Best Brand Of Harness

it depends

i like to use a leather harness because they last longer

i just found the design i liked and went to a leather man and he made it up for me

or you could get a blackdog harness or a fordogtrainers.com harness

the harness i use for tracking is the same as i use for bite work for my security k9 training you can find what they look like on the fordogtrainers web site

i also just got a nylon tracking/carting harness of them to try carting with and iam very happy with it very simple and strong

i havnt used black dog one but i have been told by different people that they are good

Hey Molasseslass, I have two different types the Rogz harness for my toller boy and then i have the callicoma one for my border collie, I have also seen people use the Ezy dog harness but i only use them for the car, but you are welcome to have a look at all three at the next training session.

I have a Blackdog harness and I love it. It seems to be very comfortable for the dogs to wear and is very easy to put on. They also make the harness to your dogs measurements.

Also, I have found the customer service at Blackdog to be excellent :happydance2:

Hey there,

I use Black Dog harnesses for the dogs at flyball. They are basically the same as their tracking harnesses, only with an extra handle (just looking at the pics, never had a tracking one to look at.)

The flyball ones are brilliant :happydance2: - they allow complete movement without any restriction or rubbing. They have a double restraint across the chest so it is not putting too much pressure on too small an area. They are a more natural feeling fabric (almost like a heavy cotton or jute) than a lot of the harnesses so they are quite soft on the dogs. There is also only one clip that is not obtrusive in any way.

The only downside to them I can see is that if you get one out and count backwards from three the dogs seem to go into an uncontrollable barking frenzy! :happydance2::happydance2:

Cheers

Tony

I have a black dog harness too, and love it. I phoned them and asked for it to be adjustable as my dogs are slightly different in size. Not sure if it is standard for them to be adjustable or not but mine is.

I also agree it is very easy to put on

Powderpuff - Are you happy with both different types you're currently using?

The only downside to them I can see is that if you get one out and count backwards from three the dogs seem to go into an uncontrollable barking frenzy!

:clap:

Thanks for all the information on harness types. :thumbsup:

With a lead for tracking, could it be a problem if you buy a lead stated to be 10m but it's slightly under or something? Does your lead ever get measured?

Im not to sure about the lead, i just bought the black dog one and i think its 12 meters?? I cant totally remember, but mine has never been measured at a trial.

Im happy with both mine with the dogs, I know that Roxy had a few tried on her and they just didnt seem to sit right on her because of her coat and then when i bought the callicoma it was right from day one, and the one rebel has is fine for him also but i think with his coat it wouldnt matter what harness he used.

Your welcome to give them both a go, Im not sure if anyone at the club has a black dog one?

I have a leather harness made for me by a local saddler (who also makes them for quite a few people in Sydney) that is now 15 years old and still in good condidtion. It was made to measure for my first tracking dog but fits all 3 I have now really well.

Which pooch are you harnessing up?

I've got a couple of different harnesses that i've used on the boys...have to say my fav has been allweather ones that i got from 'fordogtrainers.com' - will see if i can nab a pic from the site...

dog-nylon-tracking-pulling-police-harness.jpg

Managed to find one with a BM boofer in one :):bottom:

nylon-dog-harness-tracking-walking-handle-patrol-3.jpg

I've got a fancy leather one from that website ( Fordogtrainers.com ) but have barely used it as the above one is much easier to use, put on and the boys have found it comfortable in the so far badly thoughtout rollerblading attempt (it would help if I could rollerblade properly!) It's so far proven strong enough to even hold Sabre while he plays silly-buggers without clips coming undone etc. I've so far found it much better then the Rogz one (wider straps, better placed for what i want etc) and same with the leather one - and it nylon is fine wet or dry. Should look at selling the other harnesses i have shouldn't i? :)

Got a question for the Brissie people in here: Do you belong to a club? Which one and where do you train? I'm planning to do tracking with my Weim and looking for some training clubs.

If you get in contact with Evergreen Tracking Club they should be able to point you in the direction of some training.

Which pooch are you harnessing up?

Eventually all of them (tracking is very cool :shhh: ), but immediately the two pups.

I've been thinking more and more the style like the Fordogtrainers you've pictured would be the most comfortable for the dog, gotta save my pennies though (damn quality being "expensive" :rofl: ).

ETA: Oh now that's just a sign -- the FDT harness is on special right now!

Edited by molasseslass

molasseslass, like Powderpuff, I have a Rogz for Ember. It moves a little but I do like the support around the chest area. But it did take me about 3 harnesses before I found one I was happy with.

Also the legal requirement is a 10 metre lead. At competitior's meeting's the judges do check equipment - I've never seen them measure any leads but they would have a good idea on what it should be like. My lead is about 11metres. It's better to be safe than sorry, I always thought. But you can talk to Deb about it.