Is This Kennel Cough?

4 Paws

I had my 3 dogs(2 x gsd and a foxie) in kennels over the long weekend for the 1st time,dropped them off Friday morning .I picked them up Monday afternoon and yesterday i noticed the foxie had avery horsey bark and than he was sort of sneezing but it probably sounded more like he was trying to dislodge something up his nose.

Also noticed one the the shepherds was doing the snorting thing like the foxie today as well.

Does this sound like the start of kennel cough?Should i stop walking them in case it is to stop it spreading and if so for how long?

Edited by 4 Paws

mine were in the kennels for 1 week all sneezing when they came out and continued for 4 more days, taken to the vet and he thouhgt allergy, two days later the two dogs that didnt go to the kennels began sneezing, so do not be surprised if it isnt some sort of virus.

I'd have a good look up their mouths, into nose etc. Possible grass seeds?

Sounds a lot like when one of mine had KC vet diagnosed- wasn't so much a cough as trying to bring up something.

KC can be treated at home with the usual care you'd give a person with the flu- rest, plenty to drink, maybe some Benadryl (feel better not curative).

Any sign of a worsening cough and I'd be up to the vet.

They can get an infection in addition to the KC (like a pneumonia) which might need antibiotics. No antibiotics for KC itself as it's a virus.

It could be KC but unlikely the dogs got it from the boarding kennel with that time frame. Or it could be from barking themselves hoarse while they were boarded :rofl:

Did cross my mind when the foxie started barking funny he had been barking too much :thumbsup:

Did a google search on incubation period and came up with between 2-14 days so i guess kennel cough could be a possibility,will see what happens over the next few days but in the mean time will keep them at home just in case

There has been a sneezing bug going around in the last month. Have heard of at least 8 dogs from different families getting it. No other symptoms apart from sneezing, quite contagious but self limiting.

The hoarse bark is definitely from barking himself silly at the kennels :rofl: Some dogs practically give themselves laryngitis from barking so much!

I took Gomez to the vet this morning for the same thing - he had been sneezing, snorting, coughing, sounds like he wanted to cough up a hairball or something - he has had this since he was little, but the episodes usually last about 5-10 seconds and they stop by distracting him or petting him - yesterday they started going for 2-3 minutes and couldn't stop - today it sounded more gurgly, so off to the vet we went -

I was offered 3 possibilities:

1 - Kennel Cough

apparently very easy to catch from any dog

2 - problem with the soft palate

because he's had it since he was little, this could be a possibility, could be that it's too long and blocks his trachea sometimes, causing the difficulty breathing, but not deadly, just uncomfortable - long term solution, endoscopy to identify and then surgery to correct

3 - paralysis tick

coughing and hard breathing are classic symptoms

She checked him out thoroughly and he has no tick (I check him constantly anyway) but still, keep an eye out for other symptoms in case the tick is up his nose or up his bum and we can't see it...

So, the end result was to give him a low dose of antibiotics just in case it is kennel cough and it develops into something else, but keep an eagle eye on him in case it is a paralysis tick and if he does get better with the medicien, then fine, if not, will have to look into the endoscopy and surgery...

This morning after his coughing fit he ran around like a loony, ate his breakfast as normal and went for his morning walk, everything as normal, now he's sleeping and snoring, which he doesn't usually do, porr little guy...

Hope this helps you a little with your guys and that everyone is feeling much better soon!

phone the kennels & inform that your not sure what it is but your dog is doing thiis .They then can keep an eye on the other clients,.

they may have had isues at the kennels & not told you are they have no idea or it could very well be due to the barking .

They could have been bathed in something different.Maybe sprayed with a perfume type cologne or simply reaction to something different

We just had KC. It started out like the dogs were choking on something in their throat, or trying to vomit something up, rather than sneezing, and every so often they'd bring up some white/clear phlegm. We used Benadryl and Manuka Honey until Stevie started to get snotty nosed after about a week of coughing, then went to antibiotics.

I know the dog that originally infected our girls was down at the Leichhardt canal park almost every day he was sick, the owner had no idea he should quarantine, and so hundreds of dogs there would have been exposed (very social dog and owner).

nothing else has developed,just the sneezing so i guess it's not kennel cough just as Morgan said a sneezing thing going around.

I did email the kennels and they said they foxie was doing a fair bit of barking so that's where the hoarsey barking come from