oonga

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

putting scratch marks in my back door :thumbsup:

OMG his hindquarters are enough to make any rotty breeder cower in shock ... poor crooked Diesel. His hock bends in still but its better then before, that leg also wobbles in the socket .... well actually he has NO sockets pretty much so the muscle is holding him together. He's skinny as a rake but he can bounce about and has a good life as far as I'm concerned. AND NO MEDICATION FOR 2 MONTHS NOW!!!!!! I'm so ecstatic with my vet she is a literal life saver :rofl:

We call him the Rotty that needs a major wheel alignment :wave: we took him to the local market Sunday and he was getting cuddles and attention from everyone. He really does a lot to show people why BYBers are NOT a place to get a dog from. But the kids adore him and one guy even stooped down with the little baby he had so she could pat him, she would have been all of about 7 months of age and she goo goo'd over D something shocking. See every kid needs a Rottweiler :love:

He's going for his Therapy Dog assessment early October fingers crossed!

Edited by Nekhbet

Thanks for the update Nekhbet :mad

How gorgeous the baby giving him a pat :mad

give him a hug and keep us in touch with his wellbeing,

hope he continues to be happy :p

let us know how his exam (assessment) goes :confused: :rolleyes:

at the moment good. His x-rays were looked at by many vets and they all just shook their heads and told me he had weeks - it was conventional medicine was in effect sealing his fate as well.

natural therapies all the way and thinned him down, build his hind muscle - I think he has a few years not a few weeks like I was told. As long as his muscles hold his hips he will be fine. His pain has decreased quite a lot as well with the acupuncture he can walk as far as the other two and even run around with them for a while. The alternative therapies vet does not see why he cannot live a reasonably normal lifespan. He's just not going to win any beauty contests too soon :laugh:

Well that is good news.

It is amazing how conventional vets err on the side of caution but our holistic vets are always so positive.

Conventional medicine said Ollie had 18 months as his cancer had invaded the local lymph nodes and the holistic vet said, just take it one day at a time and I am sure with our help he can be around for a long time yet - he is still here 3 years after diagnosis :laugh:

there was no erring on the side of caution - they told me to give him as much pain killers to keep him comfortable and PTS when he couldnt get up. If it wasnt for people here on DOL Diesel would be at the bridge by now. I feel so bad even though I spent every last cent I had buying him whatever vets told me he needed and basically I was lining my bosses pocket. He took me for a right sucker - sure have more meds *ching ching* - then questioned why I had to keep bringing him into work with me (it was a vet clinic) as space should be reserved for paying clients ;) he begrudgedly accepted the fact I couldnt leave a crippled dog at home to lie in the dirt mid winter.

I was lifting him and watching him scream trying to even take a piddle. Poor boy had to reteach himself how to wee once he was off his meds (OK i giggled once when he tried too hard to cock his leg and landed in a bush *blush*)

I was angry how they told me to give up

I was angry that they made me feel inferior because I refuse to sever the nerve in his leg or take out a morgage and let vets hack up his bones in order to 'fix' the problem :laugh:

I was angry when I went into the acupuncturist and she went 'ooooh look at those x-rays, you're a bit of a lemon - but he's fixable" because I felt that I could have killed a puppy if I had listened to the others.

I'm glad you got good advice and things are looking up for your boy.

Dont be angry with yourself though - you were listening to a 'professional' - not your fault.

I have learnt so much from these forums too. I dont post a lot but I do read a lot :thumbsup:

Hope he continues to do well

Yep, some practioners just should not be practicing.

I agree with you - our oncologist originally told us that Ollie would not see 12 months, then they said 18 tops and it is 3 years this November since he was diagnosed. They also told me that treating him holistically would do nothing for him because with no clear margins and the fact that his cancer was in the local lymph nodes there is not much they can do other than give him chemo to buy him some time.

But our wonderful vet agreed (against the oncologist) to help out and send all test result to our holistic vet in Sydney.

Of the 4 or so dogs that were diagnosed around the same time as Ollie - he is the only one that received holistic treatment and he is the only one still alive today.

Just goes to show, you can't believe everything they tell you - sometimes you just have to find out for yourself.

