Hills Science Diet - Eagle Pack

I have read a few posts on here where other people recommend Eagle Pack dry food to feed your dog. I was just looking at their website and there are so many products out there I don't really know which one to choose!

Our chocolate labrador puppy (Fraser) who is coming up to 9 months has been on Advance when we first brought him home from the breeder, and then we switched him to Hill's Science Diet - Puppy Large Breed. He has been on that ever since and it was recommended to us by one of the salespeople at Pets @ Home in Fountain Gate.

Since he is at the end of his dry food tonight, should I bother switching him over to Eagle Pack? I have been looking on the Eagle Pack website and I have been looking at Holistic Select Large Puppy Formula - would this be the correct type of dry food that I could feed a 8-9 month old lab?

Any advice would be welcome, I will probably head down to the local pet store later today to purchase some more dry food - also should there be a period of introducing him to a new dry food, mixing the new with the old?

Regards,

Shaun (sticks1977), Gaylene and Fraser :o

I personally would go to EP Holistic Large Puppy. Now there are different trains of thought about how long to feed puppy food - some stop a 6 mth, others 12 others 18 etc. I have a golden retriever that has had skin (allergy) problems and he is 11 and 1/2 mths now and his food also ran out this morning, so from tonight onward his is going to be fed EP Holistic Duck Formula instead of EP LB puppy.

Also I noticed a massive change in stools when I change Benson over from his first bag of Science Diet to EP LB Puppy - much nicer!

I used to feed my boys Hills Science Diet and I found they did perfectly fine on it, despite all the bad rap it gets, however they now have Eagle Pack after I heard it was the best and I would definitely recommend it. See if you can get some samples of Eagle Pack first to make sure your dog likes it, I was able to get several sample sized bags of each variety from the supplier which was great!! I was always told to feed the puppy variety until they are about 12 months old. I've used both the Holistic Duck and Holistic Lamb and Rice formula and they are both fantastic!!

Usually it's best to switch over foods gradually, so perhaps consider buying the smallest bag of the food he's on currently. At 9 months you could look at either the EP Holistic for large breed puppies or the EP Holistic for large breeds, and pretty much any of the other Holistic formulas now - it's up to you. It certainly won't hurt staying on the puppy formula for a while as the protein level isn't too high. EP have a product which makes it easier to make the transition as well, but i'm not sure where it's sold other than where i buy my food from (delivery), so will be too late for you. I'm not sure if they'll go as far as Cranbourne West, but i get my food delivered by K9&Katz kitchen. They deliver free to certain areas. I'm in Narre South, but you're a bit further, but worth emailing them. Their prices are the same or lower (definitely lowert than Pets at home!!) than anywhere else. website is: k9katzkitchen.com.au .

Thanks to all for the replies - I went down to Petstock in Cranbourne and the staff did not seem to know too much about their product and the lady who served me asked three times what breed of dog I had - and I told her three times!!!

It was a useful trip though as I grabbed a small bag of Hill's Science Diet - Puppy Large Breed to keep him going for another week or two and also took some brochures from Royal Canin, Eagle Pack and Hills.

I then checked a few replies here and after finding an online pet food website I tracked down a 15kg bag of Eagle Pack Holisitc Large Breed Puppy Formula and ordered myself a bag. Hopefully it will arrive sometime next week.

I also did a search and it seems that Eagle Pack is popular with other dog owners on this forum, I remember that Petstock in Cranbourne had a small display of Eagle Pack products but they only had the Super Premium Puppy Formula in stock at the time - after reading a few more posts it seems more beneficial for Fraser to have the holistic option.

Again thanks to all - not sure what I would do at times without the help I receive here! :laugh:

Regards, Shaun (Sticks1977)

I think Porkys Pets now stocks eagle pack - better to get it there than the petstock in cranbourne.

However if they don't have your food in that brand, go down to Dishlickers Boarding Kennel in Pearcedale - they sell eagle pack and normally have the full range available. Thats where we get ours from!

