Staffyluv

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys...

I am not happy about this toe removal - not sure why, just a gut instinct that all is not what it should be. I can't really explain it but the vet has not steered us wrong yet and he seems to think the sooner the better as tumours on toes can turn nasty (must say, I have not even bothered to research this one - round cell tumour)...

The lad is sleeping inside on the lounge this morning. He went for a walk early, came home and had some turkey, cottage cheese and pumpkin and is snoring his head off. I just came back through the front door and he never even stirred - what a guard dog???

He seems to be well at the moment but I am trying to get a couple of kg's off him before he goes in to have his toe removed - he will be walking on 3 legs and and he already has issues with his cruciate's... So the leaner he is the better...

Will keep everyone posted on when and how he is doing when it is done.

Just popped in to check how Ollie is doing, sorry to hear about his toe Staffluv :rolleyes:

Ollie is amazing isn't he, such a true fighting spirit that boy :thumbsup:

Keeping Ollie in my thoughts and prayers as always :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I would let everyone know that the little lad goes in to get his toe with the tumour removed tomorrow.

God I hate myself for doing this but once again the vet points out how well he is otherwise and if we don't then it could spread and it would be more aggressive than the MCT.

Please God, no more for my little guy after this one.

Fingers and toes crossed for a good outcome

Hi everyone, thanks for the good thoughts today.

Well he is home and according to the vet everything went well and it looks like the tumour was just on the toe, no further than the nail bed.

Ollie is less than impressed with me - he is laying in the lounge with Dan and is only just starting to wag his tail for me.

We have minor complication that we have to keep an eye on, he is bleeding from the rear end again. Vet seems to think it is related to the anaesthetic and stress as he was fine this morning. The same thing happened last time he went in for surgery.

While he was out, the vet checked his stomach for ulcers and only found one teeny, tiny one that he could only just see - so that is really good news.

He has to have his bandages changed on Friday and his stitches out the following Thursday (day before good friday)...

So far so good

Thank you all so very much for the support

What a crap night. Ollie spent most of the night crying - poor boy, I really don't think his pain meds were enough and I can't give him anymore until today.

He was so bad there around 2am that I picked him up off his bed and put him in with me (OH left earlier cause the boy was crying and he had to get up early). He is such a bed hog and all he seemed to want was to lay with his head on my shoulder, then he finally fell asleep around 3.45am.

He woke up early, so has had his antibiotics and I took him out to the loo. He just had breaky and a big drink. I will wait for an hour or so before I go giving him pain meds (if he needs it).

Will update later on

Hi all,

He has been crying a bit this afternoon as the pain meds have worn off but he can only have one a day (derramax) so I am going to see if he can hold out for another hour - that way he might be able to get a whole night of sleep in.

He is having a pretty hard time because he can't put his foot on the ground and he has cruciate problems in both back legs - so he is limping quite bad today.

He is settled at the moment though and resting on the lounge after some steak and kidney (one of his faves) with a little bit of mashed pumpkin. I have set aside a scotch finger biscuit for him to have after his last tablets in an hour and his pain meds. That should brighten him up - he usually only gets milk arrowroot biscuits.

Thanks for keeping us in your thoughts

Hi Anne

He was still really sooky when he woke up this morning but after breaky I gave him some more derramax and he has slept most of the day so far. He just came out to the office and he is walking on his foot now, so that has to be a good thing.

Poor little old man, he looks so frail sometimes. He goes back to the vet tomorrow for a bandage change and on the Thursday before Easter to get his stitiches out.

The vet was confident he got the whole tumour with the toe. I chose not to send it to pathology this time around. I just don't think I could take it if they said they did not get it all and he had to lose his leg - at this stage ignorance is bliss. Both the vet and the oncologist agree - we should just concentrate on him having a good time from now on and not put him through anything more than his vaccinations every second year and a blood test to keep an eye on him every 3 months.

While he was out the vet had a look down into his tummy to see if he could see any ulcers and he said there is only one tiny wee little one and it is nothing to worry about. He said he does have some oesophagitis (spelling??) and that the meds he is on should be enough to assist with that. He take omprezole for it.

Will keep his thread updated