Washing Line Worries...

Sticks1977

Well after a trip down to Bunnings Warehouse and several dollars (and hours) later - I have the clothesline protected from Fraser so hopefully no more washing on the ground when we arrive home.

I ended up getting some star pickets and some fabric mesh to put around the perimeter of the clothesline, and remembered from one of the posters who posted in here to get some plastic protectors for the top of the pickets.

For those that are curious and love photos - I have put some before and after pictures below. The first shows Fraser being rather cheeky and the second - well you can judge for yourself whether you think he is going to be able to get through and continue his crusade of clothesline mayhem!

BEFORE :D

DSC01523.jpg

AFTER :rainbowbridge:

DSC01524.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another trick that I was told about at obedience school but again have not tried myself is that if you find a piece of clothing pulled off the washing line (or a chewed plant or a hole dug) get a stick and proceed to beat the stuffing out of the offending item (not the dog) and abuse it and carry on like an idiot. The theory is that the dog will think that the thing it has attacked is bad (hence the reason it is being beaten) and probably not to be interfered with in future. The more passionate you are in your abuse of the subject the better it will work on the dog and the crazier your nieghbours will think you are.

Yeah, right!!

Sorry but I've just spurted coffee all over my keyboard. Can't stop laughing.

The beating of the offending item will surely get you a ride to the funny farm.

I read about this in a book too! Can't remember which one though. They gave the example of if a dog chewed up your shoe, you beat up the shoe and yell at it etc. It did warn not to do it outdoors where neighbours could see/hear you though!

Looks good I hope it works

But a real pain for you to get in and out of

I fostered a Lab female for 4 months 2 years ago, she was a shocker for pulling and chewing washing on the clothes line

I filled stockings up with chilli's and hung them on the line on their own for 1 week, she pulled them down but spat them out, after 3 days she worked out they tasted yuck and has never pulled clothes off the line again, in my home or in her new one

Great photos. He looks quite pleased with himself doesn't he?

I have had labs for a long time and have 5 here at the moment of different ages and have never had any pull things off the line.

However our yard is almost an acre in size so dogs have plenty of running room and tend to not get bored. I also don't leave them out of their kennel runs when I am not home. They do spend lots of time outside though, while I am inside.

I think habits like chewing and pulling clothes off the line are usually due to boredom and keeping themselves occupied! Very normal for any puppy and keeping the temptation out of the way is a good idea like you have done. However don't be surprised if he finds something else to keep him occupied. The orange barricade could be fun to pull and chew!

Give him lots of stimulation by playing with him, training, taking for walks in different environments, perhaps a sand pit and/or wading pool!

Good luck he looks like a lovely dog and will (or may :thumbsup: ) eventually grow out of his mischievious ways.

Fraser is a great looking pup. Does he dig holes? If he is bored that is one of the things he will do to fill time (as well as pulling washing off clotheslines). Maybe one of the reasons I've had no problems with Ebon doing these things is that I built a sandpit early on to redirect his hole digging, plant destroying energies. It seemed to work quite well. It is worth doing properly though. If your up for a bit of a construction project here is Ebons sandpit. I found one sleeper deep was not enough so went two deep. Subsequent to this photo he dragged off the shadecloth so reattached reinforced with dog fence. He also managed to shift the top row of sleepers so they had to be re-enforced.

post-19975-1202274352_thumb.jpg

Hmmmmmmmm I am going through the same problem. Archie is almost 6 months old and decided that pulling washing off the line was fun! I have caught him at it a few times and no matter what I do, he thinks it is a game. I talked to a lady here at work (she knows a lot about dogs) and she said unfortunately when I have washing on the line I will need to crate him. I did that on the weekend and that was fine. I even crated him for half an hour thinking maybe he has learnt his lesson but nuh after about 5 minutes he was at it again.....

Luckily in the summer time it doesn't take long for things to dry. The funniest thing is he only takes my husbands stuff off and leaves mine alone. :rolleyes: :rofl::rofl: Not funny I know.

She said that maybe when he gets a bit older like 1 1/2 years old he might grow out of it but we will just see.

Will be a bit of a pain in the winter time!

Unfortunately the barricade I put around the washing line didnt end up lasting too long. Most of the stakes are out of the ground and the orange mesh is just in one big mess underneath the clothesline.

I ended up asking one of the trainer's at ADT and they mentioned to put up balloons with a little bit of water in them - had already tried that so needed another plan...

She then mentioned to put some dencorub on the clothes and also the pegs attached to some of those clothes. So far the washing has been on the line for two days (have only made certain items accessible to him that I have rubbed dencorub onto) and so far he has not touched them!

Might be worth an idea if any of you are having similar problems...

Unfortunately the barricade I put around the washing line didnt end up lasting too long. Most of the stakes are out of the ground and the orange mesh is just in one big mess underneath the clothesline.

