Clippers Andis

I noticed in the latest Petstock catalogue there are two adnis clippers on sale.

1. One is the Andis Pet groomer Kit (usually $99, on special for $59) and

2. Andis Pro Clipper (usually $299, on special for $199).

My question is this. I have two shih tzus about 8.2kg each. I guess i liek to keep it short in summer and let it go long in winter. This is just for home use. Will the cheaper Pet Groomer kit do the trick? Or will it just die after a year?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Up to now i have just used a pair of scissors.

Thanks

Edited by chuckie500

Short answer is: I'd buy neither.

Forget the cheaper one.

I bought Andis Pro MGB as my first clippers- you can get better for a similar price- they're only a very basic clipper.

The Andis AGC2 is far superior.

If too pricey, I'd look at the Wahl KMSS series.

Try Clipperworld for clippers: http://www.clipperworld.com.au/shop/index....Cat&catId=1

For blades: http://www.freewebs.com/clipperbladesharpe...ipperblades.htm (nicestmann77 on DOL!)

Totally agree with poodle wrangler. The pet clipper kit is a low power clipper and is a total waste of money, and the MGB is an over rated and over priced clipper. I would buy a professional clipper such as the Andis AGC2 at $245 or a Wahl KM2 for around $200.

Thanks everyone.I bought one. I don't think i sould say which one. But one of mine was absoluted petrified of the clippers. it took about two hours for him to come round aftre the other one had ago. At first I thought he would never get used to them. I have this new respect for professional groomers!

Thanks everyone.I bought one. I don't think i sould say which one. But one of mine was absoluted petrified of the clippers. it took about two hours for him to come round aftre the other one had ago. At first I thought he would never get used to them. I have this new respect for professional groomers!

:D Well, you have to live with them.

Should I mention how much quieter the Andis AGC2 are? - they're the next ones I'll be getting :D.

You can try putting cotton wool in your dog's ears to dull the noise.

I think its the vibration. i'm not sure how to do the feet & face. do you go against the direction of the hair or with it? Any hints or tips pls.

thanks

If new to clipping, start by going WITH the fur growth.

To go shorter using the same blade, go AGAINST the growth.

Don't tolerate any silly behaviour while you have clippers in your hand- never reward the dog by letting them get out of clipping.

If you want less stress, just do a small area. But once you start, finish it on your terms :( .

You are NOT hurting the dog by clipping them and if they don't like the vibration or noise- they need to learn to get over it!

Be firm, but don't expect them to stand there for 1 hour for their first time, either.

The dog is reassured when you're firm, but fair.

Sorry, I can't advise for Shih Tzu's having just given the MIL's Shih X a poodle pet clip :(

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Make sure you are clipping your dog on a grooming table. Reassure your dog when turning on the clippers and reward with a treat for the dog just standing.

Start to clip slowly going with the hair (as Poodle wrangler said). Teaching the dog "Stand - Stay" is the best way to train your dog on the table and also handy for the vet. Be firm and reward the good behaviour.

I use Andis AGC Professional - very quiet and great for any nervous dogs.

Shih tzus are probaly the worst breed around for doing feet.

Hav ethey been groomed before is this there first time??

To be honest getting them done professionally for there first few grooms makes a world of difference as the wrong handling can create so many more issues.

What blades are you using??

How do you want the face to loo?/Do you want a bit off breed character or short??QWith the face i groom them to the amount of hair on the body & to what the owners want,I use a combo of scissoring.clipping & thinning scissors to get the final blended look.

The feet you normally scissor .With the dog standing lift up each foot brush the hair down & scissor around the foot & inside the pad.

The dogs that have a tainty usually arent always afriad of the clippers but object more to having to stand still & not do what they want & this is why its crucial for you to groom on a table & be confidient & in control ,The dogs must respect you & trust you & then grooming will be accepted.