letting him on the grass our own backyard!

It's worth keeping an eye out for symptoms as well as checking every day. I know it sounds alarmist but paralysis ticks are buggers. They cost us thousands, and we used to check our dogs everyday, religiously.

Places the vet found them once their back legs had gone:

in the anus

up the nose

in the tear duct