Premium Dry Dog Food

Hi Dolers,

i am looking at changing my dogs dry food from a supermarket brand to a more premium brand.

My vet has recommended Hills science Diet, but i have heard a lot of bad feedback about this feed & would like some other suggestions & reccommendations.

Baileys mum

Guest Piximatosis

Try running a search, there's lots of threads on this :(

Some suggestions

Nutro

Eagle Pack

Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance

Nutrience

Innova

Royal Canin

Advance

i am looking at changing my dogs dry food from a supermarket brand to a more premium brand.

My dogs get Eagle Pack holistic, which is excellent. Lots of good suggestions here but be aware that not all brands are available in all areas. I live in a large country town and the only choice I have is Eagle Pack, Royal Canin, Hills or Advance for premium foods. I think I can also get Iams, but I don't think it's as good as Eagle Pack or Advance.

The guy at the local Petstock outlet told me that if I bought a large bag of premium quality kibble and the dogs didn't like it (a definite concern when the bag costs over $80) I could return it for a refund as long as it was over 2/3 full. That is something that's definitely worth enquiring about.

Some of my lot are on Proplan, they seem to be doing well on it. I like it because it meat has the main ingredient rather than grain.

Is the first ingredient dehydrated meat? If not once you get rid of water (during processing of the dry food) it stops being the first ingredient and falls way down the list.

Another Nutro fan here, it is a super premium food, full name Nutro Nautral Choice. Unfortunately due to AQIS restrictions not all their products are available here.

Nutro is also not avail throughout Australia.

Suggest you first look at the ingredients and guaranteed analysis before making a decision.

We look to avoid corn, wheat, animal by-products, added colourants and chemical preservatives.

Also with a super premium you do pay more but then you feed a lot less.

My guys get Hills science diet Active,they have fabulous coats and because it is concentrated not much come out the other end. I have tried them on eagle pack but found it did not suit them,coats became coarse and duller.

Feed what your dog does best on, not what others believe it should be fed,it may not be best for your dog.

Edited by sheree_e4

Some of my lot are on Proplan, they seem to be doing well on it. I like it because it meat has the main ingredient rather than grain.

Is the first ingredient dehydrated meat? If not once you get rid of water (during processing of the dry food) it stops being the first ingredient and falls way down the list.

Vey True laffi.Here's a link that explains how some companies do it to make there product look good http://www.pawzazzpetz.com.au/gpage6.html

We feed Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance. I think it's an excellent food. :) They eat less. Less waste. Nowhere near as gassy (the less Mastiff farts the better! :)) and the boys LOVE it.

I'd also suggest Eagle Pack Holistics. I wouldn't buy the normal Eagle Pack but that's just me. ;)

Your vet will "push" the HSD - vet's make a HUGE markup on it. My guys do well on Royal Canin, But also thrive on Purina Chicken & Oatmeal from the supermarket

actually, this is incorrect. Food is pretty much the least marked up thing and vet make the least amount of money from selling it.