4 1/2yo Border Collie Quickly Tired

dima

Hello. I have a 4 1/2yo Border Collie who used to chase the ball endlessly. Within the last year I noticed a remarkable decrease in her endurance. Whereas before she would chase the ball for at least twenty minutes before she got tired, now she needs to rest after only four. Is this normal for her age? She seems healthy in every other way. Thanks very much.

Hi..

this is not one which can be responsibly answered on an internet forum :thumbsup:

her apparent lack of stamina is a concern..no, at her age she should still be as fit as a fiddle!!

here are some things to think about before you take her to the vet for a checkup!

Is she overweight?

How much other exercise does she get? what distance does she walk each day, and has this changed ?

Is she on Heartworm prevention medication?

If not, has she been tested for Heartworm?

Did she have an illness or accident around a year ago, perhaps?

Does she sleep more than usual? Pant more than usual? Drink more than usual?

When was her last full check-up?

Have you changed her diet?

Have a think on these things , for a start..

but I would suggest a Vet visit to put your mind at ease.

Agree - vet visit indicated, sooner rather than later, and I'd be asking for a full blood chemistry panel. Even if it doesn't show anything abnormal, it's still useful to have as a baseline for the future. And no, that's not normal for a 4 ish yo Border Collie.

A vet visit is needed to ascertain what is going on with your dog.

It could be any number of things - when my lad lost all energy, it turned out to be his thyroid.

But it could be heart worm, a virus, an infection, worms etc... Lots of things, that is why you need to see a vet.

Best of luck

" You've proved you're better. Shall I take you out to celebrate?"

I guess this aimed at me..

No im not better but certainly wouldnt have waited a year & then ask on a forumn.

A dog at that age that ran for a good 20 mins & now is buggered after 4 mins rings giant alarm bells in my mind but maybe i think different . & yes i would have been at the vets asap not because im better because its a big concern