Titer Test Results

Guest Tess32

Thought i would pass this information on for anyone in the gold coast/ brisbane areas.

Animal Options at Ormeau do the titer test in house for $69.30 and you get the results in 30 minutes.

The girl i spoke to was so helpful and a wealth of knowledge.

I have just had my lot re vaccinated as they are going into boarding and as of yet they will not except titer test and whilst at the vets 3 of the nurses where all at the counter and i asked for a costing of the test and not one of them knew what i was talking about, when i spoke to the vet he was all for it but said it was not something the business offered as of yet and admitted he wasn't up to speed with it all but would look into it and get back to me. I don't think i will hold my breath.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought this might be interesting to you all.

The following is taken from this months Newsletter from our Pathology Lab who does our titre testing :)

Probably most of it we already knew, but it's nice to see it printed and going to vets!

The 2010 Guidlines from the WSAVA are also really good reading too.

http://www.greatdanerescue.com.au/Docs/vaccination_vinfo.pdf

• 4 months later...

Not only that, but the vet said straight out, she's almost 10, I wouldn't vaccinate at her age. She also didn't recommend anything but the 3 year C3 for my younger dog, but I said I'm only vaccinating to take him to training, they want the kc and bordatella component too. Now I feel obliged to keep training for the rest of the year while clubs will accept him :D .

My vet recommends C3 and only KC for dogs going to kennels or ones that haven't been out much that are suddenly going near a lot of dogs. She figures the regular/trial show dogs have a lot of natural immunity to KC from often being exposed to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Vaccinated 8 weeks: Canvac 3 in 1

Vaccinated 13 weeks: parvo only

Titre test at 5 months:

Parvo 1:80

Distemper 1:80

Considered 'more than adequate' to say the least!!!!

And surprised a few people, including the vet. Glad I did the titre before doing any more vaccinations.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I had my two girls done before my new puppy came home.

Darcy, vaccinated x 2 for puppy and at 12 months and Zee, vaccinated x 2 as a puppy both showed usable immunity :thumbsup: (I haven't gotten the actual results off the vet).

I did get titres for all 3, but at $216 each for the testing alone, not including the consult and blood draws I think I'll be checking prices next time and not bothering with the hep. :eek:

• 3 months later...

Just had my guys results back;

The two boys were 1:80 for parvo and 1:20 distemper, last vaccination was 2006/2007

Jovi has the lowest with 1:20 for parvo and only 1:5 distemper, last vaccination was 2011.

Interesting as Jovi is my main trialling dog and the boys don't go to as many places as her but going by the results, it looks like only they have come into contact with it recently or Jovi has an easier time fighting it off?

I dunno either way, vet doesn't want to even think about vaccinating the boys but Jovi I will get retested in 6 months or so and see if the levels have improved/stayed the same/gone down.

• 3 months later...

Let them know that it is very common for the Distemper to titre low over time because of the fact that Distemper isn't common in many areas and therefore lack of exposure goes towards the antibodies evolving to cell memory. Point being of course that your test does evidence antibodies. No such thing as "More immune" or "Less immune". It's a case of "immune" or "not immune".

Let them know that it is very common for the Distemper to titre low over time because of the fact that Distemper isn't common in many areas and therefore lack of exposure goes towards the antibodies evolving to cell memory. Point being of course that your test does evidence antibodies. No such thing as "More immune" or "Less immune". It's a case of "immune" or "not immune".

I agree Erny - which is why it would be better if the lab results reflected that...immune or not immune rather than giving levels of 'immunity' which confuses the matter.

I've just read this whole thread & didn't realise that titre testing has been going on for so long by so many. I first heard about it from Dr Fougaire sp, back in about 2002. It was then only available to be sent to America. I soon stopped vaccinations for my BC when she was 9 y/o especially after 2 friends elderly dogs died after being vaccinated.

It all got me to thinking way back before I had my 1st baby I had a rubella vaccination. My titre came back, from memory, 1.2 which the doctor said was low but I was still covered & my cousin had a titre of 3.4. I wasn't convinced so had the rubella vaccination again before my 2nd baby. While pregnant with my 3rd baby my 2nd son had a terrible rash. We took him to children's hospital where he was tested for rubella. I was so worried that the doctor also tested me. Again my titre was 1.2.

After reading Dr Jean Dodds report on vaccinations & immunity, being you're either immune or your not I thought that must have been the case for me.

I haven't asked my vet about titre testing but Tilba has had the tri-annual vaccination twice over the years with a yearly KC vaccination. I got a reminder letter for Panda saying he's due for his annual vac. I don't know if he was given the regular vac or the so called tri-annual vac. I'm of 2 minds whether to wait another 2 years or have him titre tested.

Is there anyone in Sydney who titre tests? & where are the bloods sent? Can anyone recommend a Sydney based vet who does titre testing?

ETA: On a raw feeding forum I'm on they only either give their dogs their puppy vacs &/or their 1st year vac & that's it for life. They say as has been said here that vaccinations + worming + flea spot ons etc compromise their system.

Edited by luvsdogs

I've just read this whole thread & didn't realise that titre testing has been going on for so long by so many. I first heard about it from Dr Fougaire sp, back in about 2002. It was then only available to be sent to America. I soon stopped vaccinations for my BC when she was 9 y/o especially after 2 friends elderly dogs died after being vaccinated.

It all got me to thinking way back before I had my 1st baby I had a rubella vaccination. My titre came back, from memory, 1.2 which the doctor said was low but I was still covered & my cousin had a titre of 3.4. I wasn't convinced so had the rubella vaccination again before my 2nd baby. While pregnant with my 3rd baby my 2nd son had a terrible rash. We took him to children's hospital where he was tested for rubella. I was so worried that the doctor also tested me. Again my titre was 1.2.

After reading Dr Jean Dodds report on vaccinations & immunity, being you're either immune or your not I thought that must have been the case for me.

I haven't asked my vet about titre testing but Tilba has had the tri-annual vaccination twice over the years with a yearly KC vaccination. I got a reminder letter for Panda saying he's due for his annual vac. I don't know if he was given the regular vac or the so called tri-annual vac. I'm of 2 minds whether to wait another 2 years or have him titre tested.

Is there anyone in Sydney who titre tests? & where are the bloods sent? Can anyone recommend a Sydney based vet who does titre testing?

ETA: On a raw feeding forum I'm on they only either give their dogs their puppy vacs &/or their 1st year vac & that's it for life. They say as has been said here that vaccinations + worming + flea spot ons etc compromise their system.

Where in Sydney are you? Most of them in the metro area do, it's not uncommon anymore. If in doubt, head to All Natural Vet Care at Russell Lea, but even my local vet titre tests (granted, my local vet is about 500metres from All Natural Vet so it's not exactly middle of nowhere :laugh: )

• 2 months later...

Ok - after some thoughts. I have just titre tested 9 of my kids for parvo and distemper. Three of the kids aged 7, 4 and 3 have come back with very low for parvo <1:5. One of these has had auto immune issues in the past with a poly arthritis, one is tgAA positive - but is clinically well and the last is fit and healthy. Jean Dodds says any result proves immunity.

In the past one of the kids had low distemper <1:5 and I opted to do nothing. I retested 2 years later and it was then 1:20.

So in my head my options are

Do nothing and retest in 3 months time

do nothing and retest in 2 years time

Vaccinate with a C3

Vaccinate with a parvo only.

thoughts anybody????