Desexing Puppy

Odette

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People have different opinions on this. 6 months is the average, others prefer to wait till the pup is physically mature. I'll be desexing after 1 year.

This is one of those "multiple choice" questions, as people have different opinions and the answers depend on the type/breed/gender of dog and how dedicated its handler is to ensuring it is safe while still entire.

My dogs are all speyed. They are all rescues and were done as young adults. When I buy a pup (if I buy a pup) it will be done as early as possible by a vet with sufficient experience in early spey surgery. Dogs are also much easier than bitches if that helps! :laugh: My male was done at five months but that was 20 yrs ago and thinking has changed a lot since...they're done as young as 8 wks now. :(

I've booked her in for this friday, she'll be ~ 6.5 months old.. Although we aren't sure if she's in heat right now, she does seem to pay more attention to herself in that area, so Im going to pop by the vet's tonight and get them to have a quick look.

I have all my rescue pups done at 8-12 weeks

I have not had a problem with any of them, they recover faster and never notice it has been done

It is also much cheaper to desex them when they weigh less

My own dogs, my male was done at 9 months, my female at 3 years, due to breeders contract

If she was not on breeders contract she would of been done at 6 months before she had her first season

Yeah I probably should have had her done a couple of weeks ago, but i wasn't sure, and had received conflicting advice.

She needs to have retained baby teeth removed at the same time, her canine baby teeth haven't fallen out, so i was kinda waiting for that to happen too (to see if she would need them removed so it could be done under the same anaesthetic).

Hopefully she isnt on heat, i've booked in for friday, but Ive just been doing some reading and Im not so sure.. I'll find out tonight anyway!

Guest Tess32

It should depend on the breed. I'm all for desexing rescue pups, but there are studies that *may* indicate that early desexing contributes to various medical problems in some breeds, like osteo in Rotties.

I have absolutely no intention of breeding her at all, now way - ill leave that to the registered breeders and experts!

i can see how that might happen (osteo in rotties for example), if you disrupt estrogen production.. Estrogen is a regulator of bone homeostasis, particularly of bone resporption. That's why osteoporosis often occurs in post-menopausal women. It's all linked to T cell production of estrogen and the RANKL system (from memory).

Is $260 expensive? Inc. pain relief and antibiotics...

Plus $40 per tooth for removal....

Well it's not cheap! I would be asking what you are getting for the price. What type of pain relief, what monitoring is given during and after the procedure, how experienced is your vet? It can be hard to judge value between vets.

She's tiny, pug x cavy, 4.5 kg

She's on heat right now though, damn, i was hoping to get her before she went into her first season, my bad. I should have organise it earlier :/

Im going ot give the Lort Smith a call, see what they charge. It does seem a little pricey to me too....