Grooming Restraints

I have been surfing an American grooming site and they all rave about a grooming restraint system called the LIP System. It seems to be a two point restraint under a grooming frame.

I am wondering if Aussie groomers use an arm, a frame or perhaps do not put dogs in any type of restraint? And what your experiences are?

I am sure I read something quite some time ago here somewhere about a new u-beaut frame but for the life of me I can't find the thread! :)

Would appreciate your thoughts as I am having hot flushes about dogs jumping off tables, hanging themselves etc .... If frames are the way to go if someone can suggest where I can get a good one that would be appreciated also as I have been unable to find a retailer. :)

never used them with the groomers or showdogs.

yes dogs have jumped & hang themselves or frieghtened themselves badly.

Many use them with no issues at all but there not for me.

You can get the arm or body frame in australia from petnetwork

I use the grooming arm with the noose. Some do try and pull away, but you wouldnt leave them standing there anyway on their own. Some like the frame, so they have more control of the naughty dogs. Its stops them moving too far away or moving around atleast.

Thanks for those replies - should have known I'd get you at this time of night Siv :)

Settrlvr - do you not have any problems with biting dogs, spinning dogs etc. My understanding is the two restraint is good for dogs who move away all the time, or sit down perhaps old dogs? We're still not open yet, this building is a tedious and time consuming thing, so still doing research without any practical :)

Edit - I wouldn't leave the dog but you hear some horror stories both of dogs being restrained and it seems equally as much with dogs not being restrained - I just want to cover all bases I suppose and make the best decision I can.

Edited by Blue Fox 001

Thanks for those replies - should have known I'd get you at this time of night Siv :rofl:

Edit - I wouldn't leave the dog but you hear some horror stories both of dogs being restrained and it seems equally as much with dogs not being restrained - I just want to cover all bases I suppose and make the best decision I can.

:):):) Me up late........... never :)

No I didnt think you would do that, but I know some that have. Its just up for anyone that reads :eek:

No I dont use a grooming arm and never have. I prefer not to restrain the dogs, but if I absolutely have to I use a noose, or a belly strap to keep some standing up if I have a sitter there is too much matting to get off with me just holding them up. This also applies to a sitter that needs some styling done with their clip, all others I just hold up.

Some do try and jump off, but I am there to stop them, and they tend to get more of a fright than anything if they do slightly slip off the edge. Whenever I am not at the groomnig table they are on the ground so there is no chance of hanging accidents.

I am just more confortable working without restraints but I know many groomers who do use them :) Its what you feel most comfortable with.

Once your dog handling skills are right up to scratch, you will find you can control the dog without restraining them as much if at all :)

Agree with settrlv, look at petnetwork, they have most grooming needs.

Edited by BC

I made my own grooming table with a support bar acrooss the top ;when i need to restrain (nauty dogs) I use a neck & or belly noose; available from pet net work ;but sound like your opening a grooming salon ;so my set up may be a little primative !! :) ;but it works

Thanks BC - I have a grooming arm which came with a table I purchased so think I will try that (if needed) first before I go out and buy anymore grooming equipment which I may not even use. Think for starters I will not use any restraints seems the safer way to go and we'll see how my learnng curve develops.

I can't stop looking at catalogues and there seems to be more stuff every day I NEED to buy :) Just sent off another order yesterday and as I said we're not even open yet!

Thanks for the link to pet network, I found a frame so if I need to go down that avenue later I know where to look. Thanks also for sharing your experience it really means a lot to me. When your learning you tend to question everything and being able to talk to experience people if a god send. :)

Edited by Blue Fox 001

Seriously you don't *need* much. Just start with the basics and go from there.

I've not ever used a frame/arm before but have just ordered a frame (Petnetwork) with two dogs in mind.

Will be interesting to see if I actually use it, have always thought of them as more hindrance than help though :)

Liberty have an excellent Grooming Frame. I use it for tiny dogs right up to giant breeds, its very strong. It has two points or restraint so if you wanted to use a belly strap you could, normally I find belly straps a pain as they get in the way and you cannot move the dog where yoy may want it ..BUT on that odd occassion where you get a large breed serial sitter :) it can be a god send. I love mine would not be without it. If I didnt have an arm or frame of some sort with some of the ferals (putting it politley) I do, I would have a permanent fluffy arm attachment :)

Edited by Doggrooma

Settrlvr - do you not have any problems with biting dogs, spinning dogs etc.