Edited by SilverHaze

I refuse to shop at Petstock Cranbourne for many reasons, including them asking me to pull expired stock off their shelves for them (15kg bags of food????!!!!!). I have never been there since but have had quite a few negative experiences there.

Try Porkys or Robbo's. Otherwise K9Katz and kitchen have the holistic puppy as well.

I had my puppy on almost the same diet!

I started her on Advance rehydratable puppy, then changed over to Hills Science Diet ionthe advice of a vet...

Then after reading these forums, and some of my own reading, i swappe over to Eagle Pack Holistic chicken and rice (for puppies and dogs) and i am SO GLAD i did...

We have actually been asked so many times what we feed her, because her coat looks so good. Id definately recommend making hte switch, you wont regret it.

I bought my food from Fin and Sootie, on Cotham Road in Kew, but i have seen a website that stocks and delivers and the prices are the same as the EP website.

Good luck. The stuff gave my dogs the trots no matter how slowly I introduced it.

HeartandSoul I am very surprised to hear this, you are referring to one of the Holistic varieties? I can understand that some dogs may react to the corn in the standard Eagle Pack range, but I have never heard of anyone having problems with any of the Holistic products.

A friend of mine who is a very well-known breeder in Belgium, phoned me the other week and suggested that I do a switch to Eagle Pack as it is the dry food the top kennels in Europe are now using. The comments that have been posted on this thread back up what my friend was telling me.

Ever since Walthams [PAL] bought out the dry food component from the French company, Royal Canin, the Dutch, Belgian and German breeders had been having problems with it. Not as good according to them. Eagle Pack has been given the thumbs up and their dogs are thriving on it.

I got a sample of Eagle Pack and the dogs love it (like most things) but when I read the ingredients, they started with "lamb meal" - is this the scrapings off the floor of the abattoir or what? ground up bones of lambs? and the next ingredient was brown rice...and there was corn meal etc Didn't sound as good as the Science Diet.

Info about meat meals from the Eagle Pack website:

We don't dilute our meat ingredients with water.

We use a very concentrated form of meats known as meals, which are 11 times more protein-concentrated than "meat". Foods that list "real chicken/beef" or chicken/beef first include the water weight in this ingredient. Chicken/beef in this form consists of 70% water.

and from Wikipedia:

Lamb meal is a popular ingredient in dog food. It is the dry rendered part from mammal tissues, specially prepared for feeding purposes by tanking under live steam or dry rendering. Though the meat has been cooked, dried, and ground, it is still meat, and has not had any added blood, hair, hoof, horn, hide trimmings, manure, stomach and rumen contents added to it.

What ingredients are in the Science Diet that you feed?

Warning, thread hijak :happydance2:

I have my two on Bonnie Working Dog and have also decided to switch mine to eagle pack. They are very active gsps 2 and 4 y.o.

Which one would you suggest for me and do you have an idea of how many cups of food they would need. They currently have 3 cups a day of the bonnie working dog.

Thank you

I work in dog grooming and we also sell up market pet products, treats and premium foods. I have a litter of puppie that i am weaning at the moment and whilst my dogs are fed a natural diet i thought i would get some dry food to introduce to the pups.They stock science diet, eukanuba and iams. I put the hills science diet behind the counter to buy it when i knocked off, but when i went to, i was reading the bag and the first ingredient was ground wholegrain corn. I couldnt believe it, so i promptly put it back. We are stocking eagle pack in the next few weeks, which im excited about, cant get it anywhere down here and my bosses were very surprised that i knew what it was. Anyway im thinking of giving it a go even with my dogs, not just the pups. Im finding it hard to feed 2 natural meals a day with all the preparation etc. So i'll swap one meal for eagle pack i think.

Thread hijack is over. I found an earlier thread and am switching my two to EP Holistic Lamb and Rice as soon as I've used up my Bonnie. The feeding instructions say 250 gms of Eagle Pack versus 500 gms of Bonnie. This only adds $2 per week per dog to our grocery bill :happydance2: