Hydrobaths

ellz

I use a Double K Airmax and its great for large double coated breeds.

Not sure how it compares to any other brands like Liberty but would be interested to know, Ive been looking at the Liberty ULTRAFORCE MK 2 or 3 . Anyone used these ones?

I have the Ultraforce MK2. I got it about 5 + yrs ago. It is great to use in the warmer months as it is not heated. It does blow warm air as the motor warms up. It is a bit powerful for the smaller dogs but fantastic to use on the big hairy ones. I would never part with it even though I don't use it all the time.

I use the Melbourne Dog Center twin motor drier on a daily basis.

I only have the basic Ultraforce but it is great for blowing the water out of the Cocker coats before fluff drying....and especially good for getting up between the toes which makes it easier to trim feet and not get daggy bits appearing all the time! :)

I was tossing up between a Melbourne Dog Centre twin motor stand dryer and the Beacon. Have used both but have such fond memories of the Beacon that I think that's what I will still go with.

Oh and if anybody is interested....Groomers in Victoria seem to have the best price for the Beacon. Around $25 cheaper than their competition. Not a great deal in the scheme of things, but it all adds up when you have to add freight on top.

The Melbourne Dog Centre Hydrobaths are around $1k cheaper than the Liberty hydrobaths too.....my heart is still saying Liberty, however my head is saying I should have a serious think about the MDC bath as well. The only thing that worries me is the rinse capacity. And the fact that Liberty were VERY helpful whilst MDC tended to dismiss questions and just answered with pretty much one word replies when I asked questions about their products. :)

ETA: When you're going to possibly spend some pretty serious $$$ with a company in the form of a bath AND a dryer, you'd hope to get the best and most informative assistance available.

Edited by ellz

Not sure how it compares to any other brands like Liberty but would be interested to know, Ive been looking at the Liberty ULTRAFORCE MK 2 or 3 . Anyone used these ones?

I have the Ultraforce MK2. I got it about 5 + yrs ago. It is great to use in the warmer months as it is not heated. It does blow warm air as the motor warms up. It is a bit powerful for the smaller dogs but fantastic to use on the big hairy ones. I would never part with it even though I don't use it all the time.

Basically forced air dryers are the same, and a twin motor Double K Airmax is the same as a twin motor Liberty or MDC,and the main difference is the price. MDC dryers are over priced and the servicing charges are excessive. Do your homework on dryers as the price and quality vary greatly. I have worked in the past servicing all brands and the motors in the Liberty, Double K, MDC and most others are the same.

Edited by poodle3081

Basically forced air dryers are the same, and a twin motor Double K Airmax is the same as a twin motor Liberty or MDC,and the main difference is the price. MDC dryers are over priced and the servicing charges are excessive. Do your homework on dryers as the price and quality vary greatly. I have worked in the past servicing all brands and the motors in the Liberty, Double K, MDC and most others are the same.

I had the Melbourne Dog Center drier rebuilt last year. It was $650 to replace both motors. :) I did think about getting anew one but decided to get it fixed because it is a great drier.

I had the Melbourne Dog Center drier rebuilt last year. It was $650 to replace both motors. :) I did think about getting anew one but decided to get it fixed because it is a great drier.

That repair is cost is excessive. The motors have a cost price of approximately $70 each and it would take approximately 1 hour to replace them. A cost of $250 would cover parts and labor not $650. Shop around and get quotes before getting repairs.

I know in all of the years I had my old Beacon, it only required one service and one cosmetic repair job when the head came away from the bit that swivelled. Both of those repairs put together cost less than $100. A LOT less. Both were done by a licensed small appliance electrician locally. It really does pay to shop around.

I know in all of the years I had my old Beacon, it only required one service and one cosmetic repair job when the head came away from the bit that swivelled. Both of those repairs put together cost less than $100. A LOT less. Both were done by a licensed small appliance electrician locally. It really does pay to shop around.

The Beacon dryer is not a forced air dryer and the motor used is a brushless type and they require very little maintenance. If you want a forced air dryer then you will have to go for a dryer with a brush type motor. If used in a grooming salon brush type dryers may need the brushes replaced every 6 months if used heavily. I recommend that you do not use brush type dryers for cage drying as they require more maintenance and they are also noisey in the work environment.