Biting dogs are muzzled.I would never rely on a grooming restraint to stop a biter.

Spinning.sitting dogs are just part of the deal & we just spend a little more time to educate them but with the right handling they learn very quickly.Some dogs in restraints absolutely flip out .Its a case of making the next experience a better one.

I've not ever used a frame/arm before but have just ordered a frame (Petnetwork) with two dogs in mind.

Will be interesting to see if I actually use it, have always thought of them as more hindrance than help though :laugh:

Thanks guys for your replies. Sorry I forget sarcasm doesn't come over clearly in print - I didn't really NEED the last lot of stuff I bought - except perhaps the Theory of 5 book :D but I just can't help myself! I see so many products I would like to try, and cause we're quite a way from anywhere I keep thinking what if *such and such* comes in I might need double sided thinners etc.

I think I pretty much still only have the basics and I'm sure it'll continue to grow. Cockerlover it doesn't sound primative at all, we might end up creating our own. While I will have the area and most of the equipment in the grooming salon I need I am still a learner and not offering to much at the moment. I hope in a couple of years I will be able to contribute with some confidence to the grooming threads :laugh:

I,ve been grooming for 22 years and have never used any kind of restraints. I,ve taught at the London Academy of Grooming and have seen a lot of dogs trying to hang themselves fighting againt restraints that were to tight, I tried to teach the students how to handle the dogs rather than cause the dog stress by restaints, what ever kind they chose, resticting free movement. Staying calm while grooming would be he best grooming tool you will ever need, let the dog want to stay on the table for you. :(

I use an H frame - just make sure that you use it in a sturdy table with a heavy base or a wrigley dog can rock the table (unless it is up against a wall) there is a chain hanging from the 4 hooks along the cross bar so the neck noose and belly strap can be positioned where needed and it is really easy to move dogs around.

I have my table in the centre of the room, so I feel it is safer for the dogs to be tied up.

I have been grooming for 13 years and have never needed to use any type of restraint, I don't like them at all I think they are uncomfortable for the dogs and very dangerous to rely on.

If you have a naughty dog be calm and patient and slowly teach it manners, if you have a dog that bites put a muzzle on it and do the same thing.

The more a dog is controlled the more it will want to fight about it the next time.

If I get a dog that doesn't like standing I do as much as possible with it lying down or sitting and then prop it up with one arm to do the rest.

This is my best friend when I wash mine:

Ezybathe Pet Restraint System

Keeps pets safely in place by comfortably cross-tying them while bathing, grooming, medicating etc. This portable restraint system gives that much needed extra hand allowing the use of both hands to lather, scrub, brush etc. Incredibly powerful suction cups attach to any smooth surface. One size fits all. Durable and adjustable straps. Holds up to 90kg animals. For use in bathtubs, showers, sinks and on tile floors.

http://vetnpetdirect.com.au/product.php?productid=17156&cat=0&page=1

Edited by GSD Lover

I use an H frame - just make sure that you use it in a sturdy table with a heavy base or a wrigley dog can rock the table (unless it is up against a wall) there is a chain hanging from the 4 hooks along the cross bar so the neck noose and belly strap can be positioned where needed and it is really easy to move dogs around.

I have my table in the centre of the room, so I feel it is safer for the dogs to be tied up.

Hi becks - that sounds like the Lip system in the US. They have chains and then just link the grooming loop to the chains where ever it is positioned best for the height of the dog. I am thinking I will just get started with what I have and see how I go, perhaps the OH can make me some sort of frame if I feel I need it later.

I will have the small dog table with the short side against the wall which will have the grooming arm on it and I have a large dog table which will be positioned in a corner so has walls on two sides of the table. We can of course move these around depending on how we go.

Will be interesting to see if I actually use it, have always thought of them as more hindrance than help though :rolleyes:

Thanks guys for your replies. Sorry I forget sarcasm doesn't come over clearly in print -

I wasn't being sarcastic :rolleyes: :)

Will be interesting to see if I actually use it, have always thought of them as more hindrance than help though :eek:

Thanks guys for your replies. Sorry I forget sarcasm doesn't come over clearly in print -

I wasn't being sarcastic :):)

Sorry Clyde - I meant my sarcasm saying I "need"more gear - I am sure I have more than enough but I just love buying new products to try. :happydance2: