How Do I Stop My Puppy Piddling At The Back Door?

monkeytrunks

I am getting really frustrated!

I have a 16week old Bullmastiff male pup who is toilet trained. He does not go to the toilet inside at all but I can't seem to stop him piddling around the back patio area near the back door. Once he even piddled on the back mat while watching me at the kitchen inside!!

I wash the area down and spray the area with deterrent stuff. I have placed the food and water bowls in that area as well as one of his beds and also some rubber type matting down to show him that area is not for toileting. But he even takes a whizz on the matts supposed to be used for sleeping on! He only poos in the area very occasionally.

I have another 2 year old female dog and she has never urinated in the area he is defacing!

Any suggestions on how he may be convinced to piddle elsewhere are appreciated!! :(

take him to where you want him to pee.

Just becasue hes outside doesnt mean he nows wheres right/wrong.If hes going out to toilet then go back to o basics & take him to the desired area & wait for him to go

Make sure you give the whole area a really good clean - maybe get a black light to check that you have got it all.

I know some places sell piddle posts - they are a plastic stake that is put where you want the dog to piddle and apparently they encourage to dog to piddle in that location. I have never tried one but I have had a friend who said to helped with their dog.

The other option is to take him to the area you want him to use (on a leash) and praise him when he goes.

When you say deterrent stuff did you use an enzymatic cleaner?

No I used citronella smelling dog and cat repellent. I washed the area with dish liquid (is that maybe my problem?) and then sprayed that stuff. It seemed to work for a while and then he started again. We actually had the area fenced off when he first started doing it. We then let him back in and he was okay for a couple of weeks and then started it up again. I have used the fencing to block off the gardens he has decided to dig so unless I buy more fencing I can no longer fence it off.

Is it possible he is just lazy? I even saw him piddle while sitting down once - couldn't be shagged to stand up! ;)

He has been taken regularly to the areas I want him to go (and praised for it) but he still does it next to his food and bedding. I thought dogs didn't wee/poo where they ate and slept - yeh right! :shrug:

My friend gave me a great tip to remove the odours of wee on concrete properly - sprinkle bicarb of soda on the weeing area and then pour vinegar over - it fizzes up! Then use a scrubbing brush etc to wash away properly.

Part of the issue could be that you aren't removing the scent properly.

My friend gave me a great tip to remove the odours of wee on concrete properly - sprinkle bicarb of soda on the weeing area and then pour vinegar over - it fizzes up! Then use a scrubbing brush etc to wash away properly.

Part of the issue could be that you aren't removing the scent properly.

I use bi carb powder to help remove the odour of cat urine, goes great in my shoes too!

Vets and pet suppliers use 'urine off' or similiar products, the claim is that they remove the lingering odours that we cannot smell which would attract offenders back again.

Thanks all for the great tips. I will be spending the rest of the weekend with bicarb and soda scrubbing! Yippee for me! :D

And I am glad someone else mentioned the possibility of it maybe being a yukky boy-thing. When I he sat down that day and then decided he may as well do a whizz while he was comfortable there I was pretty impressed with his laziness (I thought OH had that title stitched up ;) ) Has anyone else's dog been so lazy to do that?

• 4 weeks later...

Please more advice needed!!!

We have fenced off the entire patio area he was peeing in and scrubbed it all down. He is only allowed in when supervised. He is crated at night and never wees/poos in his bed. However he is refusing to get not going to the loo in the patio area! He sometimes breaks into the area when we are not home and goes to the toilet there. :)

The worst thing is that I separate my female dog from him when they eat - as he is VERY food orientated - he has taken to finishing his meal (outside the patio area and she is inside it ) and then piddling right near his bowl. :rofl:

Any suggestions to tackle the situation very appreciated. He will shortly being wearing the kids nappies if he doesn't start going where he is supposed to!

I've read in a wolf book that wolves will often pee on an area after they've finished eating to let other pack members know that the food's all gone and there's no point in returning to that 'kill'.

My dogs often pee on the ground where they've just eaten meat or bones too. It's totally normal. Just be happy he doesn't pee in the bowl! I've heard some even like to pee on their food before they eat it!

I've read in a wolf book that wolves will often pee on an area after they've finished eating to let other pack members know that the food's all gone and there's no point in returning to that 'kill'.

My dogs often pee on the ground where they've just eaten meat or bones too. It's totally normal. Just be happy he doesn't pee in the bowl! I've heard some even like to pee on their food before they eat it!

Eeeewww!

Mental note: move dog bowl to where I DO want him to pee! :laugh: