Pups And Chicken Necks

joelle

You could always cut them up into little bits... someone eles migth be able to help....

I sometimes give my whole ones bigger ones i cut up...

But for an 8 week id maybe give them afew more weeks...

I always supervise meal times, but I'd give him a go on chicken necks now. :eek: He might not manage to make a hole in them, so just try again next week. It won't do him any damage, just might be the source of some frustration for him!

i would give it a go.. but do supervise so they do not get lazy and try to swallow it whole.

puppies do get lazy if they try to chew it and get frustrated then try to swallow it whole which can be dangerous and choke her

if he cannot chew it or is taking ages.. then cut it up into pieces. this will then not cause any choking problems

good luck!!

I feed them chicken necks from the day I bring them home. If you freeze them first you wont have to worry about them gulping them down, its too cold for anything but chewing. Also a great way to teach them safe bone-eating habits. My dogs still get their bones frozen most of the time, although at least I know that they will eat them sensibly if they are thawed.

My opinion / :laugh: I would be feeding whole necks..maybe frozen!

I am a firm believer in giving pups/dogs LARGE bones for their size, so that there is NO possibility of them swallowing it.If they don't eat it all.so what?

Cutting bones up..esp chicken necks seems a bit dangerous to me.. they may try and swallow a piece which is 'just' too large or something :eek:

Well my Border babies get chicken necks and broken up chicken carcasses from the time they start teething and really eating.

The Pap babies even get them!

I currently have a 10 week old and a 12 week old happily munching on turkey necks. They usually get chicken necks so today was something different for them.

My babies dont tend to be gutses and chew everything well. Guess its cos they are so used to getting lots of raw foods.

My 12 week old Mini Poodle puppy has been eating chicken necks ever since we have had her (8 weeks) and she was eating them well before that at the breeders. I feed them frozen. So, my question is when are lamb necks OK? I bought some today and thought I would give them a try tomorrow when I am home to supervise - thoughts?

Trish :o

I feed them chicken necks from the day I bring them home. If you freeze them first you wont have to worry about them gulping them down, its too cold for anything but chewing. Also a great way to teach them safe bone-eating habits. My dogs still get their bones frozen most of the time, although at least I know that they will eat them sensibly if they are thawed.

Glad to hear that someone else freezes them ... fabulous for this hot spell Melbourne is having. I have been freezing the necks for our Puli and she is now 14 weeks and has been having one every second day since 8 weeks. I initially thought it would just slow her downa nd give her something to do ... the safety point is a good one I hadn't considered.