Dew Claw Problem

belgavin

Because of plenty of walks on hard surfaces we don't really need to trim our JRT's main nails, but his dew claws have always been a problem as he is fussy about his paws and squirms/squeals/latches-onto me whenever he sees the clippers anywhere near him. I have attempted for a long time to get him used to them and the feeling of touching his paws, he is fine most of the time but I cannot get the actual clippers around a nail before he spazzes out.

So, as you can see in the pic, we had trouble with his claw that is on the left in the photo. Took him to the vet, who cut it off all the way down and now it seems to not really be growing back, which is probably a good thing. This was about 2-3 months ago. Now the right claw has done the same thing the other did and has been caught on something and turned sort of sideways. There has been a small amount of bleeding and I have applied a little diluted dettol.

What are the chances it'll just fall of if I let it go, or is there a high risk of infection of his thumb/paw if it is left? I'll take him to the vet again but last time seemed almost pointless as he clipped it off in 2 seconds and said it probably would have fallen off anyway. The nail seems almost broken when touching it and I can push it almost horizontal. I tried to clip it last night and came very close to just getting the tip off but he became very traumatized. There is no swelling or anything at the base of the claw, it is just dark from I guess dirt and maybe some dried blood. His actual thumb/paw is a little pink but no swelling.

Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks.

clawpw7.jpg

Edited by belgavin

If you're not confident to cut off the nail yourself, a groomer might be able to do it for you and charge less than a vet.

Otherwise, get a helper. Use a towel or blanket to wrap up the dog, leaving only the paw exposed and just do it. Short and sharp.

I grind down my dog's nails, including dew claws. They don't like it, but put up with it because they know I won't give in.

No amount of hysterics will get them out of it :thumbsup:

My guess is that the hard casing of the long one has cracked/ broken at its base and needs to come off. The quick will then be exposed and healing will start. Don't know that I'd recommend a DIY job under the circumstances but removing the nail quickly would be the go if it was.

I had exactly the same thing happen to my greyhound boy. He was doing mad zoomies and broke one in the same was you describe. What a carry on, he limped and sooked and screamed his head off when I touched it!

I was worried about infection, in the end OH held him and we just endured the screaming while I cut the offending bit off. He was fine 2 seconds later when he got some roast chicken :love:

Wrap him up and cut it off, way less stress when it is gone, I had a friend who had to get her grey's dew claw surgically removed after it got infected the same way, very costly and painful.....

i'd go to a vet too... if the nail is broken it will likely need to be pulled out. I wouldn't try it yourself as nail injuries can be really painful to dogs. If they are causing problems, I too would consider having them removed.

if your not confident that you can keep the dew claws short yourself over the life time of the dog best thing is to book him in and get them permamently removed by the vet.

UPDATE - just took him this afternoon and he needed to be put under to have the nail clipped back right to close to the skin with a bone-cutting implement. Apparently the break was way too close to the skin to be able to clip it when awake by the vet or me, too much pain for the pup. So that's done and he's all bandaged up for a few days. Permanent removal is and was an option but I opted to make sure that I can keep them clipped down short enough from now on so no damage happens again, even if it means taking him to the vet for special visits just to do that. Thanks for your replies all again and I'm glad I took him and didn't wait until it fell off or something because infection would definitely have happened. He is on anti-biotics now