Just Switched To Prey Model

Lemonlime

Hi everyone,

Yesturday I switched my boy onto the Prey Model Raw Diet. I am very excited and already have a stocked freezer. My good friend Wylie has been helping me out and has given me some good articles to read, but I would love any tips from those of you who feed this.

So far I have gathered Roo & Rabbit mince, Diced Beef, Chicken Frames, Chicken Liver, Chicken Necks Sardines in oil and Eggs. How am I doing?

I remember ready somewhere DeltaCharlies diet plan for her/his dogs and it looked nice and easy.

I want to make this an easy no fuss thing as at the moment I am worried I am giving too much of one thing and not enough of the other, so any pointers on how much bones, meat and organs I should be feeding each week would be great.

Also, who adds suppliments to this diet? Does anyone add a health booster or any oils?

Many Thanks :love:

(And thanks to Wylie for letting me pester her so much, as always :) )

Congratulations :)

Once you get into it you will realise just how easy it is. I don't even think about it anymore, I just grab random things out of the freezer each night. Dinner is as much a surprise to me as it is the dogs lol. I remember being really worried about how much of each thing to feed (which is where that plan came from you are referring to) but I quickly relaxed and stopped letting it worry me. I just keep an eye on the dogs and their poo (if it is really light and they are constipated you need to cut back the bones a little; runny means they probably need a bit more bone to add hardness to it).

Ive got a really bad migraine so I don't want to stare at the screen too much right now, but feel free to PM me anything. Although with Wylie as your mentor I cant see you needing any more help :love:

Bec

I want to switch too but I'm not game enough to feed quite a few things, like pork and I'm never sure what bones/types of cuts to buy.

If anyone can get a copy of "Works Wonders" by Tom Lonsdale there is lots and lots of information in there.

I do have a PDF copy of it but it takes forever to send to anyone.

I know that you can buy it over the net for a small fee so it may be worth while to download for anyone that is truly interested in Raw/Prey feeding.

If anyone can get a copy of "Works Wonders" by Tom Lonsdale there is lots and lots of information in there.

I do have a PDF copy of it but it takes forever to send to anyone.

I know that you can buy it over the net for a small fee so it may be worth while to download for anyone that is truly interested in Raw/Prey feeding.

I am reading it right now :) (I got it from my uni library)

Ok, again MANY thanks to Wylie, she is a gem!! :laugh:

I have made up a little diet plan to help get me started.

Monday: Minced Rabbit & Chicken Necks

Tuesday: Chicken Frames & Sardines in oil

Wednesday: Minced Beef and 1 Egg

Thursday: Minced Roo & Chicken Necks

Friday: Chicken Frames & Chicken Liver

Saturday: Minced Rabbit & Chicken Liver

Sunday: Minced Beef & 1 Egg

With Vets All Natural Omega Blend added everyday.

Ok, again MANY thanks to Wylie, she is a gem!! :p

Hi CountingSheep! Feeding the Prey Model diet is pretty exciting - I've been doing it roughly since Bean came into my life last March, and I still really enjoy searching out different meats at the best price, and watching him eat them!

Just some tips/hints. The 'sardines in oil' you're feeding sound like they're coming out of a tin. Just remember these are cooked, not raw, which is what the diet is all about. Visit a fresh fish shop and have a look what they've got - I buy large, raw salmon heads for just 50c each, and also small whitings or even fresh sardines.

Also, one of the big things about the Prey Model diet is feeding the dog meat/bones/organs as he would actually eat them. He needs to be able to rip/tear/shred the meat - too much mince as opposed to actual cuts of meat should be avoided. The chicken frames & necks are good. I'd recommend fish heads, lamb necks, shanks, kangaroo steaks or tail pieces, turkey pieces, goat, rabbit, chicken giblets, lamb hearts etc.

I do use mince (mainly chicken or kangaroo) - as a treat in Bean's Kong in the mornings. I pack it in there as tight as I can the night before, and then freeze it. It's a great boredom buster (for an hour tops, anyway!).

You asked about supplements... I don't use any. If you're on a Prey Model diet, you shouldn't need supplements, as the dog is getting everything it needs and nothing it doesn't. I just have to look at my dog's shining coat and healthy teeth to know everything's fine.

All the best for the diet change! The big thing about Prey Model/Raw diets is the research - you find out new things every week!

It feels really good to know you're giving your dog the best life and diet you possibly can, and as nature intended. :laugh:

post-11976-1200397618_thumb.jpg

Ok, again MANY thanks to Wylie, she is a gem!! ;)

Hi CountingSheep! Feeding the Prey Model diet is pretty exciting - I've been doing it roughly since Bean came into my life last March, and I still really enjoy searching out different meats at the best price, and watching him eat them!

Just some tips/hints. The 'sardines in oil' you're feeding sound like they're coming out of a tin. Just remember these are cooked, not raw, which is what the diet is all about. Visit a fresh fish shop and have a look what they've got - I buy large, raw salmon heads for just 50c each, and also small whitings or even fresh sardines.

Also, one of the big things about the Prey Model diet is feeding the dog meat/bones/organs as he would actually eat them. He needs to be able to rip/tear/shred the meat - too much mince as opposed to actual cuts of meat should be avoided. The chicken frames & necks are good. I'd recommend fish heads, lamb necks, shanks, kangaroo steaks or tail pieces, turkey pieces, goat, rabbit, chicken giblets, lamb hearts etc.

I do use mince (mainly chicken or kangaroo) - as a treat in Bean's Kong in the mornings. I pack it in there as tight as I can the night before, and then freeze it. It's a great boredom buster (for an hour tops, anyway!).

You asked about supplements... I don't use any. If you're on a Prey Model diet, you shouldn't need supplements, as the dog is getting everything it needs and nothing it doesn't. I just have to look at my dog's shining coat and healthy teeth to know everything's fine.

All the best for the diet change! The big thing about Prey Model/Raw diets is the research - you find out new things every week!

It feels really good to know you're giving your dog the best life and diet you possibly can, and as nature intended. :laugh:

Thanks for the reply :p

I will go into the market tomorrow and look for some RMB and maybe cut the mince down to a couple of days a week, and use mainly RMB instead.

Any of you feediing fruit seeing as wolves do eat fruit??

I certainly don't add fruit to their food but they are free to graze on it in the yard if they want to - strawberries, blueberries, blackberrries, apricots, cherries, plums, apples and pears - they have no interest except for the strawberries which one will nibble on sometimes. If they don't want to help themselves I won't make them eat it by adding to their dinner

The current foster does like to chew the zucchinis, but I think that is just for fun.

Fruit are like lollies to dogs/wolves and they'll injoy the sweet sugaryness whenever they can find it.

I don't deliberately feed fruit to my dogs, but don't mind if they occasionally snack on fruit found outside.

This looks really good; can anyone suggest the difference(s) that may be made for puppies? (if any)

I have just become a proud 'mum' of the littlie shown below and have two adult dogs - one a dal so i know his diet has to be limited in purines which are in beef, offal and even spinach (!)

Cheers

post-20044-1200521062_thumb.jpg

Lilith asleep on the sofa

twoweis

The only difference for puppies is you would be feeding more to them as they are growing.

If you have a dal i would be pretty much skipping a lot of the beef and just using other sources of meat that he has no issues with.

Once you get started its fairly easy to work with.

My 5 week old babies get lots of variety already. Some foods they play with and others they get stuck into. They love mince of any description. They play with lamb heart chunks then eat them. They play with chicken necks but really chew on chicken carcasses. They have had bones from lamb and beef to chew on.

i do feed a small amount of soaked kibble only as i dont know where they will be going but on the whole its lots and lots of meat and chewy things.

I dont feed a huge ammount of fruit, just the occasional apple. Clover is obsessed with the plum tree's so she has stripped them bare the last couple of weeks and has been sharing them with the other dogs :(.

You need to add some lamb or beef heart or chicken hearts which are not so easy to get. Taurine is an enzyme in heart that the need.

Homebrand tinned Mackrel in oil is a great food too

Did you have full fat plain yoghurt on your list?

Be a little careful with the liver, use small amounts until they get used to it, it is very rich.

Can I ask why you call this prey model and not just ordinary BARF? I thought prey model was where you fed them the fur and feathers as well?

Barf requires the addition of fruit and vegetables in the diet.

Prey or Raw is meat on the bone basically. Dogs dont eat the fur or feathers of prey. I have chucked our killed dead chooks to some of mine and they just take off all the feathers and spit them out anyway.