I ended up asking one of the trainer's at ADT and they mentioned to put up balloons with a little bit of water in them - had already tried that so needed another plan...

She then mentioned to put some dencorub on the clothes and also the pegs attached to some of those clothes. So far the washing has been on the line for two days (have only made certain items accessible to him that I have rubbed dencorub onto) and so far he has not touched them!

Might be worth an idea if any of you are having similar problems...

Hmmmmmmmmm good idea, haven't thought of that one. might try that on the weekend!

:confused: I thought he'd enjoy the challenge .

Well, he gets10/10 for persistence!

Ok..

Have you tried hanging out the washing with him on a leash alongside you?

I would be doing this, and making him do a down stay!!!

This both shows him that he CAN behave nicely around temptation, and that YOU are in charge of the washing.

I would then crate him or whatever so he has NO chance...

We currently have a young Koolie dog, who will possibly be going to a farm with horses.

from day 1 when he arrived, I took him to see the horse we have, and when she was present, I made him down/stay.

After only a few days, whenever we would walk over to the horse, he would lie down and ignore her :confused:

Hopefully he will now assosciate the horse with being calm. (hopefully)

I wish you luck with your boy..but would also recommend he get some really tough/ working-type toys to expend his energy on.

does he have some 'work' to do?

Does he have heavy things to toss around, or something strong to chew?

My whippet Avril was a nightmare at around 6 months of age for pulling off clothes from the line and running around the yard with them. I was amazed at how high she was able to jump with those long muscular legs....to grab socks and undies that were so high off the ground!!!

I read one of Dr Harry's tips about soaking some rags in vinegar and then coating them in cayeene pepper, and then hanging the rags on the clothes line. I was like...NO WAY...until the day she chewed up some rather expensive items one morning. Mind you....I hung them on the line, went back into the kitchen and it was only a matter of seconds before I heard a yelp and she came running around from the clothes line licking her nose. I then felt sick with guilt and washed her nose with water and then played ball with her for ages out the back... :eek: Mind you....she wasn't as keen to pull things off the line after that.

It was also a struggle getting the clothes on the line with her standing over the basket, shoving her nose into everyting, just waiting for the opportunity to grab and run. No matter how much I tried to push her away...she was back with avengence. So what I did whenever I was about to come out with clothes to the line, I would thow her an empty bottle of coke with the lid removed. Whenever she tried to bite it or jump on it, it would shoot out away from her..and this would keep her amused for a while so I could hang things out in peace.

I have to admit though...I had a good laugh at your pup sitting next to the whole orange thing you constructed...looking very pleased with himself with clothes scattered around the floor. And then to read later that he destroyed that too... :love::love: Don't you just love that puppy stage???!!! :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
My only suggestion is to have washing hanging ONLY when you can supervise/contain the yellow peril!! :clap:

You can correct him for a week..then one day he will succeed..and it is ,for him, FANTASTIC!!

You need to compltely remove him from temptation,sorry.

Ditto.

I did not allow either of my dogs access to the washing line till they were 18mths. They have never interfered with my washing.

I have a dog pen that I put them in while the washing is out.

We have only had Noodle for 5 weeks but I have been putting the pen around the washing line - reverse of this suggestion (depends on your line - on the wall, Hills hoist??). This seems to be working well as then she has free reign of the backyard and I don't get the washing tampered with :clap: I actually purchased two steel pens (one is currently being used inside at night and in the first few weeks for toilet training etc. The other we used for 2 weeks to introduce her slowly to the back yard. Once the toileting is under control and she is more self-controlled (she will be full grown by then I will be joining both pens up and putting them around the washing line! No go zone and she wont be able to get over them as they are the tall ones. After having a husky and kelpie in years gone by that enjoyed taking socks off the line (what's with the socks????!) and burying them I am determined not to go there again! I figure the cost of two pens is cheaper compared to the cost and grief of wrecked/swallowed clothing. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

I have a border collie cross called Leela who is around 10 weeks old, and she has just started attacking the washing...At least 4 items of clothes have been completely destroyed since her reign of terror began!

I was actually beginning to think that I was the only only one in the whole world whose puppy did this! :laugh: Thank God I am not alone! I think alot of it has to do with the fact that we got a new cat a week or two ago, and she hasn't been seeing so much of us...

She hasn't done it the past couple of days since I have begun leaving her in a little playpen area where she can still see in to us, but also see outside...

However, if she does start to do it again I will take some of your tips... :laugh:

Jo!

I have heard that putting dog poo in socks or stockings and pegging them on the line helps to discourage pulling washing. :laugh:

Now that may work, but I think I'd find the cure worse than the problem :laugh:

The only way I have found to avoid this problem is not to have the washing out unsupervised when they are under 12 months, after that they seem to be OK but if they learn it as puppies they can take a looong time to outgrow it.

I do have dryer.