I am so glad that he is doing so much better - here is hoping he lives a long and happy life with you Nekhbet.

just to show how big Diesel is and his crooked hind leg. I think that hock has collapsed completely and will never go back to normal

DSC00481.jpg

surprise surprise Diesel is scratching :mad he's a tad bald in places which I think we're just going to have to live with :thumbsup: Oh yeah and for those with super sight he DOES have a lump on his front paw. He tripped down the steps over a month ago and now has a large lump still there. Doesnt hurt, doesnt restrict him so I'm not touching it the vet has had a look and manipulation she thinks its the tendon. The bones are OK *sigh*

DSC00482.jpg

showing that hind leg - it doesnt seem to cause him pain and its actually a LOT better then it looked a couple of months ago :rofl:

DSC00484.jpg

such a show off isnt he :) like every rotty.

we went for a walk on Friday through the city, only a short one but it was a little much for him. He adored his cuddles from everyone, one German lady gushed all over him she loved Rotties. Its hard to stop he, he is desperate to go for walks and he's at that age where he literally scratches the door down to go out but he cant. He struggles to get about after a while but he pushes to go more and more I dont want to say 'no Diesel no more for this week' because he doesnt understand. He struggled back to the car on Friday and even when we got home he cooled down and woofed at the roller door in the garage "where we going mummy!" :laugh: Deedle the dag.

Edited by Nekhbet

Nekhbet,

Diesel is a show off :o

he also has the classic Rotty big grin :o

It must be so hard for you guys trying to control his enthusiasm.

Love how he is spreading the love in the wider community :cheer:

YAY HE PASSED!!!! :o :o

Skoota and Diesel both passed their test today to become a therapy dog!

At the end of the month I do a course and then we get started :o Such a good boy! Well D was a little naughty and jumped up on the instructor a little but he WAS an excited rottweiler :cheer: what where they expecting :o he does have 12 months of illness to catch up on :)

Edited by Nekhbet

• 2 months later...

Deedle is going on Thursday for his new nursing home, just close to home too woot woot

unfortunately his elbows are now looking like they will shorten his life span. Despite supplements and therapies I think the fact his weight is carried on two shitty elbows is starting to take its toll. I cant make him any lighter then 45kg or he will start going into teh hideously underweight category and start losing muscle. Its not soon soon but OH and I discussed it last night we're thinking more up to 12 months before he becomes completely unhappy. He already is going back to his 'breaks' after play time by just laying in the garage for a while not wanting to get up and his elbows are bowing further outwards (think like chicken wings) to deal with the strain of his weight and bad back legs.

*sigh* We hope we're wrong but we're prepared for the worst. He's still happy and reasonably sound so we shall see what we see.

Here is a lovely photo of the big goober boy care of Vom Blaksta from the DOL BBQ:)

DSCF5557.jpg

My girl Kiza passed all her tsets to as a therapy dog but I became pregnant at the same time. Just as we were redoing her assessment she has been diagnosed with lymphoma and due to her age it doesn't look good so now we'll just have to concentrate on the lastfew weeks of life being extra special

My girl Kiza passed all her tsets to as a therapy dog but I became pregnant at the same time. Just as we were redoing her assessment she has been diagnosed with lymphoma and due to her age it doesn't look good so now we'll just have to concentrate on the lastfew weeks of life being extra special

I am sorry to hear of Kiza's diagnosis.

I guess that is what the conventional vet has suggested, just wait it out. Have you consulted an holistic vet at all? I have a 12 year old stafford with a different cancer but according to the canine oncologist and out own vet, he should have been dead about 18 months ago. He is on an anit cancer diet and has been treated holistically with herbs, lotions and potions and he is still very much here.

I am not saying the same would happen with your girl but you may be able to make her more comfortable and buy some more time with her, if you have the correct treatment.

Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy every moment she remains in your life.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just found out that our Rottie, Brodie, has bone cancer. He just turned 7 in November. It started with a lump I found on his left shoulder last Wednesday and x-rays show that it has already started to spread to his lungs. The vet gives him anywhere from a few weeks to a couple of months left to live. I am getting him started on a cancer-starving diet by starting to switch him to a grain-free food and I am going to be increasing his protein intake and supplementing with wild sockeye salmon oil capsules to give him an extra boost of Omega-3. There are a couple other things I am also going to try to see if they have any affect. So far Brodie shows no signs of being ill. He is still running around like the big goof that he's always been.

Edited by JD19