The Beacon dryer is not a forced air dryer and the motor used is a brushless type and they require very little maintenance. If you want a forced air dryer then you will have to go for a dryer with a brush type motor. If used in a grooming salon brush type dryers may need the brushes replaced every 6 months if used heavily. I recommend that you do not use brush type dryers for cage drying as they require more maintenance and they are also noisey in the work environment.

Doesn't affect me. I don't cage dry. Can honestly say that in my :) 22 years of preparing coated dogs for show, I have NEVER cage dried a dog yet.

I had the Melbourne Dog Center drier rebuilt last year. It was $650 to replace both motors. :rolleyes: I did think about getting anew one but decided to get it fixed because it is a great drier.

That repair is cost is excessive. The motors have a cost price of approximately $70 each and it would take approximately 1 hour to replace them. A cost of $250 would cover parts and labor not $650. Shop around and get quotes before getting repairs.

It was in the winter last year so I needed the heated drier fast. I almost had a fit and thought about getting a different drier. Any suggestions for repairs in the SE Vic if it happens again. I would hate to pay that again after reading it would have only been $250. :laugh: :laugh: I hate being told how much I got ripped off, but at the same time, I should have known better.

That is a bloody lot of grooming to pay for the repairs. I am in the wrong job for sure.

Edited by Lisa M

I had the Melbourne Dog Center drier rebuilt last year. It was $650 to replace both motors. :laugh: I did think about getting anew one but decided to get it fixed because it is a great drier.

It was in the winter last year so I needed the heated drier fast. I almost had a fit and thought about getting a different drier. Any suggestions for repairs in the SE Vic if it happens again. I would hate to pay that again after reading it would have only been $250. :laugh: :laugh: I hate being told how much I got ripped off, but at the same time, I should have known better.

That is a bloody lot of grooming to pay for the repairs. I am in the wrong job for sure.

Clipper World in Cranbourne service dryers and clippers and their prices are reasonable.

• 1 month later...
I'm just about to have a major splurge and intend to buy myself a hydrobath.

Have never owned one before and want some info/advice before I take the plunge (pardon the pun). Until now, I've always had a good shower nozzle plumbed into my human bath and spent a lot of time on my knees hanging over the bath rinsing (and rinsing, and rinsing, and rinsing.....).

As I'm now on tank water to the house, I need a hydrobath that will not use too much water and preferably one that I can use moreso for rinsing than for shampoo distribution.

So....what brand is most cost effective and efficient. I'm guessing a twin tank would be more suitable so that I always have fresh water to rinse with.

Anything else?

Hi there, I don't know if you have already got your new spa,but why don't you build your own,see details below,nicestman77

EASY SPA DOGGIE BATH

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m54/nic...ADOGGIEBATH.gif

Go to this site below for blade & clipper hints, you will find it is full of information, you are welcome to browse around.

http://www.freewebs.com/clipperbladesharpe...lipperhints.htm

http://www.freewebs.com/clipperbladesharpe...bleshooting.htm

FOR SOME GROOMING TIPS, GO TO THE SITES BELOW

Grooming Basics with Linda Kay - Grooming Equipment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy9Q_WrcYBQ

Grooming Basics with Linda Kay - Teddy Bear Cut for Gracie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVIdVFcvJvg

Grooming Basics with Linda Kay - Part 1 - Nail Care

Grooming Basics with Linda Kay - Canine Teeth Care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Id0rj4oEC4

Grooming Basics with Linda Kay - Canine Ear Care

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Scn0PNXyrM

Grooming Basics with Linda Kay - Rusty Office Bark Mascot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e8Xsr1-NvE

===========

Thanks for the links. Don't really need much help with my grooming or selecting my "tools" as such, having been breeding and exhibiting BIS winning American Cockers for 22 years, but I always like to look to see what might be new that I can try.

Your homemade "spa" is a great idea, but unfortunately I'm not in a position to plumb a permanent bath in anywhere here. The hydrobath that I have sourced and decided to purchase comes on wheels and only requires a hose to a cold water tap. Makes it so much more convenient for me in my current situation with limited water.

Am going to go with the Beacon. Have sourced a few others and received good information about Oldfield, Laser Lites and Double K but I KNOW Beacon and trust them so will go with what is familiar.